Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

1972-73

Mounts Kipper

Just looked at 1972-73 season in div 3 and we started season at home to Brentford with over 20,000 on and had healthy crowds right up to the new year including 39,000 on for a cup game v Luton, then for some reason crowds dropped to around 7000 despite us getting promoted, it was just before my time so can anyone confirm WTF happened to our attendances second half of that season? ( I’m thinking it might have something to do with industrial action at that time and power cuts etc) 

Are you reading this back to front ?

Don't know where you are getting your figures from but that's nor right - it was completely the opposite 

72/3 started at home to Bournemouth 7k  ended v Brentford 21k , basically sub 10k first half of season , high teens 2nd half with 33k v Blackburn biggest league crowd

Industrial action was 73/4

57 minutes ago, Benny The Ball said:

Are you reading this back to front ?

Don't know where you are getting your figures from but that's nor right - it was completely the opposite 

72/3 started at home to Bournemouth 7k  ended v Brentford 21k , basically sub 10k first half of season , high teens 2nd half with 33k v Blackburn biggest league crowd

Industrial action was 73/74

http://bickydata.co.uk/season.php

aye your right, didn’t look at the dates, just assumed Brentford was first game. Thanks for sorting that one out. 😂

Edited by Mounts Kipper

1 hour ago, Mounts Kipper said:

Just looked at 1972-73 season in div 3 and we started season at home to Brentford with over 20,000 on and had healthy crowds right up to the new year including 39,000 on for a cup game v Luton, then for some reason crowds dropped to around 7000 despite us getting promoted, it was just before my time so can anyone confirm WTF happened to our attendances second half of that season? ( I’m thinking it might have something to do with industrial action at that time and power cuts etc) 

First game of 72-73 was Bournemouth at home with a 3-0 win.

Thing is mounts our fans have never been any different , detered when things are crap & that period prior to our promotion from then div 3 was pretty grim , turn out in force for the big promotion run in .Cant complain though as at least our fans respond to a bit of good form.

Have to say in mitigation that usually when our crowds plummet there isnt even a pin prick of light at the end of the tunnel ! We are better than most but not as good as some.

1 hour ago, anewman said:

Folk got wind of the warburtons keeping 2 out of 3 bags of cash received at the turnstiles for themselves so got pissed off and didn't want to give them their hard earned money anymore 

All allegedly of course 

Ha ha the Warbies ......dont get me started !