Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

artificial grass

Smiley

• Site Supporter

Had a few calls about cleaning artificial grass, cleaning some tennis courts with big next weekend.

I hate grass and I end up in blisters when I cut the grass, wife has finally realised after 12 years why I just want a yard.. 

• Members
7 hours ago, Smiley said:

Greener Lawns Artificial Grass is doing ours. Think he's done a few lads off here. Big mate of Fengster from Tonge Moor. Also whipped out our old (5 years - 5 fuckin years) paving and redoing that - in a limestone black - should look the dogs bollocks...... or EMO, one or the other! Raised bed being created as well - think that's getting filled with slate. Job done.

And then its onto replacing the conifers with laurels..... over to TMGJ for that one - possibly. Fuck me established laurels don't come cheap - but got to say they look far better than shitty conifers.

Your surname isn't Bucket is it?

I did ours myself, it was simple enough for even me, just cutting to size. Purpose of mine wasn't too have a perfect lawn, but somewhere for little un to play football: I added a camber and put foam squares under the turf in the goal mouth. Constructed a samba goal in darkness and left a new ball in front of it. 

His face the following morning was absolute delight... Matched only by mine as the first thing he did was try and dig in a penalty spot with his boots 😧

15 hours ago, Smiley said:

Greener Lawns Artificial Grass is doing ours. Think he's done a few lads off here. Big mate of Fengster from Tonge Moor. Also whipped out our old (5 years - 5 fuckin years) paving and redoing that - in a limestone black - should look the dogs bollocks...... or EMO, one or the other! Raised bed being created as well - think that's getting filled with slate. Job done.

And then its onto replacing the conifers with laurels..... over to TMGJ for that one - possibly. Fuck me established laurels don't come cheap - but got to say they look far better than shitty conifers.

We’ve got 12 foot high conifers around our back garden, some brown bits have come through though. Some say it must have been wind burn through the winter but I’m nervous (also didn’t realise that they are all dead inside) 

They give us tonnes of privacy so I do t want to lose them but I also think Laurels would look better, how much are we talking for ‘established’? 

Edited by birch-chorley

55 minutes ago, Underpants said:

If you are ripping out a lawn and replacing it with a chavy plastic one. Why dont you have it in another colour like blue or something? Go for the full scutter look.

I had mine done in red, it looks ace

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, MancWanderer said:

Woke up this morning to find that someone had nicked the artificial lawn from a house near here overnight

Is it that expensive that it's worth nicking? And if so, surely you'd have it fixed down properly?

You just cut it away from any fixings.

I know of a couple of folk who hoover theirs to keep it tip top.

Makes sense I suppose, but a bit meh.

1 hour ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

You just cut it away from any fixings.

I know of a couple of folk who hoover theirs to keep it tip top.

Makes sense I suppose, but a bit meh.

Shirley you'd have plenty of fixings (staples?) in it so that it was tightly fitted and anyone trying to nick it would only be able to get small pieces? Baffles me pal. Love feeding, mowing, rolling, aerating and caring for my lawn

Sister in law just hoovers hers when it's dry. And then comes round here saying how nice my real lawn is. Each to their own I suppose

• Site Supporter
11 hours ago, MancWanderer said:

Shirley you'd have plenty of fixings (staples?) in it so that it was tightly fitted and anyone trying to nick it would only be able to get small pieces? Baffles me pal. Love feeding, mowing, rolling, aerating and caring for my lawn

Sister in law just hoovers hers when it's dry. And then comes round here saying how nice my real lawn is. Each to their own I suppose

Grass for me too.

Not sure how exactly they install large artificial areas- I would assume the more fixings, the more potential fail points/tears. 

But who knows.

1 hour ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Grass for me too.

Not sure how exactly they install large artificial areas- I would assume the more fixings, the more potential fail points/tears. 

But who knows.

Ours is 12m x 8m 

it comes in 4m strips so we have 2 x 4m x 12m lengths 

Wooden battens are run around the edge and one across the middle using stakes to keep them in place. Whackered into the sand until flat then nail tight to the battens 

• Site Supporter
31 minutes ago, birch-chorley said:

Ours is 12m x 8m 

it comes in 4m strips so we have 2 x 4m x 12m lengths 

Wooden battens are run around the edge and one across the middle using stakes to keep them in place. Whackered into the sand until flat then nail tight to the battens 

That's what I thought- no fastenings throughout it; just round the edge?

I once built a small wooden bridge over a ditch for a customer. He then wanted it covering with artificial stuff so the deer would use it. (Don't ask!). I only needed an off cut, but weighted it with sand brushed in. Doubt that's used now; things change.

