Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Next manager

Spider

10 minutes ago, DirtySanchez said:

Aye

Story I heard was Browny said to him "you were only in the team because of your dad" or words to that effect

Followed him into the toilets and smashed his jaw on the sink

Suntans 2nd moment of glory

popping Stan collymore

still makes me smile 😃 

55 minutes ago, Ani said:

2 days after the greatest escape we are squabbling about shit and opinions. 

Feels good to be back. 

So true. For ages I wouldn’t even bother discussing anything football related because it all seemed pointless in the grand scheme of things. Now I’m googling Nolan’s managerial win record and writing his CV for him, whilst hearing people make some strange calls on previous managers and waiting in anticipation for the inevitable bites (still think Jules missed the reference to Megson being on a list of our all time best managers 😂).

Like you say, feels good to be back.

P.s. Who’s the ref on Saturday? Bet he’s a cunt

35 minutes ago, RONNIE PHILLIPS said:

It was actually in the toilets on a night out... If my memory is correct 😊

Team bonding (ha,ha) weekend at Mottram Hall, CT was still manager. Moved on to Charlton where he twatted team mate Dean Kiely.

Edited by Mannyroader

3 hours ago, Eddie said:

So true. For ages I wouldn’t even bother discussing anything football related because it all seemed pointless in the grand scheme of things. Now I’m googling Nolan’s managerial win record and writing his CV for him, whilst hearing people make some strange calls on previous managers and waiting in anticipation for the inevitable bites (still think Jules missed the reference to Megson being on a list of our all time best managers 😂).

Like you say, feels good to be back.

P.s. Who’s the ref on Saturday? Bet he’s a cunt

Mine about Dougie was a wind up.

I'm still not sure if the original post was serious or not! 

Edited by RoadRunnerFan

Wouldn't be against Sam Ricketts getting the job. Much more experienced than Nolan whilst still being young enough to identify with what'll be a young squad. 

Would mean compo from wherever he is now but has had a good start to his managerial career. 

• Site Supporter
13 minutes ago, Kane57 said:

Wouldn't be against Sam Ricketts getting the job. Much more experienced than Nolan whilst still being young enough to identify with what'll be a young squad. 

Would mean compo from wherever he is now but has had a good start to his managerial career. 

Things we can’t pay for:

No. 153: Compo

Just had a thought, give Keith Hill the job until the end of the season and he gets a nice Brucie bonus if he keeps us up. We review his contract at the end of the season. Just think he's more of a safe pair of hands for us at this moment in time.

Just now, Blondi said:

Just had a thought, give Keith Hill the job until the end of the season and he gets a nice Brucie bonus if he keeps us up. We review his contract at the end of the season. Just think he's more of a safe pair of hands for us at this moment in time.

I wouldn't be disappointed with Keith Hill

Safest bet 

• Site Supporter
1 minute ago, Blondi said:

Isn't that why someone like Nolan would be worth a shot?

It's going to be a tough job to avoid the drop, so he'd get almost a free hit for the season. Maybe a chance to develop himself and his squad.

No great issue with Hill, but some of the youngsters will have seen Nolan et so play and may take some inspiration.

Just now, Tonge moor green jacket said:

It's going to be a tough job to avoid the drop, so he'd get almost a free hit for the season. Maybe a chance to develop himself and his squad.

No great issue with Hill, but some of the youngsters will have seen Nolan et so play and may take some inspiration.

TBH, I wouldn't have a problem with Nolan, love the guy, I just feel Hill would have a better chance of keeping us up due to his experience. Hill is also great at developing youngsters.

Maybe FV have somebody else lined up anyway?

5 hours ago, Mr Grey said:

Anyone who slates Allardyce's managerial record at Bolton or even tries to question his record needs to give their head a wobble. 

And 11 pages onto this thread and not one person has suggested a return for Big Sam.  Just curious why not, he's available isnt he? 

2 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Only role I could see for Sam would be a temporary one, to help get things up and running, and mentor a younger fella.

Which would be perfect.  Allardyce and Nolan joint managers, Sam withdrawing after a bit

• Site Supporter
1 minute ago, Mr Grey said:

Probably out of our duristiction at the moment. And anyway he would bring to much media attention, we need to rebuild slowly, I doubt big Sam has the time or patience, which is what we need right now, so he's not the right man this moment in time, for me anyway.

He was fantastic for us & that will never be forgotten but I don't think I'd want him back now in any capacity & I doubt he's the type of character FV would be looking for. 

36 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

The thing is that Hill is arguably coming to the end of his career. If we had a full squad and a reasonable chance of survival experience makes sense.

Id have no problem with Hill or anyone Sharon picks really. But I’d like a bold choice. Nolan would get fans onside in what is likely to be a relegation battle. 

I'd like to see FV invite Sam in for the day and tap his brains, but talk of him returning to the managers role here is far fetched. FV can't afford him and the level will be so far below where he's reached that he's arguably not a good fit in any case. 

I'm worried Nolan lacks the experience for what's going to be a uniquely challenging role. Also not sure if his motivational skills will be suited to the twin tasks of pushing the established players (if and when they appear) with keeping the youngsters going. I can see him being far better with the former than the latter, although obviously that's only a perception from my seat and may be doing him a disservice.

In general though I think appointments are best made without sentiment.