Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Not going to the match.

barryk32

56 minutes ago, barryk32 said:

What's the reason you don't go anymore, you never know these lot might pay attention.

For me 20 quid or 24 quid doesn't make any difference, it's less than a decent pint. Less than the random shit I buy if I pop over the road for milk.

Folk moaning about 4 quid will happily go out on a Saturday spend 40 quid on a shit gram, 3.50 a pop for a shit beer and 8 quid in a taxi to go to a shit pub.  I'm not having 4 quid is the clincher.  If it genuinely is then fair enough but I'm not having it.  If you've not got 4 quid you certainly don't have 20.

For me personally it's because it's shit.  I had a season ticket from 91 until 04 when they fucked me over for a cup final ticket and in my rage I handed it back in at the window because it was "fucking pointless having one".

We were still doing ok then but the reason I went every week really was habit. Purely and simply habit.  The second that refund check came (I was hoping they'd sort me a ticket out) I no longer 'had' to go to the match.

I personally go to the match for the day out, starting early, get to the town centre rammed with Bolton, walking down en masse to the ground, being surrounded by like minded people who want to stand shout, sing and claim every decision.

I get absolutely none of that at a home game.  I go for a couple in an empty put while I wait for the bus to silently drop me off.  I sit in a cold empty silent stand where I'll get moaned at if I dare get excited and the little one will ask from the 7th minute when can we go home.  It just simply isn't an enjoyable experience, it's incredibly boring.

If I tell my 8 year old we're going to an away game he's excited as fuck and mithering every day for a fortnight.  I can't drag him to a home game though, he'd rather play Fortnite.

I'm not sure what the answer is, I don't think the FA want people clumped tightly bouncing around.

Spot on Barry, great post 

• Site Supporter

Indeed.

Used to enjoy a walk and a beer down to burnden. 

That said, those that live in horwich can have that bonus now I suppose.

When it comes down to it, it's what's on the pitch that ultimately will get fans in.

Last season was, for me, without doubt the worst ever. Just want to enjoy a game, some passion on and off the pitch and not be sat there looking at the watch, waiting to fuck off home.

That's done though now. Here's hoping for a brighter future.

I’ve always found the atmosphere argument an interesting one (not a dig I’m genuinely interested). Of course we’ve all had better times when it’s been bouncing but I go to watch my team predominantly then it’s have a pint and catch some mates.

The watching the team hasn’t changed over the years. I still love going and like many will take the rough with the smooth. Pre match routines have slowed down a lot over the years for many reasons as they do but I’ve adapted to that. 

Many of my pals have dropped off and I live in fear of any break I now have would lead me to an exile but no need for the break yet😂

3 hours ago, barryk32 said:

What's the reason you don't go anymore, you never know these lot might pay attention.

For me 20 quid or 24 quid doesn't make any difference, it's less than a decent pint. Less than the random shit I buy if I pop over the road for milk.

Folk moaning about 4 quid will happily go out on a Saturday spend 40 quid on a shit gram, 3.50 a pop for a shit beer and 8 quid in a taxi to go to a shit pub.  I'm not having 4 quid is the clincher.  If it genuinely is then fair enough but I'm not having it.  If you've not got 4 quid you certainly don't have 20.

For me personally it's because it's shit.  I had a season ticket from 91 until 04 when they fucked me over for a cup final ticket and in my rage I handed it back in at the window because it was "fucking pointless having one".

We were still doing ok then but the reason I went every week really was habit. Purely and simply habit.  The second that refund check came (I was hoping they'd sort me a ticket out) I no longer 'had' to go to the match.

I personally go to the match for the day out, starting early, get to the town centre rammed with Bolton, walking down en masse to the ground, being surrounded by like minded people who want to stand shout, sing and claim every decision.

I get absolutely none of that at a home game.  I go for a couple in an empty put while I wait for the bus to silently drop me off.  I sit in a cold empty silent stand where I'll get moaned at if I dare get excited and the little one will ask from the 7th minute when can we go home.  It just simply isn't an enjoyable experience, it's incredibly boring.

If I tell my 8 year old we're going to an away game he's excited as fuck and mithering every day for a fortnight.  I can't drag him to a home game though, he'd rather play Fortnite.

I'm not sure what the answer is, I don't think the FA want people clumped tightly bouncing around.

It’s what you make of it we’re shitter away from home than we are at home, if you need to make a day of it get up early head for Horwich or Bolton have a few scoops then head to the game. 

Everyone’s tastes are different, but I quite like being able to leave home at 2.15, park up for free, get a bottle of pop or a brew from the retail park, watch the game and be home for half 5. 

Home matches are for watching the game, away days are the ones for the piss up. 

13 hours ago, barryk32 said:

That was a proper low point. If I hadn't got a ticket for that game I'd have never gone back

• Site Supporter

as much as i dont agree with the moaning about £24, it would be one helluva statement by the club if we just went "twenty is plenty" and actually marketing it properly.

£20 adults, £10 kids and concessions, every game.

