Wanderers Ways - passion not fashion

Next manager

• Replies 441
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Before we got Rioch I wanted Dario Gradi. I think we should go for him, as we need some better PR.

Lived in Rochdale for yonks and saw a lot of Dale over the years, especially in that spell that led to first promotion from L2, as has been said, never had any money but oversaw great work in the acad

Just heard from The Bantry Club on Derby St, that a well known local sauce company have been successful in their bid, with the proviso that the new manager plays five up front. It’s a clear case

• Site Supporter
1 minute ago, Blondi said:

Just had a thought, give Keith Hill the job until the end of the season and he gets a nice Brucie bonus if he keeps us up. We review his contract at the end of the season. Just think he's more of a safe pair of hands for us at this moment in time.

Isn't that why someone like Nolan would be worth a shot?

It's going to be a tough job to avoid the drop, so he'd get almost a free hit for the season. Maybe a chance to develop himself and his squad.

No great issue with Hill, but some of the youngsters will have seen Nolan et so play and may take some inspiration.

Just now, Tonge moor green jacket said:

It's going to be a tough job to avoid the drop, so he'd get almost a free hit for the season. Maybe a chance to develop himself and his squad.

No great issue with Hill, but some of the youngsters will have seen Nolan et so play and may take some inspiration.

TBH, I wouldn't have a problem with Nolan, love the guy, I just feel Hill would have a better chance of keeping us up due to his experience. Hill is also great at developing youngsters.

Maybe FV have somebody else lined up anyway?

5 hours ago, Mr Grey said:

Anyone who slates Allardyce's managerial record at Bolton or even tries to question his record needs to give their head a wobble. 

And 11 pages onto this thread and not one person has suggested a return for Big Sam.  Just curious why not, he's available isnt he? 

2 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Only role I could see for Sam would be a temporary one, to help get things up and running, and mentor a younger fella.

Which would be perfect.  Allardyce and Nolan joint managers, Sam withdrawing after a bit

28 minutes ago, chrisw99 said:

And 11 pages onto this thread and not one person has suggested a return for Big Sam.  Just curious why not, he's available isnt he? 

Probably out of our duristiction at the moment. And anyway he would bring to much media attention, we need to rebuild slowly, I doubt big Sam has the time or patience, which is what we need right now, so he's not the right man at this moment in time, for me anyway.

Edited by Mr Grey
1 minute ago, Mr Grey said:

Probably out of our duristiction at the moment. And anyway he would bring to much media attention, we need to rebuild slowly, I doubt big Sam has the time or patience, which is what we need right now, so he's not the right man this moment in time, for me anyway.

He was fantastic for us & that will never be forgotten but I don't think I'd want him back now in any capacity & I doubt he's the type of character FV would be looking for. 

36 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

The thing is that Hill is arguably coming to the end of his career. If we had a full squad and a reasonable chance of survival experience makes sense.

Id have no problem with Hill or anyone Sharon picks really. But I’d like a bold choice. Nolan would get fans onside in what is likely to be a relegation battle. 

1 minute ago, Burndens Bogs said:

Big Sams all pipe and slippers now, he's made his money, football has moved on since 2003.

Move on, nothing to see here.

His name was always gonna pop up with some fans, I honestly think we all know that nothing will happen. Your right, let's move on.

I'd like to see FV invite Sam in for the day and tap his brains, but talk of him returning to the managers role here is far fetched. FV can't afford him and the level will be so far below where he's reached that he's arguably not a good fit in any case. 

I'm worried Nolan lacks the experience for what's going to be a uniquely challenging role. Also not sure if his motivational skills will be suited to the twin tasks of pushing the established players (if and when they appear) with keeping the youngsters going. I can see him being far better with the former than the latter, although obviously that's only a perception from my seat and may be doing him a disservice.

In general though I think appointments are best made without sentiment. 

24 minutes ago, bwfcfan5 said:

The thing is that Hill is arguably coming to the end of his career. If we had a full squad and a reasonable chance of survival experience makes sense.

Id have no problem with Hill or anyone Sharon picks really. But I’d like a bold choice. Nolan would get fans onside in what is likely to be a relegation battle. 

Hill coming to the end of his career? He's only 50, that isn't coming to the end of a career for a football manager these days.

Edited by Blondi

Serious question about some of the hype that has always gone around Hill.

Gets credit for developing youngsters, Beech has been working with their youth for 12 years or summat before becoming assistant so is he not more responsible for that? Same people blowing that trumpet wouldnt give PP an ounce of credit for developing any of our recent youth.

• Site Supporter
Just now, Burndens Bogs said:

Bit worried that Nobby will be moulded into the Big Sam style of football - set pieces/percentage football/bully boy tactics. I just want to see us play some football.

We'll have four players surrounding the keeper on free kicks

2 minutes ago, Burndens Bogs said:

Bit worried that Nobby will be moulded into the Big Sam style of football - set pieces/percentage football/bully boy tactics. I just want to see us play some football.

That would probably get us out of league 1 but we'd need to buck up once promoted! 

• Site Supporter
4 minutes ago, Burndens Bogs said:

Wasn't always the best, but we developed gradually, and irrespective of style it got results.

What we've had recently is neither.

Important thing I suppose is to get the manager in asap and let him do the signings.

7 minutes ago, Burndens Bogs said:

If he gets Big Sam results we'll be averaging 20,000 in a few seasons.

4 minutes ago, Burndens Bogs said:

How about league 2?

When Dougie Freedman came in, with a couple of January loans and no money, we went from bottom half to edge of play offs, unbeaten at home from then. 

And he was shit. 

Decent manager and a couple of signings, we'll easily get out of L1 relegation zone...

6 minutes ago, chrisw99 said:

When Dougie Freedman came in, with a couple of January loans and no money, we went from bottom half to edge of play offs, unbeaten at home from then. 

And he was shit. 

Decent manager and a couple of signings, we'll easily get out of L1 relegation zone...

Looking forward to the ride,lets see where it takes us.

The away days are going to be a lot of fun whatever division we're in.