Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Bury

gonzo

2 minutes ago, MickyD said:

But no mention of Eddie Davies at Bolton?

What amazes me is that teams like ManU are running up millions in debt but aren't in shit street. What happens when all these billionaire owners to get bored with backing football teams? 

I think Man Utd debt is roughly £300 million compared to an annual turnover of roughly £600 million, our ratio under Eddie/Ken was much shitter and worrying than that

9 hours ago, Roger_Dubuis said:

I think Man Utd debt is roughly £300 million compared to an annual turnover of roughly £600 million, our ratio under Eddie/Ken was much shitter and worrying than that

Agreed. Man U can handle their debts due to their massive worldwide income.

Theres the top 6 in the Premier League spending money for fun, the rest are just hamsters in a wheel feeding off scraps.

Edited by Burndens Bogs

2 hours ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Haven't utd effectively paid nothing off their debt (or very little)?

Of course they can service it, but how many years without champs league football before they start to have a rethink?

I thought it was north of 500m when the glazers took over but could be wrong 

but it’s not always unhealthy for a business to have debt anyway. 

I think it's a fair question.  They were different situations but I'm sure many of us would be saying the same if the scenario was reversed. If the EFL had allowed them to play their fixtures while they had willing players, could that have helped get a takeover over the line?

• Site Supporter
2 hours ago, Duck Egg said:

I think it's a fair question.  They were different situations but I'm sure many of us would be saying the same if the scenario was reversed. If the EFL had allowed them to play their fixtures while they had willing players, could that have helped get a takeover over the line?

Perhaps. But their regulations didn't permit it.

I suppose the review may look at that amongst other things.

To be honest, us playing the games didn't really do us any favour did it?

Thumped most games.

2 hours ago, Duck Egg said:

Steve Dale had to agree to sell. He seemingly wanted to wait till the very last second to try and get the best price possible. He may well be better off selling the assets off now without the worry of a football club. 

The difference with us is that whilst Ken had to sign off the admin sale - he wasn't running us and liquidation was not in his favour. So there was a realistic expectation that at some point he'd be forced to do it. Or face losing money and taking huge risk on liability. 

Dale on the other hand simply wanted to use every extension as a way to get a few extra quid out and was not bothered if Bury were chucked out.

6 hours ago, bwfcfan5 said:

Steve Dale had to agree to sell. He seemingly wanted to wait till the very last second to try and get the best price possible. He may well be better off selling the assets off now without the worry of a football club. 

What assets do they have that realistically he can sell? 

• 2 weeks later...

Presumably someone will get a bye in the first round of the FA Cup as Bury will not be involved whether or not they have a future.

As the competition started in August it is too late to add an extra unless they do a lucky loser draw with the 32 defeated teams from 4Q involved.

That would mean we could draw Chorley, Barrow, etc irrespective of their result on Saturday.

If any new club was to share Rammy rather than go back to Gigg then, based on the Chester/Darlington precedents, it would count against them massively in terms of where they’d enter the pyramid, and that’s before considering the suitability of Rammy for anything above NPL Premier anyway. 

If they set up as a new club it's likely to be NW counties div 2 or 3 isn't it? I'm surprised Radcliffe Borough hasn't been mentioned as an alternative.

As an aside - looking over other forums over the last few weeks I've noticed a lot of "Sad for Bury, shame it wasn't Bolton" type sentiments.  Added to all the "They should be made to lose to everyone 5-0 once to make it fair" type stuff and I've stopped thinking of the football family we kept hearing about in August. When it comes down to it, we're on our own.

Feck em. We're Bolton Wanderers. We'll do what we want.

😉

13 hours ago, Duck Egg said:

If they set up as a new club it's likely to be NW counties div 2 or 3 isn't it? I'm surprised Radcliffe Borough hasn't been mentioned as an alternative.

As an aside - looking over other forums over the last few weeks I've noticed a lot of "Sad for Bury, shame it wasn't Bolton" type sentiments.  Added to all the "They should be made to lose to everyone 5-0 once to make it fair" type stuff and I've stopped thinking of the football family we kept hearing about in August. When it comes down to it, we're on our own.

Feck em. We're Bolton Wanderers. We'll do what we want.

😉

Chester were formed as a new club but were able to enter at NPL Division One, partly because they’d secured a lease at the Deva (thanks to the council).

Darlington formed as a new club, but because they were groundsharing elsewhere rather than moving to their original ground, they hard to start another couple of divisions down. 

That said, Hereford got use of their old ground and still had to start at the bottom. 

A lot will depend on how the club are reformed in some ways. If it is going to be as a business-headed consortium then a decent illustration of investment will bump them up a league or two. If they’re a fan-owned club then they’ll have to demonstrate a serious number of members, and even then 2,000+ wasn’t enough for FC Utd or Wimbledon to start any higher up.  

On 14/10/2019 at 19:19, MalcolmW said:

Presumably someone will get a bye in the first round of the FA Cup as Bury will not be involved whether or not they have a future.

As the competition started in August it is too late to add an extra unless they do a lucky loser draw with the 32 defeated teams from 4Q involved.

That would mean we could draw Chorley, Barrow, etc irrespective of their result on Saturday.

Last club drawn gets a bye, plus the £36k for "winning" a tie.