1 hour ago, Carlos said:

This £20 brigade, it's £12 to watch Ashton United v Colls next week.

and anyone kidding themselves it will be decent football at that level is a moonman. 

a good day out but the standard is awful 

most of the lads I went with have either had family's or sadly passed away 

It's just not the same for me anymore 

my dad lives in london so I don't have him to go with either 

I just go colls with my lifelong mates from time to time now

I mainly play golf all weekend now tbh

Sad really, I had a season ticket for over 10 years and had some of the best experiences of my life 

Edited by L/H White

10 minutes ago, L/H White said:

most of the lads I went with have either had family's or sadly passed away 

It's just not the same for me anymore 

my dad lives in london so I don't have him to go with either 

I just go colls with my lifelong mates from time to time now

I mainly play golf all weekend now tbh

Sad really, I had a season ticket for over 10 years and had some of the best experiences of my life 

thats the problem. folk grow up and change habbits. 

i found it hard going up on my own on the train to meet folk as i would have 4 hours on trains on me own which were shit but then had a decent time with people when i got there.

A few of my mates now go watching tranmere as they live by the ground and the day out sounds ace. i wouldn't do it but can see why you go with your mates to colls

Times change.

My dad used to drag me to games in the 70s with him.  It was cold, wet, piss ran down the terrace and soaked my feet, and I couldn't see anything as I was surrounded by much taller grown ups shouting words I shouldn't have been hearing.

Then one season he moved to the seats, and I could see the game.  Magic happened.  It became fun, Big Sam, Worthy, Peter Reid became my heroes.  

And then we became shit, dropped to the 4th division.  My dad stopped going (presumably having the same wobbles a lot of us are having now).  So I stopped going too.

Grew up, went to Uni and away from Bolton.   Started going to occasional away games on Saturday's around the country by train.   

Moved back to Bolton, got a job, we started our meteoric rise and I started going to all the home games I could with me old school chums.

Got the first season ticket when we moved to the Reebok.  Had one ever since.  

Moved away from Bolton.   Got married.  Had kids.   Always said kids should support their home town team, which makes me a hypocrite if I try and get them to be Bolton fans as they weren't born anywhere near it.  Oldest kid doesn't really like football.  Youngest does, he loves watching it on telly,  plays in an U11s team and is quite good.  Dragged him to several random BWFC games when my wife had plans and I had no choice - every single one over the past couple of years we lost and didn't even score.   He hated it.  That magic that happened when my dad took me has yet to happen for him.

It's a 60 mile round trip for me to home games now.   God knows how much that costs me in petrol over a season.   Since we went shit, it's been more of a hassle than something I look forward to.   It's not really about the football anymore, more the pints + chinwag with mickbrown in the pub before and after the game that keeps me going. 

Having the season ticket auto renew and by direct debit just keeps delaying the inevitable.  I've got the magic bit of plastic in my wallet that gets me into home games, so I may as well still go.

I would love it to be about the football again, but season after season after season that just ain't happening...

It's 12 years since I saw a game; Athletico Madrid at home was my last one. I live abroad now; retired; so that is probably me done. I still follow them and watched the BN commentary on my phone last Saturday from Wycombe and truly felt the pride.

The Cardiff cup final was the beginning of the end for me. Though a ST holder, I didn't get a ticket. Got one in Cardiff for £100 that was from a player. On the coach going down a Wigan Rugby League fan behind me had a ticket and was looking forward to his first ever football match. The club handled the fallout poorly and a senior manager at the club told me that if I gave up my ST I would go on a waiting list and would have to wait years for another. Delusions of grandeur I think you call it.

Safe standing should come along soon and I can see 3 of the lower decks getting converted. This could well tempt a lot back if the pricing is right and the atmosphere at matches will improve.

The clubs fortunes go in cycles and when the good times come around again you appreciate them all the more after the bad times. Hopefully, this is the nadir and things will slowly get better.

Up The Whites!

Over the years I’ve gone to the match with many different people. Very few of them go now and I usually pitch up on my own. My lads occasionally tag along when they can bother (to be fair, ones in Sydney but he’ll be at Rotherham and the other coaches on a Saturday)

I mentioned on Saturday after the game that I always see someone I know due to the many people I have met while watching the team. Not sure they always appreciate me gatecrashing their party. I’ve never asked. I’ll be mithering some other poor sods on Saturday as well.😊

Not having a ST anymore has drastically reduced the number of games that I go to. 2013/14 was the last season that I had one. Both daughters moved away, my mate moved down south and his lad went off to uni so all of a sudden I was on my own. Add to that being out of work for 12 months meant a ST wasn’t really viable. Now my job means I’m away a lot during the week so midweeks are generally out

Combination of loads of things mean I struggle to hit double figures for home games now. Hitting my mid-fifties means priorities have changed and saturdays often see me doing things that I need to do rather than want to. Still enjoy match day despite the quality served up. There’s still something special about it no matter what. 

I suspect it will be when I retire that I’ll get a ST again. Until then I’ll just go when I can. At least when I can go and turn up in Scott’s (forget its new name) I still see the odd person I know for a chat and a pint