Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Next manager

Spider

Dean Holden for me as think he’s got the most potential out of all the ones we could maybe attract. 

‘Other than that I don’t want a steady hand as we’ve been there and done that I would rather take a punt on Nolan or someone. 

I think our pot will be limited and players signed with no input from them also 

Not sure why Holden would get the nod over Nolan, especially given Bristol would probably be due some compensation. Seems a bit of a hipsters choice.

Holden won two out of 10 in his short spell at Oldham. Nolan's won 40-odd out of 100. Holden will have picked up good experience from Lee Johnson I'm sure, but Nolan spent the better part of a decade as captain for the best manager we've ever had.

Add in more recent League 1/2 experience, being massively popular with the fans, well known and respected by most modern players and having a natural link to the current squad through Gary O'Neill and it's a no brainer for me.

6 minutes ago, Tombwfc said:

Not sure why Holden would get the nod over Nolan, especially given Bristol would probably be due some compensation. Seems a bit of a hipsters choice.

Holden won two out of 10 in his short spell at Oldham. Nolan's won 40-odd out of 100. Holden will have picked up good experience from Lee Johnson I'm sure, but Nolan spent the better part of a decade as captain for the best manager we've ever had.

Add in more recent League 1/2 experience, being massively popular with the fans, well known and respected by most modern players and having a natural link to the current squad through Gary O'Neill and it's a no brainer for me.

3 minutes ago, Mr Grey said:

Sold 

And sold again. 

1 hour ago, Ros Coe said:

Yes, I think you’re right with that list, but what order would you put them?

1, Sam - he achieved success at the highest level.

2, Rioch - 3 fantastic years, brilliant football, such a shame he didn’t stay and carry it on in the prem.

3, Greaves - superb football at div 2 level but struggled in div 1.

4, Todd - justified inclusion for the ‘record’ season alone & superb football.

5, Armfield - good football but never managed us above div 3.

I know this aint going to be popular but i would stick coyle and megson in there even though they got very unpopular to the end of their reign.

Coyle got us the closest to what sam did in the prem and a cup semi.

Megson turned sammy lees mess about getting us away from relegation.

The next season he progress us up the table but his last season slagged the fans off and so had to go.

• Site Supporter
6 minutes ago, Tungsten3 said:

I know this aint going to be popular but i would stick coyle and megson in there even though they got very unpopular to the end of their reign.

The next season he progress us up the table but his last season slagged the fans off and so had to go.

Don your tin hat mate. 

37 minutes ago, Tungsten3 said:

🤣 Either pass the crack pipe or put your fishing rod away ha ha. Fuckin Coyle & Megson among our  best?? 🤣🤣

41 minutes ago, Tungsten3 said:

Get what you are saying there.

Dougie's in the same bracket for me, went on that great run, brought in some decent signings, really treated us with Moritz and knew exactly how to control a game without the ball.

History will be kinder to Dougie than we were at the time. 

Edited by RoadRunnerFan

RIoch and Todd rebuilt our club , both financially and on the pitch with limited resources and  had an excellent win rate. They built the platform for Allardyce who came in when there was (too much) money slushing around so to some extent Sam was lucky enough to be in the right place at the right time. From our position now I'd put my house on the mighty Bruce if he was an option as Foweraker aside, he's the best manager we've ever had. Seeing as he isn't - Holden looks in the strongest position with his work at Bristol City being current and built on a breadth of experience on and off the training ground. He was a shit player for us though :)

• Moderators

Alladyce wasn't lucky, he worked really very hard at it and was meticulous to the point of obsession

Rioch jumped ship at the first opportunity and didn't see the job through 

Both great but it's not even close

2 minutes ago, Hoppy510 said:

Holden looks in the strongest position with his work at Bristol City being current and built on a breadth of experience on and off the training ground. He was a shit player for us though :)

Was he? I was only 11 when he broke his leg, but seem to recall he looked a star in the making up until then?

• Moderators
9 minutes ago, BWFC_LOVE said:

Was he? I was only 11 when he broke his leg, but seem to recall he looked a star in the making up until then?

Aye, pre leg break he showed a lot of promise

Local full backs are never appreciated though

12 minutes ago, Hoppy510 said:

RIoch and Todd rebuilt our club , both financially and on the pitch with limited resources and  had an excellent win rate. They built the platform for Allardyce who came in when there was (too much) money slushing around so to some extent Sam was lucky enough to be in the right place at the right time. From our position now I'd put my house on the mighty Bruce if he was an option as Foweraker aside, he's the best manager we've ever had. Seeing as he isn't - Holden looks in the strongest position with his work at Bristol City being current and built on a breadth of experience on and off the training ground. He was a shit player for us though :)

We were skint when Sam came in! He wheeled & dealed in the transfer market and worked wonders to get us up and then keep us up - he earned the right to spend the amount he did on his back room team because his results justified the expenditure.

it all went tits up after he left and he took his back room team with him. We never recovered..

It’s got to be a disciplinarian,  they got to be part of the set up, someone the kids respect and can move the rascals forward.  There’s no buying players for two years so we need to stabilise, we need maturity, communication and someone who ticks all the internal boxes.  Jimmy Phillips or David Lee for me