Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Barney R I P

parrybones

Graham O'Connor how could i forgetĀ about him, i went to school with his younger/dafter brother GaryĀ :D, GrahamsĀ another who's sadly in the Lever End in the skyĀ  alongĀ with Ste Fitts,Barney,Pud,Ferny and a few other noble whites.

RIP to some top lads.

Edited by Burndens Bogs

55 minutes ago, Burndens Bogs said:

Graham O'Connor how could i forgetĀ about him, i went to school with his younger/dafter brother GaryĀ :D, GrahamsĀ another who's sadly in the Lever End in the skyĀ  alongĀ with Ste Fitts,Barney,Pud,Ferny and a few other noble whites.

RIP to some top lads.

Some top top lads and wanderers amongst that lot, all left the party too early. RIP lads. šŸ˜¢

2 hours ago, Fred perry said:

Sad news , always remember John, the O,Connor brothers,Tommy,Kim, the late Steve Fitton,Fred, Great times ,Great times King Bill , Bennies, R,I,P mate,

Ā 

Steve Fitton must of passed nigh on 25 -30 years ago now, was major surprise as he was fit as fiddle and must haveĀ been only about 30 years old.Ā 

Edited by Mounts Kipper

52 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

Steve Fitton must of passed nigh on 25 -30 years ago now, was major surprise as he was fit as fiddle and must haveĀ been only about 30 years old.Ā 

Ste was indeed a mega fit strong lad. I think it was some sort of heart defect that killed him, dunno how old he was when he passed, but iā€™d guess at late 20ā€™s?

2 minutes ago, Burndens Bogs said:

Ste was indeed a mega fit strong lad. I think it was some sort of heart defect that killed him, dunno how old he was when he passed, but iā€™d guess at late 20ā€™s?

I wasnā€™t a mate but remember him as ripped and always visible asĀ one of ourĀ main lads, and seemed a decent sort,Ā tragic he died so young.Ā 

Edited by Mounts Kipper

1 hour ago, Mounts Kipper said:

I remember being in the same digs in Newquay in 78 with Ste, buzzing like mad about the coming season with Bristol City being our first game. top bloke and never forgotten.

8 minutes ago, leigh white said:

I remember being in the same digs in Newquay in 78 with Ste, buzzing like mad about the coming season with Bristol City being our first game. top bloke and never forgotten.

I can't ignore anything you say LW, everything is a historical document of our town and lads!

7 minutes ago, Marc505 said:

I can't ignore anything you say LW, everything is a historical document of our town and lads!

The town of Bolton has given me everything, a team what has more ups and downs than a big dipper, but the comradeship of the lads I have met over the years are the finest you could ever meet.

5 minutes ago, leigh white said:

The town of Bolton has given me everything, a team what has more ups and downs than a big dipper, but the comradeship of the lads I have met over the years are the finest you could ever meet.

It goes beyond who's in charge, manager, players, league position. Just a bunch of lads who'd go watching us wherever, whenever and get leathered doing it. Legends, club history is built on these people.

2 minutes ago, Marc505 said:

It goes beyond who's in charge, manager, players, league position. Just a bunch of lads who'd go watching us wherever, whenever and get leathered doing it. Legends, club history is built on these people.

So true, you see fashions come and go but the fans who stayed loyal in the proper shite days of sub 5000 fans at BP and went all over the country to watch bilge, but still went home happy with a belly full of ale and never complained.

• Site Supporter
11 hours ago, Burndens Bogs said:

RIP to some top lads.

Ā 

9 hours ago, Burndens Bogs said:

Great lad, Ste. I think it was a form of leukaemia that got him in the end. He beat it once but it came back. He was always a positive lad, even after first being diagnosed. I can just picture him in his Levi jacket & polished Docs...RIP

I knew Graham when his parents had the Gardeners in Valletts Lane - that must have been where he learned to drink! I was mates with a little Church Rd crew, Graham, Dave H, Gary P (RIP), Ewhen...

Graham was a game lad but bloody hell, I remember once against West Ham when they brought thousands - must have been around 80/81. Never seen him move so fast! RIP.

Ā 

Great memories...

2 hours ago, Steejay said:

Ā 

Great lad, Ste. I think it was a form of leukaemia that got him in the end. He beat it once but it came back. He was always a positive lad, even after first being diagnosed. I can just picture him in his Levi jacket & polished Docs...RIP

I knew Graham when his parents had the Gardeners in Valletts Lane - that must have been where he learned to drink! I was mates with a little Church Rd crew, Graham, Dave H, Gary P (RIP), Ewhen...

Graham was a game lad but bloody hell, I remember once against West Ham when they brought thousands - must have been around 80/81. Never seen him move so fast! RIP.

Ā 

Great memories...

Didnā€™t West Ham go in the manny road paddock that day? I was in the burnden paddock that day and what a battle ensued, looked like the manny road crew gave a right good account of themselves. Ā 

Edited by Mounts Kipper

9 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

Didnā€™t West Ham go in the manny road paddock that day? I was in the burnden paddock that day and what a battle ensued, looked like the manny road crew gave a right good account of themselves. Ā 

I saw that right in front of me from the Manny Road seats. Never seen anything like it to this day. Both sides straight in ... serious full on brawling. No nonsense. NoĀ hanging back and trading insults. My memory is that the coppers couldn't open the gate on the perimeter fenceĀ  - which meant proceedings were allowed to carry on for several minutes longer than may other have been the case.

18 minutes ago, paulhanley said:

I saw that right in front of me from the Manny Road seats. Never seen anything like it to this day. Both sides straight in ... serious full on brawling. No nonsense. NoĀ hanging back and trading insults. My memory is that the coppers couldn't open the gate on the perimeter fenceĀ  - which meant proceedings were allowed to carry on for several minutes longer than may other have been the case.

Iā€™d say it was the most brutal and intense football fight Iā€™ve seen at Burnden Park, I take my hat off to those lads it was not for the feint hearted.Ā 

16 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

Iā€™d say it was the most brutal and intense football fight Iā€™ve seen at Burnden Park, I take my hat off to those lads it was not for the feint hearted.Ā 

I've not seen it talked about too much over the years. I'm glad someone else remembers it!

We drew 1-1. It was West Ham's promotion season. I think they'd won the FA Cup as a Division 2 side the May before.

6 minutes ago, paulhanley said:

I've not seen it talked about too much over the years. I'm glad someone else remembers it!

We drew 1-1. It was West Ham's promotion season. I think they'd won the FA Cup as a Division 2 side the May before.

I think we are about the same vintage pal, must know you or at least know you face.Ā