Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

75th Anniversary of D Day

bolty58

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Been a good effort all round over two days. 

Good weather too.

Been a fantastic watch and listen( been in the car mostly) the 16 year old resistance fighter who sent letter to his parents just before he was executed was particularly harrowing, shed a tear listening to that message. 

• Site Supporter

great commemorations over last couple of days, spoiled by dickheads in Portugal. wonder how many of them would run onto a beach being shot at by live ammunition ?

another observation from watching it on television ,how few of our modern day commonwealth brethren were anywhere showing respect.

Edited by victor meldrew
missed a bit

• Site Supporter

Watching the commemorations, seeing people who were involved, noting their ages now and knowing it was 75 years ago makes you realise how young these lads were when they went through all that.

really is remarkable what that generation went through and achieved 

• Site Supporter

There is a bit of an issue with graveyards generally. Many are (at least in part) a bit tatty and suffering some neglect.

A few million off the overseas and budget, passed to local authorities, with ring feencing and a law to make maintenance happen, would make a difference.

Perhaps some contribution from the commonwealth war graves commission and royal British legion too.

I sometimes go over to Denton cemetery to 'see' family members and there are one or two service graves there which I take a look at.

They haven't been affected as far as I'm aware, but some public graves on the extremities of the site are, and it pisses me off.

Improved maintenance, fencing/hedging etc would make a difference.

Maybe getting the bad lads army in too wouldn't go amiss.

• Site Supporter

On 08/06/2019 at 16:12, Tonge moor green jacket said:

There is a bit of an issue with graveyards generally. Many are (at least in part) a bit tatty and suffering some neglect.

A few million off the overseas and budget, passed to local authorities, with ring feencing and a law to make maintenance happen, would make a difference.

Perhaps some contribution from the commonwealth war graves commission and royal British legion too.

I sometimes go over to Denton cemetery to 'see' family members and there are one or two service graves there which I take a look at.

They haven't been affected as far as I'm aware, but some public graves on the extremities of the site are, and it pisses me off.

Improved maintenance, fencing/hedging etc would make a difference.

Maybe getting the bad lads army in too wouldn't go amiss.

Someone mentioned churchyards and graveyards in Harwood/Bradshaw looking neglected on a local Facebook group. The church (Tottington Rd Methodist) closed about three or four years ago) A member responded by saying he'd bring his strimmer if folk helped out. A few community-minded folk got off their backsides and tidied up a bit.
Perhaps it's a bit of community that's missing at the smaller cemeteries. Obviously, somewhere like Manchester South Cemetery would be too big. 

• Site Supporter

Mick, you'll know the old folks' home on longsight lane. At the end of the entrance road, there's the little graveyard.

Used to look after the grass there as part of our route when argue council. Seem to remember the gaffer saying at the time there was no money in it (don't think it was an authority one), but we did it anyhow.

However users would lob their flower wrappers etc in a pile rather than take them home.

Some grave stones were damaged or slumped but no maintenance was done to them.

Used to piss me off looking at the rubbish, all folk had to do was take it with them.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Just back from my Mediterranean catch up with some of the Brit and a large swathe of the Italian clan.

Absolutely sickened to read the link above of war graves being trashed. Hope they catch the twats. Anything to read into it being the Bradford area?