Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Parky Gone

HomerJay

Guest Nordkurve
11 hours ago, ErnestTurnip said:

For me this means that we are either done or he knows we are being taken over in the next few days and he knew he was being potted.

If I start backing both sides like that though I might as well start posting in the TAKE OVER thread.

Already posted before about Campbell as potential manager, Nolan is emperor's new clothes for me, and I honestly started to wonder if Lee had left - where's he been when the young uns have been out? No fucking where cos they aren't his regardless of the folk shouting "play the youth" last year.

If he knew he was being potted, surely he would have stayed and got the Compensation he would be entitled to being as he is on a rolling Contract ? I really don't believe he would throw that away especially if he hasn't been getting paid for half a year or so anyway.

1 hour ago, Nordkurve said:

If he knew he was being potted, surely he would have stayed and got the Compensation he would be entitled to being as he is on a rolling Contract ? I really don't believe he would throw that away especially if he hasn't been getting paid for half a year or so anyway.

This definitely.

• Site Supporter
17 minutes ago, Mr Grey said:

Club statement, resignations been accepted and Jimmy Phillips takes over as interim manager over the 1st team.... didn't know we had one 🙄

We’ve had a Jimmy Phillips for 30 years

For the most part, Parky has conducted himself well as an ambassador for the club and has perhaps gone a long way towards returning an air of respectability to the club and a bit of leeway with the EFL despite the shit Anderson's tenure has put us all through. I only wish that he had realised that his "style" of football requires far better players than we've had to work with to be successful on the pitch, and that he'd tried something different more often. That said, big respect for sticking with us through thin and thin.

34 minutes ago, Hoppy510 said:

I only wish that he had realised that his "style" of football requires far better players than we've had to work with to be successful on the pitch

I think he probably did.

Short of blindfolding the officials and sending the team out with baseball bats and shovels, I’m not sure what the answer was.

41 minutes ago, Hoppy510 said:

For the most part, Parky has conducted himself well as an ambassador for the club and has perhaps gone a long way towards returning an air of respectability to the club and a bit of leeway with the EFL despite the shit Anderson's tenure has put us all through. I only wish that he had realised that his "style" of football requires far better players than we've had to work with to be successful on the pitch, and that he'd tried something different more often. That said, big respect for sticking with us through thin and thin.

Our of interest what style of football doesn't require better players than we've had to work with?

4 minutes ago, bwfcfan5 said:

Our of interest what style of football doesn't require better players than we've had to work with?

Fair point. I was just saying that setting the stall out to defend for long periods needs the likes of Maldini, Cannavaro, Nesta and Baresi at the back, Viera in the middle and either SKD or Linford Christie up top.

12 minutes ago, enzo gambaro said:

I think he probably did.

Short of blindfolding the officials and sending the team out with baseball bats and shovels, I’m not sure what the answer was.

I don't know the answer either but I do know if you keep doing what you've always done, you'll get what you always got.

4 minutes ago, Hoppy510 said:

Fair point. I was just saying that setting the stall out to defend for long periods needs the likes of Maldini, Cannavaro, Nesta and Baresi at the back, Viera in the middle and either SKD or Linford Christie up top.

I don't know the answer either but I do know if you keep doing what you've always done, you'll get what you always got.

I personally think its about quality of players and motivation. Style - is pretty irrelevant. Sure there are times the way you setup can restrict individuals but few managers pick systems that don't suit the majority. 

When Parky had everyone up for it and the club wasn't a total shitshow his style broadly worked. When he lost key components or the morale was on the floor it didn't.

I can look at it equivalent to Sammy Lee - Megson - Coyle. Lee's lack of organisation produced disastrous results, Megson came in and created some structure that worked for a while. Then as people became frustrated with "negative football" - Coyle came gave the players some freedom, which initially they enjoyed and produced good results, but when things went wrong the positive style of football became a burden and results were worse than ever. 

I don't think the style is that significant. Sometimes a change gives you a lift before reverting to previous results. The key skills are motivation and man management for me. And ability to sign the right players. 

• Site Supporter

At the last vote on here, iirc correctly, 95% of folk wanted him gone. 

Top fella, shit hand etc no doubt.

Worst football I can recall, and constant references to other team's superior spending power; should have gone ages ago.

Good luck in the future.

The king is dead, long live the king.

Thank god he's gone. Terrible tactics. Playing not to lose rather than going for the win. In any sport, it's the brave and fearless that end up as winners. Just because he's hung around doesn't make him a saint. Maybe he's a nice guy but unfortunately in sport there's no room for nice. Wish him well though in his next job unless it's against us. 

54 minutes ago, bwfcfan5 said:

I personally think its about quality of players and motivation. Style - is pretty irrelevant. Sure there are times the way you setup can restrict individuals but few managers pick systems that don't suit the majority. 

When Parky had everyone up for it and the club wasn't a total shitshow his style broadly worked. When he lost key components or the morale was on the floor it didn't.

I can look at it equivalent to Sammy Lee - Megson - Coyle. Lee's lack of organisation produced disastrous results, Megson came in and created some structure that worked for a while. Then as people became frustrated with "negative football" - Coyle came gave the players some freedom, which initially they enjoyed and produced good results, but when things went wrong the positive style of football became a burden and results were worse than ever. 

I don't think the style is that significant. Sometimes a change gives you a lift before reverting to previous results. The key skills are motivation and man management for me. And ability to sign the right players. 

I think you either recruit to play a certain style or adapt the style to the players available, but I reckon Parky was too dogmatic in his approach. Guess I'll never know if he actually got the best out of our lot or not seeing he was watching them all week in training and I wasn't.

1 hour ago, Hoppy510 said:

John Regis a far better bet than Linford Christie