Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

When the lights went out

globaldiver

• Site Supporter

I was talking to the father in law earlier. This sort of stuff was his career.

He explained how in a couple of days so info will be available for a general explanation and maybe a week or two for more in depth analysis.

He did say a lot of adverse weather about yesterday, and something a simple as an unfortunately placed lightning strike can cause protection systems to kick in. These aren't necessarily to protect supply, but to protect the plant producing electricity.

Far too early to attribute something more sinister.

1 hour ago, leigh white said:

When you close all the pits down what provided the power on our little island and now depend on other sources, it was a sinister way to hit you more in the pocket.

Blimey....is it 40 years yet since the loss making pits closed? no way should we be going back to burning fossel fuels if we can help it, Nuclear, fracking, wind and solar is where its at from now on

Just now, Sweep said:

Blimey....is it 40 years yet since the loss making pits closed? no way should we be going back to burning fossel fuels if we can help it, Nuclear, fracking, wind and solar is where its at from now on

Fuck off, nuclear fuel has been subbed to our armpits by the brit tax payer, Clean coal was always the future, Not bothered anymore, let the generations of kids suffer for our plight of neglect.

2 minutes ago, leigh white said:

let the generations of kids suffer for our plight of neglect.

To be fair, I agree with that. Fuck future generations, they can sort it out, we'll be OK for the next 50 years or so, which should see me right. I don't care what happens after that to be honest.

21 hours ago, kent_white said:

Are you trying to imply there was a power cut because we are using more renewables then?

No

I'll be surprised if the review doesn't show it is a result of energy policy over successive governments

• Site Supporter
11 hours ago, leigh white said:

Fuck off, nuclear fuel has been subbed to our armpits by the brit tax payer, Clean coal was always the future, Not bothered anymore, let the generations of kids suffer for our plight of neglect.

I've never been convinced by nuclear, the decommissioning costs and issues over spent fuel put a spanner in it for me.

That said, coal is for dinosaurs.

• Members
22 hours ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

I've never been convinced by nuclear, the decommissioning costs and issues over spent fuel put a spanner in it for me.

That said, coal is for dinosaurs.

I am partially convinced. If the government down here had approved Pangea Resouces Project to take the worlds nuclear waste and store it in a massive lead lined concrete sarcophagus beneath the Great Sandy Desert until such time it could be exported to the moon, that bit would have been covered.

I do concede however that there would be risk in the shipment of it.

The income from this simple storage facility would have made the Premier leagues wage bill look microscopic by comparison.

Of course it was fucking ferals, greenies and other assorted commie pinko freaks who led the protests. Water cannon and cattle prods should have been deployed.

Edited by bolty58

• Site Supporter

I've sometimes wondered; what happens to all the spoil from the production of uranium from its ore?

Could the spent fuel be gradually 'drip fed' back into this spoil at a concentration akin to what it came out at, and that then be put back into the hole it was dug out from?

Back to the main topic, one of the biggest things I see happening is a cultural change whereby demand is reduced. For example how many shops and buildings do you see lit up at night- for no reason other than maybe advertising their existence?

I spoke to one of my extended family members last night who is high up in IT for the National Grid.

Apparently one gas powered station and one wind powered station both lost access to the grid at the same time. The system is designed to cope with one outage - but not two. He also said that whilst two going down simultaneously is a rare occurrence, it can and does happen. 

The grid then had to make the decision about how to meet the needs of the most people by effectively limiting power to some areas. It was those that were limited that had the black outs.

He also said something technical about decreased wavelengths but I didn't know what he was on about.

Edited by kent_white

I find it hard to believe that new housing is still being built to be so inefficient where energy is concerned. Shirley if renewables like solar panels with battery storage and maybe wind turbines, ground source heat pumps etc where to be added at the planning stage it would relieve the added demand on the national grid? 

• Site Supporter
1 minute ago, tkonion said:

I find it hard to believe that new housing is still being built to be so inefficient where energy is concerned. Shirley if renewables like solar panels with battery storage and maybe wind turbines, ground source heat pumps etc where to be added at the planning stage it would relieve the added demand on the national grid? 

You would think so but we live in a house only 5 years old. We have some air recirculation system which means there are no window vents needed and it keeps the house cool in summwr and warm in winter. Does it bollocks. Everyone on our estate is on at least their 2nd unit as they break all the time. Many don't bother once it has as you are talking 300 quid to fix. Our covenant actually states no solar panels, how fucking stupid.

41 minutes ago, Winchester White said:

You would think so but we live in a house only 5 years old. We have some air recirculation system which means there are no window vents needed and it keeps the house cool in summwr and warm in winter. Does it bollocks. Everyone on our estate is on at least their 2nd unit as they break all the time. Many don't bother once it has as you are talking 300 quid to fix. Our covenant actually states no solar panels, how fucking stupid.

That's even more disappointing, there needs to be a legal option to fit them retrospectively as a minimum. Guessing that your place is leasehold?

• Site Supporter
47 minutes ago, tkonion said:

That's even more disappointing, there needs to be a legal option to fit them retrospectively as a minimum. Guessing that your place is leasehold?

Fuck. Me. Don't get me started on cunting leaseholds. Turns out in about 20 years my house could be near fucking worthless due to the leasehold rates going up so much. Got a class action of 1000 other folk like me on the go at the minute.

2 hours ago, Winchester White said:

Fuck. Me. Don't get me started on cunting leaseholds. Turns out in about 20 years my house could be near fucking worthless due to the leasehold rates going up so much. Got a class action of 1000 other folk like me on the go at the minute.

Hope it gets sorted out for you mate, it's scandalous how shit like this is allowed to continue.