Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Rochdale away

radcliffe white

On 12/08/2019 at 20:43, ZiggyStardust said:

Daughter is having her first away day tomorrow, on the back of the excitement of the Kids on Saturday.

If I mentioned an away game to her before, you would have thought that I was proposing to go on a day trip around B&Q, such would be the contempt.

4-0 to them, then.

She's now got the bug.

Wants to know when the next away trip is.

• Members

Just back , Enjoyed the game , plenty effort from our youth , great to have a couple of goals to cheer , pleased that the positive support from the fans didn't waiver when we were losing long may that continue ...... it feels like we are in it together ..

Highlights .... https://www.skysports.com/watch/video/sports/football/teams/bolton-wanderers/11784884/rochdale-5-2-bolton

3 hours ago, Mr Grey said:

Crowd of 3362. 2000+ from Bolton. Top support 👏

Well done to the kids again, but professional is going to be tough on them at their age, injuries are occurring with each game and they need some help from senior pro's.  

All the more important that the shizzle surrounding the sale is sorted out sooner than later.

Just shy of 1600 Bolton, but still almost half the crowd

10 hours ago, Ani said:

today was a harsh dose of reality. It is asking too much of the kids to compete twice a week against adults with bigger squads. 

You can never knock their commitment but we also have to think of their long term welfare. Parky took Connel out of games last season to protect his development. 3 lads off injured tonight. 

These kids have been brilliant hopefully we get the mess sorted because it is unfair to ask them to keep doing this job. 

Even in defeat there is more of a feel good factor about the club than for a long time. 

Agree totally with all of that.

I know he's on the shit list for some folk but thought Lowe did a decent job last night as player and captain, he was having quiet words and encouraging the young uns a lot.

Edited by ErnestTurnip

• The topic was unpinned
  • Site Supporter
12 hours ago, HomerJay said:

Just got back. Bloody m61 shut.

Played well in patches. All went to pot when Edwards went off. 

Shame, deserved more.

Last week i said Lowe and Murphy would improve us. I was wrong. Murphy is no better than any of the kids.

Get the young left back back in, and put Lowe in centre mid where he belongs.

That's what I was wondering and why I asked about Murphy.

From what folk have said, Lowe has played well in the two games this season, should he be the main man in midfield, directing operations; keep him in his best position?

Once Edwards went off, had lowe gone into midfield with white coming on as left back, might it have helped prevent the onslaught and protected the back 4 a little?

Another great effort from those young lads, shame score ended up being a bit harsh on them but nothing for them to be down about, expressed themselves, showed some real quality at times and never stopped trying. 

As has been said though, this cant stretch on over a few more weeks or their welfare will be compromised and we will eventually run out of fit players to name a team and bench from.

Was great though to enjoy and appreciate what they were doing, the brand of football they were trying to play and their sheer joy at taking the lead twice. They deserved every bit of that backing and the applause at the end. Great that so many stayed to the end to do that and show them we're all with them. A number of them showed that, even if and when we get a body of senior players, they can, and should, be in and around the team during the rest of the season. 

A far more enjoyable experience, watching a 2-5 defeat, than anything over the previous two seasons, maybe with the sole exception of final day of season before last

Lowe was a big miss in the midfield, much as he was at Wycombe when he ended up having to fill in at right back. He'd make ten times the effect in that position than Murphy.

Worryingly, I thought Matthews looked a lot more shaky than Alexander did on Saturday, particularly on the corner they scored from late on.

The young lads have done us proud and we just need a big, experienced lump up top - making Magennis' antics all the more galling - and old head alongside Zouma. Breaking up too many of the kids would potentially do more harm than good and disrupt the good things that they're doing on the ball, but there's no doubt we need a bit more mettle as the season goes on.

30 minutes ago, Leyther_Matt said:

Lowe was a big miss in the midfield, much as he was at Wycombe when he ended up having to fill in at right back. He'd make ten times the effect in that position than Murphy.

Worryingly, I thought Matthews looked a lot more shaky than Alexander did on Saturday, particularly on the corner they scored from late on.

The young lads have done us proud and we just need a big, experienced lump up top - making Magennis' antics all the more galling - and old head alongside Zouma. Breaking up too many of the kids would potentially do more harm than good and disrupt the good things that they're doing on the ball, but there's no doubt we need a bit more mettle as the season goes on.

Interesting as I’d say Edwards and Zouma have buttoned up the CB position. Obviously need cover but I’ve seen enough to run with these 2

22 minutes ago, tomski said:

Interesting as I’d say Edwards and Zouma have buttoned up the CB position. Obviously need cover but I’ve seen enough to run with these 2

I do like Edwards and think he'll do well but I think it's just one of those positions where we need someone who has been around the block a bit, plus I expect the youngsters will find things a bit tougher in terms of injuries and fitness so we need the extra cover anyway.

14 minutes ago, radcliffewhite1 said:

I certainly think 4/5 of these lads could do well mixed into a more experience side 

Agreed.

Brockbank should be our first choice right back now.

Zouma and Edwards occasionally together or 1 at the side with Hobbs 

If we ever move forward with the takeover then Weir, Darcy and Politic should all feature regularly 

• 1 month later...