Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Hello everybody

Not sure what kept me from joining before, but better late than never, eh? I did try to join when Howard Roarke was in full flow but no joy then.

I have been a Wanderer for 55 years and have now wandered into retirement in Thailand. I have enjoyed exploring the site and was surprised to see myself from 13 years ago in a photo taken at the Besiktas game. 

Like everyone, I am hoping for better times ahead. We have been in worse straits before and come out better, so fingers crossed.

Up The Whites!!

• Site Supporter

Me and wife used to stand at the barrier in MR(N) nearest the tunnel. Being a short-arse, it was the only place in the ground that she could actually see from. Got to know many of those around us which all disappeared with the move to Reebok.

2 hours ago, MickyD said:

Me and wife used to stand at the barrier in MR(N) nearest the tunnel. Being a short-arse, it was the only place in the ground that she could actually see from. Got to know many of those around us which all disappeared with the move to Reebok.

You weren't a fireman then were you? Your father-in law stood with you too?

• Site Supporter
7 minutes ago, Mannyroader said:

You weren't a fireman then were you? Your father-in law stood with you too?

I was a fireman but didn't go with Father in Law. One or two 'older' blokes stood chatting with us though. 

Me and my brother used to stand just behind you & your wife. We were aged mid to late 30s when we moved to the Reebok. 

I remember a chap with with white curly hair who once shouted at Richard Sneekes in a game against Wolves "You're not worth a carrot!!" A split second later the ball was in the back of the net after he hammered one in from 25 yards. I think he got 2 that day and we won 3-0. 

Happy days.

• Site Supporter
4 hours ago, DomRepWanderer said:

Was in Manny road for many years, we stood next to the fence where opposing managers sat, oh what fun we had, also Dave Higson was stood with us pre commentary days.

There was a really tall fella stood near us towards the back of the terrace. Extremely friendly and amenable and looked like William Shakespeare. Perhaps he's on here, who knows, didn't see him again after we moved.