Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Fer't th'owder end

bolty58

6 minutes ago, fatolive said:

Lock ins on a Saturday / Sunday afternoon 

All day opening fucking ruined that ...

Pubs in Athy on Sundays were 2 o'clock last orders, we could get to the 3 Crowns in Daisy Hill as Bolton was 2.30 then to Hag Fold working men's club for the 4 o'clock bell

10 off Bolty's list and 8 off Satan's. Fast food for me was chippy about once or twice a month when my dad came home from his rare visits to the conservative club (he was labour till the day he died but said the Conny club was a better place to go, the whole family were sworn never to divulge his secret). The chippy in question was Mr and Mrs Lee's opposite The Bell pub on Manchester Road East in Little Hulton and the only items they sold were fish, chips and  peas. The first prices I remember were 1p for peas, 2p for chips and 3p for fish, I think this would have been just after decimalisation.

If I was asleep he would wake me up and me and my mum and dad would share a portion of chips and fish between the three of us and watch whichever black and white film was on telly.

• Moderators
10 minutes ago, Aidy82 said:

Focus points from cig packets

Me and my mates all smoked embassy or regal but only one mate collected them, so we gave all ours to him

It took him a long time and all he had to show for it after what seemed like years was a pool table shaped ashtray and some clippers for shaving his head

Edited by ZicoKelly

• Members
7 hours ago, Good Knee said:

Cheers P I'm positively ancient remember all of em.

No worries C. Not mine BTW. That was sent to me by one of the head honcho's from BHP Iron Ore in Perth. He's from Whitehaven.

• Members
7 hours ago, Moon boy said:

Great post bolty, can I add,

Donkey stoning front steps,

Taking a pudding basin to the chippy,

Tripe,

Orange juice from the co-op milkman,

Cider lollies

On the subject of coffee shops with jukeboxes, loved them,  can remember a few of them Powell’s, Togs/Tognarellis in  Farnworth, the one on the corner at the bottom of Trinity street, near the technical college,  who’s name I can’t recall

Remember all of them mate. Thanks to TMGJ who also pointed out the taking bowls to the chippy. A brilliant way of avoiding plastic waste - hadn't thought of that!

The most influential coffee shop (with a soulful Juke Box beyond compare) in my life has to be the one close to the top of Bank St. (next door to Preston's). I used to catch the bus home as a raw 11/12 year old after attending BCGS on Gt. Moor St. Had to walk to the bus stop bottom of Bank St. outside the grain place. Seeing the Lambretta's lined up outside the Espresso Bar; the hugely impressive sharply dressed Mods and their beautiful birds (totally different and massively superior to the rough slapper Rocker tarts I was used to up Tonge Moor) had a lasting influence on me which, to an extent, has shaped my life.

My interest in gears developed from my first foray into an Li 125 gearbox and led to the career which has taken me around the world and rewarded me well; my Afro-American and Afro-Caribbean musical tastes started there as did my lifetime devotion to such things as 501's, Gazelles, Fred Perrys etc. Still wearing the latter now to accusations of "dressing too young". 'Fuck off - I've been wearing these since the mid Sixties' (not the very same ones, obviously!).

Cider lollies! Reminded me of Jubblies and Mambo's!

Edited by bolty58

11 from Boltys list.

I also remember the pop man coming round. At first it was Corona then Alpine muscled in with their cheaper prices but with inferior quality.

Taking bottles back to the shop for the 1d deposit. A chocolate vending machine outside Billy Phythians shop on Springfield Road in Kearsley.

Half day closing on Wednesday and Bolton holidays when almost everything closed for at least a week.

Pub Sunday opening hours of 12-2 and 7-10.30.

Spud guns. 

• Members
40 minutes ago, freds dad said:

11 from Boltys list.

I also remember the pop man coming round. At first it was Corona then Alpine muscled in with their cheaper prices but with inferior quality.

Taking bottles back to the shop for the 1d deposit. A chocolate vending machine outside Billy Phythians shop on Springfield Road in Kearsley.

Half day closing on Wednesday and Bolton holidays when almost everything closed for at least a week.

Pub Sunday opening hours of 12-2 and 7-10.30.

Spud guns. 

Them bastards could sting if they hit you in the right place!

• Site Supporter
48 minutes ago, bolty58 said:

Finger, thumb or Icky?

Aye, used to be brutal, landing as heavy as you could on top of some poor bastard who was hunched down!

British Bulldog - carnage for an 11 year old against the bigger lads.

38 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Seem to remember someone selling Bolton Evening News outside the bottom Bull from a little stand: maybe paper shops closed for local holidays or something.

All the newsagents closed down for Bolton holidays, which were the last week in June and the first week in July. There were sales points for the Evening News all around the town.

Bolton was like a morgue in those two weeks. Most folk scarpered off to Blackpool or Rhyl.

Edited by Steejay

• Site Supporter
9 minutes ago, RONNIE PHILLIPS said:

What was the lad called who sold the BEN in his wheelchair on the precinct? I've got Derek in my head but not sure... 

Bernard???

Didn't the Chelsea lot throw him down the town hall steps?

• Site Supporter
2 hours ago, Youri McAnespie said:

I'd heard that a 'Bolton lot' put him in the fountains...

Didn't he do a bit of bird for tobacco smuggling?

2 hours ago, Youri McAnespie said:

And had about 12 kids (allegedly).

Probably. I heard that he got done for fiddling with the women while they were paying for their paper!

I remember him dropping all his takings over the floor once - he jumped out of his chair & was scrambling all over the floor shouting 'Oh No, Oh No', while everybody dived in, helping themselves!

He'd get a job at B & Q these days mixing paint. Sorry...