Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Women’s World Cup

globaldiver

42 minutes ago, Not in Crawley said:

Went to the women’s FA cup final - was a really good game and our keeper does put paid to the myth of bad goalkeepers.

I’d really recommend it - me and mine are watching it.

Have a +1 for that brave post

KJT was into football before athletics at the age of 10.

However the coaches insisted on her playing as keeper when she wanted to score goals, goals and more goals.

As she is the best combined High/Long Jumper in the world she had obvious potential as a keeper. Sensible handling would have had her playing alternate games as keeper and striker until she realised how good she was. 

• Site Supporter

Daughter plays football, u10 , her club went to the England lioness game at City academy ground. Was quite good and an enjoyable event. 

As said previous, wrong to compare but we’ll be watching as it’s good for my daughter to see women playing at a high level in front of big crowds, something to aspire to rather than her just seeing that side of it in the men’s game 

doesn’t need the comparison  of standards, just take it for what it is 

The Dick, Kerr Ladies team used to attract large crowds, including filling Goodison. They were not opposed by the FA and establishment when they were raising money for war charities, but when they played for the benefit of striking Lancashire miners all sorts of excuses were made to outlaw women's football.

5 minutes ago, Not in Crawley said:

We know this already, Malcolm. 

We? You and me, but how many others on here?

Anyway you obviously don't want to know which member of Tony Blair's cabinet ran in the English Schools Athletics Championships.

Our family will all be watching. My daughter plays U9s football, has scored a winning goal in a futsal tournament at St Georges Park and been mascot for the Lionesses. I've taken the kids to a number of football matches but their favourite was an England women's match at Milton Keynes. When I first started watching the women's game a few years ago the standard was admittedly pretty poor but in the last couple of years in particular it has come on in leaps and bounds. Brilliant how much the women's game is growing because the likes of my daughter and other young girls want the role models that we're now seeing in the public eye.

I will encourage any females in our family to  play football because its a great sport to play if you can get yourself into a local team and I'm glad there are far more opportunities for that than when my daughter was young.  But women's professional football is a different animal to the men's version simply because men's football is a religion for the likes of us.  We put up with all sorts, including crap games and crap players, and high prices, just because its what we do, its not even a choice to most of us.  Women's football is purely an entertainment, and it shouldn't expect to be any more popular than other relatively "minor" sports like athletics, tennis, golf where you admire the quality, maybe root for someone but ultimately the result doesn't effect you, its all done 5 minutes after the event.  Its naive when people compare it to the men's game and question why the crowds aren't bigger.  Its simple, our football team is our identity, its not a means of entertainment unless you are a neutral, if it was it would be equally poorly supported.

• Moderators

the fans at womens games remind me of the fans at MLS games

I'm sure they're enjoying it, I just don't believe they're really that in to it

like ice hockey over here

Yes it will grow, but no I don't think fans of women's football are as passionate or committed.  We can go years without watching our team, due to living abroad for eg, but still live and breathe the club's on and off field fortunes day in day out.  I don't expect cricket fans have this level of religious devotion and I suspect it will be the same for fans of womens football, or any sport in this country apart from men's football (I speak as a fan of Lancs/England cricket fan, golf, tennis, athletics that doesnt give them a thought unless there is a match coming up).  I may be wrong, but in my opinion men's football is unique in this and many other countries and its unrealistic to think of other sports in the same way.

If a member of your family or friends has a female relative involved with football, then i can understand their passion and pride in supporting that girl or their club. However even the top level of womens football is a poor standard due to the obvious gender related physical limits. England boys under 14 and possibly u12 would beat the national ladies team and that is the standard. It is rarely entertaining. I realise that gender equality demands that ladies sport is promoted as a viable alternative to the men's game in the media and television, but the fact is that it is nowhere near and it never will be.

2 hours ago, Not in Crawley said:

Actually I wouldn't mind knowing that!

Well perhaps you can be more civil when I make a comment which is both apposite and not widely known about the ex-player who could have strengthened the England WC squad with better handling.