Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Are We The Laughing Stock of The League?

Ruba Mustafa

Are fans from other teams laughing at us? 

Yes, they may be sympathetic on the surface but they’re delighting in our plight.

I think they are! 

I remember Blackpool having few players before the season started and I was laughing at them, knew they’d go down, they did.

(If I remember correctly)

So, are we the laughing stock of the league? 

Probably but who cares? If we have new owners, a fresh start and a team who try the rest is less important. 

I think some of our younger fans perhaps are still deluded - they've mainly seen us as a top flight club and are yet to adjust their expectations. As long as we have a club to watch in the football league that'll do for now. Regardless of who the players, manager or anyone else is I'll be there. 

22 minutes ago, bwfcfan5 said:

Probably but who cares? If we have new owners, a fresh start and a team who try the rest is less important. 

I think some of our younger fans perhaps are still deluded - they've mainly seen us as a top flight club and are yet to adjust their expectations. As long as we have a club to watch in the football league that'll do for now. Regardless of who the players, manager or anyone else is I'll be there. 

Again a very generic statement against our younger fans. I’m not sure we have any deluded fans after all that’s gone on?

Just now, tomski said:

Again a very generic statement against our younger fans. I’m not sure we have any deluded fans after all that’s gone on?

Deluded is a harsh word probably. I just mean perhaps that if you grew up watching us from late 90-s to mid 2010's you experienced a club with (most of the time) premiership ambitions and for some of it, European ambitions. You've had a long period where you saw BWFC rub shoulders with the best in the country and even in Europe. So its natural to have this view that league one is a blip and new owners and everything will see us steamroller our way back. The reality is that older fans might see it the other way and see the years under Sam as "above the norm" based on watching for two or three decades prior. 

Its about perspective people have. 

I doubt we get more than a passing glance from anyone other than Wigan & Bury fans 

I think it was Gonzo who said similar about Stockport County, one minute we were playing them at a competitive level, next minute they are playing Chorley and your none the wiser what’s gone on in between 

2 minutes ago, bwfcfan5 said:

Deluded is a harsh word probably. I just mean perhaps that if you grew up watching us from late 90-s to mid 2010's you experienced a club with (most of the time) premiership ambitions and for some of it, European ambitions. You've had a long period where you saw BWFC rub shoulders with the best in the country and even in Europe. So its natural to have this view that league one is a blip and new owners and everything will see us steamroller our way back. The reality is that older fans might see it the other way and see the years under Sam as "above the norm" based on watching for two or three decades prior. 

Its about perspective people have. 

Aye but I think if you’ve stick with the club the last 10 years you can’t accuse an age group of having it could per se.

I don't care what others think of us.

The position we're currently in is infinitely stronger than it could well have been. We played in the old Div 4 (now League 2) a little over 30 yrs ago having almost gone bump in the mid-80's. Football is cyclical and we'll have our day again in the future.

COYFWM!

7 minutes ago, Traf said:

I don't care what others think of us.

The position we're currently in is infinitely stronger than it could well have been. We played in the old Div 4 (now League 2) a little over 30 yrs ago having almost gone bump in the mid-80's. Football is cyclical and we'll have our day again in the future.

COYFWM!

I hope you're right.

15 years ago when we were cutting a swathe in the Prem, Burnley were struggling to stay up in the 3rd tier.  It's possible that in another 15 years we could swap places but I wonder if the multi millions around now might prevent that?  We're losing loads every year, while they're making huge profits.  

Anyway not wanting to rain on your positivity. COYFWM indeed

1 hour ago, Duck Egg said:

I hope you're right.

15 years ago when we were cutting a swathe in the Prem, Burnley were struggling to stay up in the 3rd tier.  It's possible that in another 15 years we could swap places but I wonder if the multi millions around now might prevent that?  We're losing loads every year, while they're making huge profits.  

Anyway not wanting to rain on your positivity. COYFWM indeed

Burnley’s issue is when, by hook or crook, they’re forced to rebuild Turf Moor. Costs a fortune, makes a dent in their playing budget, get relegated....

I think Burnley will be all right for a decade or so after this 

They hit it at the right time, just as the money got ridiculous, they could have 15 players on £100k a week and still have £50m a season left over! Different time from our ten years at the top 

1, 2 or even 3 more seasons at the top for them should see them well set up. 3 more seasons would see about half a billion pounds more come through the club (including parachute money), that’s probably more than the GDP of the town 

In fairness they have been run well and have gone about it the right way

59 minutes ago, DavidLeesMullet said:

Had a chat with a guy in my local a while ago who was a Coventry fan and he seemed sympathetic as his club is going through the mill too at the moment. 

Although we did end up having a heated debate about which fans had got it worse, think I won overall on points though. 

Did he forget to mention them moving to Northampton? 

1 hour ago, DavidLeesMullet said:

Had a chat with a guy in my local a while ago who was a Coventry fan and he seemed sympathetic as his club is going through the mill too at the moment. 

Although we did end up having a heated debate about which fans had got it worse, think I won overall on points though. 

Coventry bid 600k for a striker they had on loan last season.I think they are better off than us