Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Sheffield.

leigh white

• Site Supporter
Just now, SatanGreavsie said:

I definitely think the BBC are missing a trick here. Have Leigh White take on the role of Michael Portillo on his Great British Railway Journeys role, but instead devoted to him recounting escapades of supping, shagging and fighting across the county - as he travels around in an old orange SELNEC bus, pinging a clippercard in at the start of each episode, before recounting tales of debauchery and complete random drivel. It's a fucking  BAFTA winner I'm telling you 😄

Excellent idea- would they show it about 3 o'clock in the morning :)

30 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Excellent idea- would they show it about 3 o'clock in the morning :)

I’d ordinarily suggest no later than his usual home arrival time of 9pm, but now he has his bus pass he’ll dicing with a later bus home rather than having to chase the last First bus rather than having to pay again for a Diamond bus (got to love the intricacies of franchised buses).  

Our kid ran a pub in crosspool. Kev Davies was In every night at 9 on the dot and drank 4 pints of bitter. 

Pub was full of wankers who didn’t like a manc sounding Blackpool lad running their local :)

On 01/07/2019 at 20:39, gonzo said:

Our kid ran a pub in crosspool. Kev Davies was In every night at 9 on the dot and drank 4 pints of bitter. 

Pub was full of wankers who didn’t like a manc sounding Blackpool lad running their local :)

Loved my 3 years in Sheffield. Great city. Was there in the Mel Sterland/Imre Varadi era. The “Hole In The Road”, The Leadmill, standing in boozers talking to Martin Fry and Phil Oakey just as they were becoming famous. Been back many times since and, apart from the footy, always had a great time 

gonzo - was it the Crosspool Tavern your brother ran? Spent many a night in there when I was up in Ranmoor

At the start of my 2nd stab at youth 😉 aged 30, me and a mate went to The Plug, which was kind of the unofficial nightclub of the student population, to see Dave Clark (who was biz here, smashed it every time I'd seen him in Mancheter) - we'd barely got through the door before some petite blonde bobbed student cutie came over and grabbed my packet before she'd even introduced herself...

Normally at this juncture I'd write 'and then the alarm went off and I was rudely awakened...' but no.

My kinda town was Sheffield 😊

Edited by Youri McAnespie

https://youtu.be/sEgiNag27WI

7 hours ago, Youri McAnespie said:

At the start of my 2nd stab at youth 😉 aged 30, me and a mate went to The Plug, which was kind of the unofficial nightclub of the student population, to see Dave Clark (who was biz here, smashed it every time I'd seen him in Mancheter) - we'd barely got through the door before some petite blonde bobbed student cutie came over and grabbed my packet before she'd even introduced herself...

Normally at this juncture I'd write 'and then the alarm went off and I was rudely awakened...' but no.

My kinda town was Sheffield 😊

Was made up on Sunday when the mobile disco played this for me at half time at the Sheffield V Leigh game.

Edited by leigh white

Spent the day there today at The Royal Hallamshire

Wandered into Broomhill which was a fantastic den of iniquity back in the day - alehouses, chippies, curry houses, the lot. You could spend all day and night there on the ale and food and have a belting time

There's a falafel place there now. People were queuing out the door. Juice bars as well, Gone to the dogs that place

On 02/07/2019 at 22:19, MancWanderer said:

Loved my 3 years in Sheffield. Great city. Was there in the Mel Sterland/Imre Varadi era. The “Hole In The Road”, The Leadmill, standing in boozers talking to Martin Fry and Phil Oakey just as they were becoming famous. Been back many times since and, apart from the footy, always had a great time 

gonzo - was it the Crosspool Tavern your brother ran? Spent many a night in there when I was up in Ranmoor

Yes pal it was the crosspool. Quite a few students went in there and worked there iirc. Remember staying over one night and they were all off to see the arctic monkeys at some mill place. 

• Moderators

billboard on a dead busy road opposite a few bus stops, so you know loads of people will see it

big poster advertisting the Usual Suspects which had just come out at the cinema

someone graffitis a big arrow on it pointing to Kevin Spacey which says "he is Keyser Soze"

16 hours ago, gonzo said:

Yes pal it was the crosspool. Quite a few students went in there and worked there iirc. Remember staying over one night and they were all off to see the arctic monkeys at some mill place. 

Yeah. Great place the Crosspool Tavern. Guessing they saw the Arctic Monkeys at The Leadmill. Well after my time there but The Leadmill was always a great place to see upcoming bands. I'm that old I saw ABC and Pigbag there

• Moderators
16 minutes ago, miamiwhite said:

Just got back from there after helping my daughter move house.

Christ, it was heaving with flatdick on Eccy Road :D

Was always a funny one ecclesall road

Renowned for being a good place to go out but there was only about 3 pubs on it when I lived just off it - Pomona, nursery tavern and champs

All good like, but nowt like west street