Jump to content
Wanderers Ways - passion not fashion
Sign in to follow this  
barryk32

splitting an ethernet cable.

Recommended Posts

What's the best way of doing it.

Daughter is having to keep swapping it between her pc and PS4 and she doesn't really know what she's doing.

I've seen splitters but it says you can only use one device at a time, which is fine but how does it know which one is in use as the PS4 doesn't actually ever switch off I don't think.

The other option is a switch but it seems a bit overkill as they seem to have 461 ports and she only needs 2.

Cheers ta.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can you not use Wifi? Just use a router like the one above. I might have one somewhere.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, dave2980 said:

Seems reasonable for 6 quid.

1 hour ago, Carlos said:

Can you not use Wifi? Just use a router like the one above. I might have one somewhere.

Shes on the top floor, wifi works for normal stuff but struggles for streaming/gaming etc pal

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Just use an ethernet switch like the one dave put up. Don't pay more than that 

Edited by Winchester White

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 22/07/2019 at 19:40, Winchester White said:

Just use an ethernet switch like the one dave put up. Don't pay more than that 

I also use a switch. WiFi signal can be odd where the telly is (round a corner from the router) and sometimes it freezes.

Easier than constantly moving the ethernet cable from tv to now TV box.

Plug the doofer into the mains, cables into the doofer and away you go.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The switch on link is max 100 megabits per second. If you're paying for more than that you are imposing a bottle neck on signal. One below would be better choice.

1gig version

Just networked 380 points on new water treatment plant between fibre and local CAT6 drops, so have an idea.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, green genie said:

The switch on link is max 100 megabits per second. If you're paying for more than that you are imposing a bottle neck on signal. One below would be better choice.

1gig version

Just networked 380 points on new water treatment plant between fibre and local CAT6 drops, so have an idea.

For watching telly I am sure the cheap one is more than up to the job though?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He asked about a PS4 which is the most broadband thirsty item you'll find in the house unless you are Bitcoin mining.

But hey save 7 quid and buy another one when bojo gets fibre into every house.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, green genie said:

He asked about a PS4 which is the most broadband thirsty item you'll find in the house unless you are Bitcoin mining.

But hey save 7 quid and buy another one when bojo gets fibre into every house.

It seemed to me she wasn't using them at the same time typically but as you are the expert I am happy to leave it.

Well before Boris gets fibre into every house many of those with crap broadband will have long fucked it off for 5G anyway.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.