52 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

That's what I thought- no fastenings throughout it; just round the edge?

I once built a small wooden bridge over a ditch for a customer. He then wanted it covering with artificial stuff so the deer would use it. (Don't ask!). I only needed an off cut, but weighted it with sand brushed in. Doubt that's used now; things change.

Just round the edge 

weighted down with sand all over though 

On 3 June 2019 at 13:16, birch-chorley said:

Just round the edge 

weighted down with sand all over though 

They don't weigh the newer stuff down now. So literally just battens the whole away around. Guess someone could bring a Stanley knife and cut the lawn out and nick it. Its pretty heavy though (I helped the delivery driver when he dropped it off). They'd have a job from ours. But if folk can break into Hatton Garden - guess my garden ain't going to be a problem.

On 1 June 2019 at 08:56, birch-chorley said:

We’ve got 12 foot high conifers around our back garden, some brown bits have come through though. Some say it must have been wind burn through the winter but I’m nervous (also didn’t realise that they are all dead inside) 

They give us tonnes of privacy so I do t want to lose them but I also think Laurels would look better, how much are we talking for ‘established’? 

Ask TMGJ. But talking around £30 for per laurel for 5 foot. We'd need around 20-25. And then the expense of having the conifers removed, stumps ground down, soil prepped. And waiting 12-18 months until they are back to 7 foot for the privacy we'd want. Cheaper option is the 3 foot ones - but then got a few years to wait for the privacy.

Now then, if there were artificial laurels......

• Site Supporter
On 01/06/2019 at 08:56, birch-chorley said:

Some conifers have died round here in the last year or two. Maybe a virus or something. My brother's neighbour had a big one give up the ghost over a few months. A customer of mine had a little one do likewise. She also had a hedge which went a bit brown in patches after trimming.

Worse thing about conifers is letting them get too big then trying to get them back - you can't cut back beyond the green as they don't regenerate. Either accept some brown or get rid, or leave them and trim to their height minus a bit.

Smiley has looked at laurels but as he says big ones aren't cheap.

Personally I'm not overly impressed with laurels, they have big leaves but aren't particularly dense. Hence even a tallish one will still take a while to fill in.

Other hedging plants have a smaller leaf but are much more dense.

https://www.hedgesdirect.co.uk/acatalog/View-All-Species.html?utm_term=hedging&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&gclid=CjwKCAjw0N3nBRBvEiwAHMwvNlMi12zAd8S1Ms0UOOtwAnffVgo34J_6WV_hNSLzLIFUd_gQSpaX0RoC6xMQAvD_BwE

Have a browse through this.

Things like privet for example are 'tighter' and give a neater finish for me, when trimmed.

Others are more colourful by means of leaf, just all about what you like

4 hours ago, mickbrown said:

I went on a website to read about maintaining an artificial lawn

The list of jobs - Jesus.  Sounded like way more hassle than pushing a mower over it once a fortnight. 

We've had ours 4 years and never done anything to it

13 hours ago, Sweep said:

We've had ours 4 years and never done anything to it

It said you had to brush it weekly with a stiff brush to get the blades to stand up properly. Spray it with water every week. Even said you had to weedkill the bastard. 

18 hours ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Some conifers have died round here in the last year or two. Maybe a virus or something. My brother's neighbour had a big one give up the ghost over a few months. A customer of mine had a little one do likewise. She also had a hedge which went a bit brown in patches after trimming.

Worse thing about conifers is letting them get too big then trying to get them back - you can't cut back beyond the green as they don't regenerate. Either accept some brown or get rid, or leave them and trim to their height minus a bit.

Smiley has looked at laurels but as he says big ones aren't cheap.

Personally I'm not overly impressed with laurels, they have big leaves but aren't particularly dense. Hence even a tallish one will still take a while to fill in.

Other hedging plants have a smaller leaf but are much more dense.

https://www.hedgesdirect.co.uk/acatalog/View-All-Species.html?utm_term=hedging&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&gclid=CjwKCAjw0N3nBRBvEiwAHMwvNlMi12zAd8S1Ms0UOOtwAnffVgo34J_6WV_hNSLzLIFUd_gQSpaX0RoC6xMQAvD_BwE

Have a browse through this.

Things like privet for example are 'tighter' and give a neater finish for me, when trimmed.

Others are more colourful by means of leaf, just all about what you like

Thanks for that 

The thought of having to replace them fills me with dread! 25m linear by 12ft high 

Tge browning has seemed to stop spreading for now, fingers crossed 🤞