Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Bands you'd never watch

Widnes Two Hats

I once, 1986/87 got bought a Daniel O’Donnell ticket as a thank you from my then partners mum for Manc Apollo and the same night The Stranglers were on in Blackburn, nightmare. I spent the full concert with a false smile on my face and, sober as I was driving and had to thank her at the end of the night.

bands I wouldn’t want to watch, U2, Coldplay, or any that you have to go through ticketmaster.

Not a band but Paul bloody McCartney.  He popped up on Spotify recommends the other day.  Usual tippy tappy upbeat tune with inane lyrics.  If anything proved Mark Chapman was insane, it was him shooting the wrong bloody Beatle 

• Members
15 hours ago, kent_white said:

Madness. Everything about them screams desperate attention seekers. 

What!!!!!???? Wash your fucking mouth out you recalcitrant Corbynite.

A British institution inspired by one of the most, if not THE most influential producer of Afro Caribbean genius commonly referred to simply as The Prince.

8 hours ago, bolty58 said:

What!!!!!???? Wash your fucking mouth out you recalcitrant Corbynite.

A British institution inspired by one of the most, if not THE most influential producer of Afro Caribbean genius commonly referred to simply as The Prince.

'I like driving in my car

Beepbeep honk honk squibble squibble honk honk

It's not quite a Jaguar

Beep beep honk honk squibble squibble honk honk'

Genius!

• Members
17 minutes ago, kent_white said:

'I like driving in my car

Beepbeep honk honk squibble squibble honk honk

It's not quite a Jaguar

Beep beep honk honk squibble squibble honk honk'

Genius!

Fair play - that is shit and I cringe when I hear it.

Still, there is a very large catalogue of Madness excellence which makes the odd slip into childish whimsy forgivable.

7 minutes ago, bolty58 said:

Fair play - that is shit and I cringe when I hear it.

Still, there is a very large catalogue of Madness excellence which makes the odd slip into childish whimsy forgivable.

To be fair I only know the hits - maybe their other stuff is much better. It's often the case!

• Members

I liked their earlier stuff which was heavily influenced by Prince Buster (even the bands name!).

TBH, not keen on a lot of their 'more commercial' stuff like 'Our House' and 'It Must Be Love' but they have been massive earners for them.

2 minutes ago, bolty58 said:

I liked their earlier stuff which was heavily influenced by Prince Buster (even the bands name!).

TBH, not keen on a lot of their 'more commercial' stuff like 'Our House' and 'It Must Be Love' but they have been massive earners for them.

You've just listed every Madness song I know. You can see why that might put someone off. I assumed it would all be like that.

One Step Beyond isn't too bad - but that dance goes through me!

• Members
3 minutes ago, kent_white said:

You've just listed every Madness song I know. You can see why that might put someone off. I assumed it would all be like that.

One Step Beyond isn't too bad - but that dance goes through me!

You will be aware that One Step Beyond is a passable attempt but a pale shadow of the original:-

Ever heard this track?