Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Micro-naps while driving

Underpants

Aye drifted across on to the hard shoulder on the way home from a night shift in Lancaster. The bumps woke me up before I hit the barrier. Arse went. Fuck knows how long I was asleep.

Jesus I don’t miss all that motorway bollocks every day. 

• Site Supporter

Once set off to London at 5am for a job and didn't finish till 3am. Didn't have anything to eat all day just drank coffee as some idiot fucked up and we were seriously in the shit. Fixed the problem and couldn't be arsed finding a hotel at that time in the arse end of Acton. Set off home wired on coffee and was fine till Birmingham. Going round the bendy bits of the M5 northbound I suddenly nodded off and crossed three lanes and ended up in the ditch next to the central barrier doing fuck knows how fast in some shitty hire car. I pulled off at the next junction and found a petrol station where I slept for an hour then refulled on coffee.

Never again.

On 11/08/2019 at 20:50, Biggish Dave said:

I’d hazard a guess the vast majority of us have done it. Not a great feeling when you realise you’ve just done it.

pisses me off you only get a couple of hours free parking at services if you need a kip. 4 hours should be plenty though

This is spot on. More free parking at services would help people take adequate breaks while driving.

I drive all day at work but I have to take a tacho break. I then have to drive home when finished. I'm never tired after a day behind the wheel. Saturday I was driving home from St David's in Pembrokeshire, a hell of a journey, after a week down there where I also did all the driving around. That combined with earlyish starts, lateish to bed and sleeping in a strange bed, which I never like, probably contributed to my fatigue driving home.

I felt it coming on and i thought a slap about the face and a bottle of lucazade would help. It didn't. Proper near death experience. Lesson learned.

Edited by Underpants