Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Next manager

Spider

Young, English manager. Took Notts County to the play offs in the league we are potentially going to be in next year. 42% win ratio from his 99 games in charge, and he’s available!

Forgetting his links to the club then he’d probably be on a list of potential candidates based on the above, but probably not favourite.

There’s no doubt that the feel good factor of having Nobby leading the new era of the club is a big attraction though. I’m not usually one for sentiment being taken into consideration but I can’t help it at the moment. His career so far means it’s not just because he’s an ex player from a golden period for the club, but to be honest I just want some positivity around the club and standing in the away end singing hey Kevin Nolan as our new team (with some of the youngsters scattered around) sounds ideal. Yes it might go tits up, but it also could with Keith Hill, Dowie, or any other name that will be thrown into the hat. He’d help get the fans back, he’d be afforded more time than most by the fans to get it right and seeing the news that he’s got the job would put a smile on my face for the first time since West Brom away in the first game of last season!

30 minutes ago, Eddie said:

any other name that will be thrown into the hat

The last few times we've had a vacancy there've been plenty names thrown into the hat. It's an outmoded method and it simply hasn't worked.

Maybe we should try a more structured method - seek applications and maybe apply an interview process.

Alternatively, give Parkie's bingo machine a whirl. Has to be better. Who the fcuk even wears hats these days.

35 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Young, English manager. Took Notts County to the play offs in the league we are potentially going to be in next year. 42% win ratio from his 99 games in charge, and he’s available!

Forgetting his links to the club then he’d probably be on a list of potential candidates based on the above, but probably not favourite.

There’s no doubt that the feel good factor of having Nobby leading the new era of the club is a big attraction though. I’m not usually one for sentiment being taken into consideration but I can’t help it at the moment. His career so far means it’s not just because he’s an ex player from a golden period for the club, but to be honest I just want some positivity around the club and standing in the away end singing hey Kevin Nolan as our new team (with some of the youngsters scattered around) sounds ideal. Yes it might go tits up, but it also could with Keith Hill, Dowie, or any other name that will be thrown into the hat. He’d help get the fans back, he’d be afforded more time than most by the fans to get it right and seeing the news that he’s got the job would put a smile on my face for the first time since West Brom away in the first game of last season!

As far as I can tell, he's had one decent season. But so have many managers.

Perhaps I'm just not very sentimental?

27 minutes ago, Lt. Aldo Raine said:

As far as I can tell, he's had one decent season. But so have many managers.

Perhaps I'm just not very sentimental?

I wasn’t suggesting anything otherwise. To be fair to him he’s only really had one full season, so that’s 100% success rate.

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, ErnestTurnip said:

Did he also not get sacked after 10 games without a win and hasn't managed since?

Sheffield utd lost a few at the start of the season we both went up. They stuck with their manager.

Notts county didn't and look where they are now.

Always different ways of looking at things obviously, but Eddie makes a good point.

We're hardly going to get a guy with oodles of experience and success, so may as well go for someone with a modicum of success, who would raise spirits, and only add to the sentiment of fans which has been entirely positive towards the team.