Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Gigs that have changed your mind

Not in Crawley

I was gibbing a bit - the gig at Electric Ballroom was good, but the Apollo in MCR was a massive let down. They seem to have mellowed and I’m a bit sick of seeing bands perform sitting down. Spiritualized did the same last year and it was really dull - the light show didn’t save it either.

I love I Am Kloot too and have seen em loads of times but the best one was definitely as a 3 piece at Night and Day about 10 years ago. I get what you mean about them mellowing, that rawness has been replaced by additional musicians. Bramwell acoustic gigs are still great though.

• Moderators

Go Team - loved their first album, really good, unique sound at the time

the only gig I've ever walked out of, was just a mess, two drummers didn't work live

then one of them did an acapella solo and it was like watching a 6 year old kid perform for her parents and their mates

thinking about it, I might have walked out of Dodgy as well - great in the 90s, but watched them maybe 5, maybe 10 years ago at Club Academy - was awkward and they seemed reluctant to play their hits so it was mostly album fillers, and I don't recall hearing the good stuff, so they either didn't play them or I left early - am sure @Smiley and @jules_darby were there too

The Black Crowes at Manchester Academy. Had bought 4 tickets to sell on at profit. Mrs tells me she really likes them. So I sell two and we go to watch them. Knew 2 songs - but was still engrossed in their 2 hour plus set-list. Fine musicians at their best in a small venue. Previously thought they were just a bunch of stoner-grebos.

Human League at V-Festival. It was one of those - ok, let's head into the tent, see what happens, if its shit, let's just do one. Think I'd nearly lost my voice by the time they'd finished. Immense.

• Moderators

That REM Move Festival, there was loads of good stuff on, REM fans were turning up just to watch them, fuck all interest in all the other stuff they'd paid for. Shiny Happy Twats.

Human League are indeed immense live.

Worst live band must be James, "ok, here's another new one". Fuck off you pretentious cock.

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, Carlos said:

That REM Move Festival, there was loads of good stuff on, REM fans were turning up just to watch them, fuck all interest in all the other stuff they'd paid for. Shiny Happy Twats.

Aye, seem to recall badly drawn boy having a moan that most of audience weren't there to see him 

46 minutes ago, Carlos said:

Worst live band must be James, "ok, here's another new one". Fuck off you pretentious cock.

I concur. Saw them headline at Beatherder a few years back. I was three sheets to the wind and looking forward to a set peppered with classics. Just got a load of stuff 'off their new album'. Fuck off and play Laid! :)

11 minutes ago, Carlos said:

Big E fucking loves Ride.

Vapour Trail is one of the greatest singles of all time.

Saw MBV at the Apollo a few years back. They were handing out earplugs on the way in and there were posters everywhere saying 'wear ear protection'. 

Only really knew 'Only Shallow' but it was worth the temporary tinitus for.

33 minutes ago, kent_white said:

I concur. Saw them headline at Beatherder a few years back. I was three sheets to the wind and looking forward to a set peppered with classics. Just got a load of stuff 'off their new album'. Fuck off and play Laid! :)

Hang on I'm not having that - their last new album was ace. You go back and listen to Beardyman or whatever nonsense you like this week 😁

49 minutes ago, Not in Crawley said:

Hang on I'm not having that - their last new album was ace. You go back and listen to Beardyman or whatever nonsense you like this week 😁

It might be. But it's not what you need when you're off your wazzock at a festival and you've never heard any of the songs before. Fair enough at your own gig you can be a bit self indulgent - but not when you're headlining somewhere FFS.

• Site Supporter

U2 were shite, stopping every other song telling people to donate to the charity on the screen and to turn your phones to him so he could see how many people had done it.  Hows about you donate your fee you tax dodging shithouse.

Swanny got us tickets for the Blackpool lights switch on.  Rick Astley was fucking amazing.  Just an out and out entertainer.

1 hour ago, Smiley said:

James were hugely disappointing last time out. Just before Xmas at the Arena. Way too much stuff off the last 2 albums. Don’t think I will bother again. 

See I loved their new album and loved hearing the songs on it. That’s not to say I didn’t keep shouting for Where is the Love.

in fact Goldmother - what an amazing album 

Got free tickets to GnR in London, took the mrs- she’s always hated them....after 3 hours she’s been the biggest fan ever.

Went to Download to see them - free again - has the best time. Mrs even lamped a guy who was giving grief to another girl before said guy got lifted out by a bloke who looked like Thor.

thats the biggest change in band opinion I’ve personally seen.

and KW, GnR are fucking ace before you start 😂

31 minutes ago, Not in Crawley said:

Got free tickets to GnR in London, took the mrs- she’s always hated them....after 3 hours she’s been the biggest fan ever.

Went to Download to see them - free again - has the best time. Mrs even lamped a guy who was giving grief to another girl before said guy got lifted out by a bloke who looked like Thor.

thats the biggest change in band opinion I’ve personally seen.

and KW, GnR are fucking ace before you start 😂

Seeing GnR depends on which Axl Rose turns up that night. Self indulgent arrogant cunt Axl and they'll be late on and shite. Rock star Axl and they're one of the best live acts I've seen

Kiss. A few years ago i went when Ace Freely jumped back on board. Best gig I've ever been to. Fire, blood, loud music, good interaction with the mob. It was just a fantastic show. Great entertainment. Saw them again a couple of weeks ago. Again, I wasn't disappointed. You don't have to be a fan or even know their stuff. It's just a great show.

Edited by Underpants

14 hours ago, MancWanderer said:

Oasis at the Etihad a few years ago was pure hell. Piss chucking rather than beer chucking knobs

Never been to a stadium or arena gig since 

Never been a gig like it. I’ve seen the odd pint of piss here and there at festivals but nothing like that day. Clothes, trainers straight in the bin. Filthy fuckers. 

11 hours ago, Underpants said:

Kiss. A few years ago i went when Ace Freely jumped back on board. Best gig I've ever been to. Fire, blood, loud music, good interaction with the mob. It was just a fantastic show. Great entertainment. Saw them again a couple of weeks ago. Again, I was disappointed. You don't have to be a fan or even know their stuff. It's just a great show.

Gene Simmons sucked my mrs finger with his demon tongue!

14 hours ago, frank_spencer said:

Seeing GnR depends on which Axl Rose turns up that night. Self indulgent arrogant cunt Axl and they'll be late on and shite. Rock star Axl and they're one of the best live acts I've seen

On the last tour he’s been totally on it, still an amazing singer and both were great shows. London edged it for me.