Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Johannesburg?

worthy10

50 minutes ago, boltondiver said:

Mentioned you to a customer the other week BD. He used to play sax on cruise ships and is a lounge jazz fanatic and goes to New York jazz clubs etc.

The coolness of the conversation lost its edge when I said ah I know a member of a football forum I post on that’s in to that.

The tumbleweeds are still rolling about his garden. 

16 minutes ago, gonzo said:

Mentioned you to a customer the other week BD. He used to play sax on cruise ships and is a lounge jazz fanatic and goes to New York jazz clubs etc.

The coolness of the conversation lost its edge when I said ah I know a member of a football forum I post on that’s in to that.

The tumbleweeds are still rolling about his garden. 

Have you been to New York?

19 hours ago, worthy10 said:

Thinking of a 10 dat trip to south africa in feb 20 doing ODI's at cape town, durban and Johannesburg. I've been to cape town and loved the place. What's durban and Johannesburg like as a cricket tourist. Thanks

I've watched England at all 3! Not that I've bothered to mention it before. Actually had more "near misses" with muggings in Cape Town than the other 2.

For Johannesburg - you are probably more likely to stay in Sandton. Huge shopping mall there - restaurants, bars, etc. Handy for a 2 night safari if you wanna add that on. Didn't have time for the Soweto tour, but that's meant to be very good. Didn't venture into Johannesburg centre at all - so cannot comment. Shame as would probably have liked to have a mooch around.

Durban is meant to be far dodgier for muggings, etc. Less safe. Again hotel was walking distance to the ground and there were 1000s of folk walking that way - so pretty safe. Better to get taxi's to bars, restaurants. There's a strip of bars and restaurants in Umhlanga Rocks - sure they had guards on either end of the street - so it was literally only tourists and decent folk on there. There's a Hooters. We booked a day trip to Rourke's Drift - so if the Zulu film is your thing - might be worth doing. Though its a long, long day. Beaches in Durban are great.

In both these places we quickly team-up with other fans and moved around in groups - so pretty safe when in numbers.

2 hours ago, Smiley said:

I've watched England at all 3! Not that I've bothered to mention it before. Actually had more "near misses" with muggings in Cape Town than the other 2.

For Johannesburg - you are probably more likely to stay in Sandton. Huge shopping mall there - restaurants, bars, etc. Handy for a 2 night safari if you wanna add that on. Didn't have time for the Soweto tour, but that's meant to be very good. Didn't venture into Johannesburg centre at all - so cannot comment. Shame as would probably have liked to have a mooch around.

Durban is meant to be far dodgier for muggings, etc. Less safe. Again hotel was walking distance to the ground and there were 1000s of folk walking that way - so pretty safe. Better to get taxi's to bars, restaurants. There's a strip of bars and restaurants in Umhlanga Rocks - sure they had guards on either end of the street - so it was literally only tourists and decent folk on there. There's a Hooters. We booked a day trip to Rourke's Drift - so if the Zulu film is your thing - might be worth doing. Though its a long, long day. Beaches in Durban are great.

In both these places we quickly team-up with other fans and moved around in groups - so pretty safe when in numbers.

Very helpful. Thanks