Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Lack of squad players 2019-20 season

Happy Wanderer

As of the time of writing the administrators have get to appoint a successful bid to purchase the club but what worries me the most is the lack of time left to build a decent squad for next season.

Realistically most half decent players will have already signed for a club and not be just sat around waiting for our manager to give them a call.

Some will say it's a good thing that the majority of last seasons players have left but not having at least 2 players fighting for positions means the starting 11 may still be in the team after a few games. Yes a team that plays regular can bond together we all know that, that said, what happens when players get injured without cover?

Playing the kids is an option yet Parkinson has been reluctant to field more than 2-3 at a time. The last count there are 8-9 contracted players which leaves a lot of work for the new owners and manager (if still Parkinson) to fill the void.

I for one am very worried what the next season in League One has to hold.

• Site Supporter

A bit of a concern obviously, but nowt we can do.

Once the new owner is revealed, well have a better idea of how things might pan out.

I'm sure any prospective owners are aware of the risks of dropping again and the potential effect on finances, so would imagine they'd ensure sufficient funds are available to at least make us competitive, if not promotion contenders.

On the flip side, it's a fantastic rebuilding opportunity IF we get someone in with a vision. 

Great chance to get in lots of young hungry players who have just been released and eager to prove themselves knowing they're almost guaranteed a game.

Would much rather this than the transfer method we've had the past 6-7 years of signing the older 'half decent' players on the decline just going through the motions - for a Henry and O'Neil there's about 5 Buckleys

Edited by jmjhb

50 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

A bit of a concern obviously, but nowt we can do.

Once the new owner is revealed, well have a better idea of how things might pan out.

I'm sure any prospective owners are aware of the risks of dropping again and the potential effect on finances, so would imagine they'd ensure sufficient funds are available to at least make us competitive, if not promotion contenders.

We are restricted to signing frees and loans and the point is the best ones of those will have gone well before we are in the market. 

Not sure finances are  relevant. 

Get in a manager with contacts and respect of his ex-players and bingo, we will of got rid of Anderson, most of the driftwood players, debt free and a new start.   I can only see positives, it may take a couple of seasons or so rebuilding, but we'll be back in the Championship after a few great days out in this division.

44 minutes ago, bwfcfan5 said:

We are restricted to signing frees and loans and the point is the best ones of those will have gone well before we are in the market. 

We dont know that for sure do we??

• Site Supporter
57 minutes ago, bwfcfan5 said:

They still need paying!

The more you can afford, the better the loan player you can look at. Finance is very relevant- ask the administrators.

Not sure how many loan players we can sign or play in one team but this will be key to success. The better ones only become available after pre-season games when the Premier League clubs finalise their squad. Do need money though to pay these higher wages.

I agree on the free signings; most are being snapped up now so the new owners should be considering who is available before they get the club - lets hope they are clued up enough

Wouldn't like to start with Parkinson because many wont pay to watch his dire tactics and he will never change.

Cant wait to find out who buys the club but please please please no more chancers

Edited by RUREADY2ROLL

1 hour ago, RUREADY2ROLL said:

Not sure how many loan players we can sign or play in one team but this will be key to success. The better ones only become available after pre-season games when the Premier League clubs finalise their squad. Do need money though to pay these higher wages.

I agree on the free signings; most are being snapped up now so the new owners should be considering who is available before they get the club - lets hope they are clued up enough

Wouldn't like to start with Parkinson because many wont pay to watch his dire tactics and he will never change.

Cant wait to find out who buys the club but please please please no more chancers

Portsmouth got some dispensation from the league they signed 10 players on a months loan to start and mixed with youth 

5 hours ago, bwfcfan5 said:

The loans won't have gone anywhere. Without checking, i'd be surprised if anyon leaves a club in June to go on loan.

9 hours ago, Johnnyrotten said:

The loans won't have gone anywhere. Without checking, i'd be surprised if anyon leaves a club in June to go on loan.

Under embargo you can’t pay fees for loans. So good luck getting decent loans in. 

You have to assume potential buyers looking to invest £10's of millions in the club are already talking to staff and player agents hypothetically to guage interest in a move should they succeed. 

• Site Supporter
On 11/06/2019 at 21:40, Johnnyrotten said:

Ameobi miles better than Clough. The only player in last 4 or 5 years to regularly get me off my seat. That assist at WBA, top quality.

If only he managed to do that every game. As it happens, he went regularly from being great to being shit in successive games. And even on a good day he was hardly a fantastic player. 

I'd have a team of triers over a team of good players that just couldn't be arsed.