Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Hong Kong

gonzo

Weekend riots have become the new norm but this week, it’s midweek too and the place is on lockdown. I can’t get to the office etc.
no end in sight cos govt/police are useless and the protestors are leaderless idealistic young kids so it becomes tit for tat

really sad to see this fantastic place destroyed 

9 hours ago, zurichwhite said:

Weekend riots have become the new norm but this week, it’s midweek too and the place is on lockdown. I can’t get to the office etc.
no end in sight cos govt/police are useless and the protestors are leaderless idealistic young kids so it becomes tit for tat

If they are leaderless why is Joshua Wong interviewed so often on TV?

• Site Supporter
9 hours ago, zurichwhite said:

Do you feel safe still?

Take care whatever.

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, zurichwhite said:

There’s no one prepared to mediate on the protesters side Malc. 

Cheers TMGJ, somewhat safe but when they’re lobbing bricks at buses from bridges and throwing petrol bombs in downtown area, it feels like the beginning of the end...😢

This is what I don't get, why are the protesters attacking buses etc, in other words the general public?

Doesn't this work against them?

• Site Supporter
4 hours ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

This is what I don't get, why are the protesters attacking buses etc, in other words the general public?

Doesn't this work against them?

It'll certainly not attract support. But then, if you're not with them, you're against them and if you're against them, you may get set on fire.

I get that the Chinese Government, when we handed HK back, agreed that all this would happen 50 years later but is their bringing forward the return to Chinese law not just moving these protests from 2049 to 2019?

• Site Supporter
1 minute ago, MickyD said:

It'll certainly not attract support. But then, if you're not with them, you're against them and if you're against them, you may get set on fire.

I get that the Chinese Government, when we handed HK back, agreed that all this would happen 50 years later but is their bringing forward the return to Chinese law not just moving these protests from 2049 to 2019?

With the Chinese authorities being as trustworthy as they are, I did contemplate the possibility that some of these wazzing bricks at buses may have been implanted undercover police, deliberately widening the trouble.

There’s all sorts of fake news about undercover police etc, but TMGJ nail on head, you’re with them or against them. Can’t cross the roadblock without fear of being attacked, some old boy died after being hit by a brick, no one mourning that poor sod.

Anyway today was relatively trouble free but we await it all kicking off tomorrow while they regroup. The protesters are very resourceful it has to be said 

• Site Supporter
10 minutes ago, zurichwhite said:

There’s all sorts of fake news about undercover police etc, but TMGJ nail on head, you’re with them or against them. Can’t cross the roadblock without fear of being attacked, some old boy died after being hit by a brick, no one mourning that poor sod.

Anyway today was relatively trouble free but we await it all kicking off tomorrow while they regroup. The protesters are very resourceful it has to be said 

I remember early on, when they had invaded some building or other, but left money for food they'd got out of a machine. Impressive.

But it seems to have gone to pot, a tit for tat spiral into ever more violence.

If the worst was to happen, how easy is it for you to get out?

Can't see this ending well. China can't be seen to back down. I actually think they don't want HK to be any different from what it was before the troubles. HK is good for China as it is. Unfortunately for China they never thought about the consequences of that extradition thing with the Kongs. I see lots of bother on the news, but I don't hear of any dialogue going on between the two sides. Will be interesting to see how this sorts itself out.

• Site Supporter
6 minutes ago, Underpants said:

Can't see this ending well. China can't be seen to back down. I actually think they don't want HK to be any different from what it was before the troubles. HK is good for China as it is. Unfortunately for China they never thought about the consequences of that extradition thing with the Kongs. I see lots of bother on the news, but I don't hear of any dialogue going on between the two sides. Will be interesting to see how this sorts itself out.

I'm not seeing anything like a hierarchical order of control on the side of the protesters. Anyone putting themselves across as spokesman or leader would find themselves in jail quicker than they can say 滚开,我什么也没说。

9 minutes ago, MickyD said:

I'm not seeing anything like a hierarchical order of control on the side of the protesters. Anyone putting themselves across as spokesman or leader would find themselves in jail quicker than they can say 滚开,我什么也没说。

One country, two systems. Leaders already there. That lot on the front line aren't exactly being told to go home and make a cup of tea by the folk at the top.

• Members

Only a matter of time before the Chinese Army march in. Sad but seems inevitable.

Traf's reet. People will go missing never to be heard of again.

I wonder when we will see an Extinction Rebellion protest in Beijing?

Edited by bolty58

1 hour ago, bolty58 said:

Only a matter of time before the Chinese Army march in. Sad but seems inevitable.

Beijing is too clogged up with smog and shit, you’ll never see anything.

• Site Supporter
3 hours ago, bolty58 said:

I reckon they'd become extinct!

That 'Reggie in China' t'other day...

Scary shit;

12 hour days, six day weeks.

Surveillance everywhere.

Flying motorbikes.

Eavesdropping earpieces.

The very worst communism and capitalism has to offer scaffolded by the best technology around.

Trump, Putin, Brexit etc. all mere distractions as the tiddlies quietly go about their business planning for totalitarian world domination whilst gorging on drone-delivered tiger penis noodles in sharkfin broth topped with shavings of rhino horn...

6 hours ago, Youri McAnespie said:

That 'Reggie in China' t'other day...

Scary shit;

12 hour days, six day weeks.

Surveillance everywhere.

Flying motorbikes.

Eavesdropping earpieces.

The very worst communism and capitalism has to offer scaffolded by the best technology around.

Trump, Putin, Brexit etc. all mere distractions as the tiddlies quietly go about their business planning for totalitarian world domination whilst gorging on drone-delivered tiger penis noodles in sharkfin broth topped with shavings of rhino horn...

Don't forget Xi was a victim when his father was purged from the leadership team in 1963.  While this won't make him sympathetic, he will at least have some understanding.