Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Next manager

Spider

14 minutes ago, Hoppy510 said:

Hopefully that's not rhyming slang.

Dean Holden would be my choice too but it all depends on whether he's ready for a move back. If he's up for it he's probably been around enough now to do a decent job.

Fortunately not, and yeah, it'd all depend on whether he fancies the step up too. Even though it could end up being a write off season, I don't think anyone wants to see another Sammy Lee type come in. 

Just think out of the names mentioned, the set up he's been involved in looks best overall, and you'd hope he's been learning from that.

If it’s Nolan would be better if he may be had an experienced number 2 with him some old head might work well . There was talk of a director of football role being made when FV first came on the scene think it was warburton now at QPR mentioned 

Edited by Farnywhite
Spelling

1 hour ago, Farnywhite said:

If it’s Nolan would be better if he may be had an experienced number 2 with him some old head might work well . There was talk of a director of football role being made when FV first came on the scene think it was warburton now at QPR mentioned 

Who did he have at orient and Notts county?

• Site Supporter
4 minutes ago, Burndens Bogs said:

We've only had about 4 really decent managers  in nearly 50 years imo.

Armfield

Greaves

Rioch

Allardyce

Maybe sling Toddy into the mix.

Maybe I'm being too sentimental, but I think Parky deserves an honorary mention in that list, even if it's just for his dedication and professionalism under the worst possible circumstances. 

Edited by Cheese

3 hours ago, bwfcfan5 said:

Isn't it the perfect time? We're going down so a year to build a team for next season and find your feet.

I'd argue its the perfect time for a younger manager - no pressure, no expectancy and a group of fans who are united again and not looking to criticize.

Agree 👍

4 minutes ago, Cheese said:

Maybe I'm being too sentimental, but I think Parky deserves an honorary mention in that list, even if it's just for his dedication and professionalism under the worst possible circumstances. 

Maybe a honorary mention for Phil Neal?, he did help rebuild the team, brought some good players in and got us out the 4th division. 

• Site Supporter
7 minutes ago, Burndens Bogs said:

Really decent bloke yes, but a really decent manager?

We'll never know what he could have done in better circumstances. He was basically working with his hands tied behind his back for most of his time here. The fact he stuck with it for so long elevates him in my opinion. As I said, I'm probably being too sentimental. It's been an emotional few days.

7 minutes ago, Cheese said:

We'll never know what he could have done in better circumstances. He was basically working with his hands tied behind his back for most of his time here. The fact he stuck with it for so long elevates him in my opinion. As I said, I'm probably being too sentimental. It's been an emotional few days.

True. Even  Rioch and Allardyce would have struggled under Sweatys ownership.

3 hours ago, Belgrade Wander said:

I love Nolan, but I'd go with Keith Hill this time, he's got a lot of experience at this level

You can't really go with a young, unproven manager when you've got no squad and -11 pts

Of course you can. Why you think a proven manager would doo any better with no money? We got fuck all to lose any up and coming will be ok with me.

23 minutes ago, Burndens Bogs said:

We've only had about 4 really decent managers  in nearly 50 years imo.

Armfield

Greaves

Rioch

Allardyce

Maybe sling Toddy into the mix.

Yes, I think you’re right with that list, but what order would you put them?

1, Sam - he achieved success at the highest level.

2, Rioch - 3 fantastic years, brilliant football, such a shame he didn’t stay and carry it on in the prem.

3, Greaves - superb football at div 2 level but struggled in div 1.

4, Todd - justified inclusion for the ‘record’ season alone & superb football.

5, Armfield - good football but never managed us above div 3.

2 minutes ago, Ros Coe said:

2, Rioch - 3 fantastic years, brilliant football, such a shame he didn’t stay and carry it on in the prem.

5, Armfield - good football but never managed us above div 3. Didn't he have a season?

3 minutes ago, Ros Coe said:

5, Armfield - good football but never managed us above div 3.

Yeh i'd go along with that. I just put them in chronological order.