Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

iPhone spying on conversations

Spider

• Site Supporter

How long have iPhones/Facebook been listening in on conversations?

Talking to the missus earlier about luggage. 3 minutes later she’s scrolling through Facebook and all the ads are for luggage.

i know they do it for searches you type in, but had no idea the cunts were fucking listening.

how long before you get home from the pub and your feed is full of ads for birds with massive tits and arses like windsocks?

Not. Good.

Edited by Spider

We're sleepwalking into a nightmare

Tuesday morning I told a colleague at work that my lad woke up in the night and I reckon it's because he's now got a fish tank in his room and it's a bit noisy. 

Amazon app pinged a notification through at dinner time for a silenced aquarium filter. 

No googled searches, no conversation with the Mrs nothing other than that one conversation. 

It's amazing though because Alexa will put a bit of basement jaxx on if you ask her to.......... 

11 minutes ago, stevieb said:

We're sleepwalking into a nightmare

Tuesday morning I told a colleague at work that my lad woke up in the night and I reckon it's because he's now got a fish tank in his room and it's a bit noisy. 

Amazon app pinged a notification through at dinner time for a silenced aquarium filter. 

No googled searches, no conversation with the Mrs nothing other than that one conversation. 

It's amazing though because Alexa will put a bit of basement jaxx on if you ask her to.......... 

That is eerily mad mate.

I told the other half I fancied a Manchester Tart for pudding.

Ten minutes later,  a slapper from Gorton appeared on my doorstep

Google or whatever definitely does it on my phone. If I'm watching something on telly and talking about it, when I start to do a Google search about what I'm watching or one of the actors in it, it guesses after the first letter what I'm searching for.

Big Brother innit.

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, DazBob said:

Google or whatever definitely does it on my phone. If I'm watching something on telly and talking about it, when I start to do a Google search about what I'm watching or one of the actors in it, it guesses after the first letter what I'm searching for.

Big Brother innit.

Google admit they do it. And you can turn it off.. apparently.

Facebook don't admit to it.. they are lying bastards.

It’s really helpful for us to be able to target digital media, my current favourite we can use is a platform called Hawk run by a company called TabMo. Serves integrated and targeted content across platforms and can be done with audio and is geotargeted as well. So you pop into a catchment area we’re selling a show for you’ll be served a ad on your mobile - or audio if you are listening to something on an intergrated platform. You interact with the ad, we captured that and you are added to the pool so we can served more paid for content to you. Good init?!?

29 minutes ago, Not in Crawley said:

It’s really helpful for us to be able to target digital media, my current favourite we can use is a platform called Hawk run by a company called TabMo. Serves integrated and targeted content across platforms and can be done with audio and is geotargeted as well. So you pop into a catchment area we’re selling a show for you’ll be served a ad on your mobile - or audio if you are listening to something on an intergrated platform. You interact with the ad, we captured that and you are added to the pool so we can served more paid for content to you. Good init?!?

That's all a bit complex for selling choc ices at the interval

1 hour ago, Not in Crawley said:

Is this a ‘...and needless to say, I had the last laugh’, post?

24 minutes ago, Morizio said:

Is this a ‘...and needless to say, I had the last laugh’, post?

Yeah was a bit, wasn’t it? Still always amazes me how much data companies can utilise even with GDPR. Folk just hand it over without a thought and people are getting stupidly rich off it.

• Moderators
12 hours ago, Spider said:

How long have iPhones/Facebook been listening in on conversations?

Talking to the missus earlier about luggage. 3 minutes later she’s scrolling through Facebook and all the ads are for luggage.

i know they do it for searches you type in, but had no idea the cunts were fucking listening.

how long before you get home from the pub and your feed is full of ads for birds with massive tits and arses like windsocks?

Not. Good.

There's no one actually listening, it's just keywords then ads bring triggered by voice - devices these days are constantly listening out for things you say like "ok Google" or "Alexa", this is no different

You can always turn it off

• Site Supporter
6 hours ago, Not in Crawley said:

fuck me, i work in the industry, and still fell asleep half way through that...

13 hours ago, Salford Trotter said:

my mate has taped over the camera too as he reckons that they (whoever they are) are watching as well as listening

Youngest went to a media exhibition in Manc last year. One of the exhibits was a bank of flat screen TVs. Each one was relaying a feed from phones, iPads, cctv, laptops, etc that had been hacked. Was supposed to demonstrate just how easy it is to access any camera connected to a network. I tape over all cameras even the one on my work laptop

• Site Supporter
15 hours ago, gonzo said:

My mate wants to know do they look at your WhatsApp videos?

a "mate" of mine works for vodafone, and spends mosts evening ready messages and watching mms messages between folk

Own goal: $280,000 GDPR fine for soccer app that snooped on fans' phone mics to snare pub telly pirates

Here's how the soccer organization got the red card, according to news outlet El Diario: the league's official Android and iOS mobile app, which offered live match scores and has been downloaded roughly 10 million times, would, once given permission, regularly access the microphone to check if the user was in a pub watching the footie on a telly or a similar setting.

If it sounded as though they were in a boozer while glued to a TV, say, the user's location would be used by the software's overlords to verify the punter was in an establishment that had all the right paperwork and subscriptions for showing the game in a commercial setting. It was a way to ensure sports bars weren't show matches using cheaper home cable or TV packages rather than more expensive commercial subscriptions.