Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Players that sound like D Day

RoadRunnerFan

7 hours ago, RONNIE PHILLIPS said:

Would never disrespect those brave men & women... heroes the lot of them. I also doubt there's any poster on here who feels differently. This is just old skool WWays humour, something that has got a bit lost amongst the constant bickering of late. 

Well said!! It’s black comedy at its finest

Which on its own would generate a classic WWays response

My Dad’s brother set off in a bomber one night and has never been found. Just a name at the Runnymede Memorial

Anyway Rudi Gest(apo)ede 

• Site Supporter
2 hours ago, MancWanderer said:

Well said!! It’s black comedy at its finest

Which on its own would generate a classic WWays response

My Dad’s brother set off in a bomber one night and has never been found. Just a name at the Runnymede Memorial

Anyway Rudi Gest(apo)ede 

Sorry to hear that mate, it always makes me feel humbled that so many paid the ultimate sacrifice & went into battle knowing they may never experience the world they saved for others

9 minutes ago, RONNIE PHILLIPS said:

Sorry to hear that mate, it always makes me feel humbled that so many paid the ultimate sacrifice & went into battle knowing they may never experience the world they saved for others

Aye. My Dad was based in Gibraltar at the time working on the Hudson bombers that were dropping depth charges on the U-Boats in the Bay of Biscay. He didn’t find out about his brother for nearly a year. Makes you think about the difference about then and now when it took that long for information to get through

Strangely, and this is taking this thread off in a completely different direction, my Dad was convinced, to his dying day, that his brother was involved in a test flight that was assessing whether a Lancaster bomber could carry a nuclear bomb. He was an engineer and used to try to explain to me the difficulties involved which went way over my head and is convinced that the plane went down due to the weight/physics involved, hence, why it needed the Superfortress to do it rather than a Lancaster or Flying Fortress. He badgered the RAF for over 60 years for information on that flight and got nowt in return. I’ve done some digging and come up blank. I’d love to know the real story but accept that like many others he just stepped up, did what he was told, and never came back

22 hours ago, Sweep said:

Brill.

My grandad got shot on Omaha Beech this day 75yrs ago. He didn't die, fortunately, but he was there.

Let's take the piss by making childish names up........

I know I'm being over sensitive, but my Grandad was a hero, who was lucky to survive. So let's not be silly about this please.

I hope you’ve read all the above and realised that not just your family is in the same boat and we’ve all suffered in some way or another.  Now nobody is taking the piss so wind your neck in and share the humour and freedom our forefathers have afforded us.

11 hours ago, MancWanderer said:

Aye. My Dad was based in Gibraltar at the time working on the Hudson bombers that were dropping depth charges on the U-Boats in the Bay of Biscay. He didn’t find out about his brother for nearly a year. Makes you think about the difference about then and now when it took that long for information to get through

Strangely, and this is taking this thread off in a completely different direction, my Dad was convinced, to his dying day, that his brother was involved in a test flight that was assessing whether a Lancaster bomber could carry a nuclear bomb. He was an engineer and used to try to explain to me the difficulties involved which went way over my head and is convinced that the plane went down due to the weight/physics involved, hence, why it needed the Superfortress to do it rather than a Lancaster or Flying Fortress. He badgered the RAF for over 60 years for information on that flight and got nowt in return. I’ve done some digging and come up blank. I’d love to know the real story but accept that like many others he just stepped up, did what he was told, and never came back

The military release top secret files after a certain amount of time, think all you need to do is fill in a freedom of information request. 

12 hours ago, Desert_monkey said:

The military release top secret files after a certain amount of time, think all you need to do is fill in a freedom of information request. 

Tried that years ago. There’s very little info on the flight. Just basics really. Who was on it, where they were going, what time they took off, etc. Wish I could remember but my Dad had a massive issue with the details. Being in the RAF he always said that there was info missing. He was so annoyed he refused to collect his medals at the end of the war. We were only able to persuade him to apply for them about 15 years ago when he was 85. Even then he put them in a drawer. He never forgot and never forgave. I have them now. Shame that they are tinged with his bitterness