Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Gigs that have changed your mind

Not in Crawley

With my job I have to see lots of stuff I’d never normally go to, but some of the gigs I’ve worked on thinking this is not for me have turned out to be great. Any concerts you’ve had to go to and had you’re mind changed?

Marc Almond - great show and a bit of burlesque as well, not complaining

Ennio Morroconie - thought it'd all be western but the music from The Mission is beautiful.

SEB - honestly! She’s great live.

On the flip side seen I Am Kloot live 3 times and never enjoyed it and they’re probably my favourite band.

Went to see Rod Stewart at the Nynex with me dad as my mum (the rodders fan) was ill. Few beers and a singsong with the old fella was a cracking night. 

Saw Eric Clapton at the arena a couple of weeks after seeing Jeff Beck at the Bridgewater. It was completely ruined by the lack of sound quality at the arena. Despite knowing very little of JB's stuff it was far better than Clapton. 

Showaddywaddy!!!! They were really good. I was amazed. And the lead singer jumped into the audience to have a straightener with someone who threw a pint at the stage

Public Enemy were utter shite. Saw their first tour supporting Run DMC. Went again a couple of years later when they were the main band hoping for better. Complete dross

Beardyman - a mate of mine dragged me along to watch what he described as a 'beatboxer'. Basically my idea of pure hell. Anyway - turned out to be one of my favourite gigs - because he was like a multi-instrumentalist and making up tunes on the fly based on ideas the audience were shouting out to him. Brilliant if you ever get to watch him.

David Bowie at the Hardrock in Stretford mid 72, so impressed, i went again late 72 and he was really on his game. I went watching Bowie again in a bigger venue at the Free Trade Hall in 73 when he had reached super stardom but it never seemed to have the same effect on me watching him from miles away when only a few months before i was stood close to the stage.

Got a free ticket to watch The Who due to a last minute drop out, I was only going to watch Joe Strummer and the Mescaleros who were the support then I was going to shoot off anyhow, thought I'd stay and watch the Who's first couple of songs, best band I ever saw live,  needless to say I stayed til the end, even through the encores

• Moderators

REM - didn't mind them, but wasn't a big fan - saw them at Move festival at Old Trafford in 2003 and they were ace, basically did a greatest hits set, liked them more than I realsied, think I was put off by the fact all their fans in the 90s were up their own arses when it came to music

Nick Cave, well sort of, saw him on Glastonbury IPlayer by chance bout 5 years ago and got massively into him to the point I went to Brooklyn to watch him

I really liked Kings of Leon till i saw them at the arena around the time of sex on fire and half the audience hadn't heard of them up till that song - still like them but only ever listen to the first two or three albums, can't be doing with the rest of them

Example. Me and our peg ended up with tickets and just went for the night out and excuse for a stop over in Manchester. 

Didnt realise he has a proper cult following that’s been with him since his apparent underground days. The Apollo was fuckin bouncing, 30+ year old blokes leaping about all over the shop. He was ace too.

Always liked him after that. 

44 minutes ago, ZicoKelly said:

I really liked Kings of Leon till i saw them at the arena around the time of sex on fire and half the audience hadn't heard of them up till that song - still like them but only ever listen to the first two or three albums, can't be doing with the rest of them

Same, once you can understand what they are saying it's time to switch off. American Coldplay from then on

19 minutes ago, Cheese said:

Didn't take much notice of Amy Winehouse until I saw her live, supporting Arctic Monkeys at LCCC. Fell in love with her that night. She was amazing.

She was quality! 

For me it would be Erasure. Me and the Mrs did a two nighter at Delamere forest a few years back. Courteeners on the Friday and Erasure on the Saturday. Crowds couldn't have been more different, piss chucking nob heads on the Friday and gays and plenty of milfs on the Saturday but it was enjoyable none the less!

Needless to say I had the last laugh. 

6 hours ago, Winchester White said:

I have never been to a stadium or arena gig. Been to loads and loads of gigs in pubs and clubs and small festivals  watching bands but never watched a major one. Dunno why but they don't appeal.

The clues are in the thread above....beer chucking knobs shouting every lyric....miles from stage watching jumbotron ...hour queue for a warm cider...

1 hour ago, green genie said:

The clues are in the thread above....beer chucking knobs shouting every lyric....miles from stage watching jumbotron ...hour queue for a warm cider...

Oasis at the Etihad a few years ago was pure hell. Piss chucking rather than beer chucking knobs

Never been to a stadium or arena gig since 

6 minutes ago, kent_white said:

:) - I take your Sonic Youth and raise you a half arsed Bob Dylan stood in the pissing rain and mud.

Fair point - we left after half the set I recall.

At least you didn’t get ‘Glastonbury ears’ and came away thinking Spearhead were the greatest band of all time like some I could mention 😂

1 hour ago, kent_white said:

:) - I take your Sonic Youth and raise you a half arsed Bob Dylan stood in the pissing rain and mud.

I take his Sonic Youth and raise My Bloody Valentine on Rollercoaster tour with Dinosaur Jr, Jesus and Mary Chain and a fledgling Blur.

MBV thought they could get people to literally shit themselves through bass reverb.

7 minutes ago, green genie said:

I take his Sonic Youth and raise My Bloody Valentine on Rollercoaster tour with Dinosaur Jr, Jesus and Mary Chain and a fledgling Blur.

MBV thought they could get people to literally shit themselves through bass reverb.

Would have loved to see that - was a bit obsessed with Dinosaur Jr. 

16 hours ago, Not in Crawley said:

With my job I have to see lots of stuff I’d never normally go to, but some of the gigs I’ve worked on thinking this is not for me have turned out to be great. Any concerts you’ve had to go to and had you’re mind changed?

Marc Almond - great show and a bit of burlesque as well, not complaining

Ennio Morroconie - thought it'd all be western but the music from The Mission is beautiful.

SEB - honestly! She’s great live.

On the flip side seen I Am Kloot live 3 times and never enjoyed it and they’re probably my favourite band.

Just picking up on your comment about I am Kloot, as they grew as a band the live performances did seem to deteriorate where as when they first started performing in small venues like band on the wall ect they were brilliant.