Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Next manager

Spider

32 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

Another manager we should take a look at is Mike Flynn, sadly he’s in a job so doubt we could get him but think he’s got a big future. 

That's not a bad shout I remember they had some decent results in the FA cup a few years back, beating Leeds and then drawing at home to Spurs.

3 hours ago, gonzo said:

Where in Christ’s name have you got these figures from? 

Bet you’ve got a ten inch nob as well 

a) t'internet - figures are in EUROS not £'s - my apologies. So e.g. Jussi was signed for just 150 thousand euros - genius!

b) I wish

c) Anelka cost us 12m euros from Fenerbahce and we sold him for 18m euros

Don't you honestly think that our recruitment and signings during those years were brilliant? Or do you think that being pernickety about the currency invalidates the point?

• Site Supporter
2 minutes ago, Hoppy510 said:

a) t'internet - figures are in EUROS not £'s - my apologies. So e.g. Jussi was signed for just 150 thousand euros - genius!

b) I wish

c) Anelka cost us 12m euros from Fenerbahce and we sold him for 18m euros

Don't you honestly think that our recruitment and signings during those years were brilliant? Or do you think that being pernickety about the currency invalidates the point?

No, but your perception of Allardyces reign does.. 

13 minutes ago, RONNIE PHILLIPS said:

No, but your perception of Allardyces reign does.. 

For the third time I'll repeat that I thought Sam did well but am merely pointing out that he came in at the right time, in the right circumstances and with the right money at his disposal to make his particular skillset work.  What he didn't do was pluck young players from obscurity who went on to do great things for us, although he dabbled a lot and he didn't have to manage on a less then ideal budget as his departure proved. His skillset was different from  RIoch or Todd as he excelled in attracting high salary disaffected world class players and introducing American ideas e.g Prozone to the English game.

We can't do that now and given that this conversation is about our next manager I am trying to make the point that we need someone more capable of working on a lower budget and finding obscure talent. Like Rioch.

Edited by Hoppy510

38 minutes ago, Hoppy510 said:

For the third time I'll repeat that I thought Sam did well but am merely pointing out that he came in at the right time, in the right circumstances and with the right money at his disposal to make his particular skillset work.  What he didn't do was pluck young players from obscurity who went on to do great things for us, although he dabbled a lot and he didn't have to manage on a less then ideal budget as his departure proved. His skillset was different from  RIoch or Todd as he excelled in attracting high salary disaffected world class players and introducing American ideas e.g Prozone to the English game.

We can't do that now and given that this conversation is about our next manager I am trying to make the point that we need someone more capable of working on a lower budget and finding obscure talent. Like Rioch.

You seem to have a complete blank as to the time Sam came in. We were about to go pop. Todd resigned with us near the foot of the championship and his best players being sold to cover the debts.

Allardyce did have a good side. Who were then all sold over the summer and he had to rebuild on absolutely nothing. 

Do you remember that or not? He then took us up and kept us in the top flight where his only summer signing was Pedersen for £800K. 

• Site Supporter
35 minutes ago, Hoppy510 said:

He took us from near the bottom of the Championship to winning the play offs, bringing in journeyman pros & picking up a quality young striker from Walsall. The world class players came further down the line. Had he not performed so creditably to get us promoted in the first place the second bit would never have occurred. 

You seem to have omitted that bit from your memory bank so you can repeat ad infinitum but you will 

• Site Supporter

Unpopular opinion, but I’d genuinely liked to have seen what Parky could have done with all that weight lifted from his shoulders.

Tactics were off but we know he had little to play with.

A calming but experienced presence, with all that baggage removed and he may have done a job.

But we’ll never know and I’m just as happy to see new blood.

Edited by Spider

12 hours ago, Hoppy510 said:

Alan Thompson bought for £375k sold to Villa for 7.2m

Sasa Curcic bought for 2.5m and sold to Villa for 6m

Alan Stubbs free sold to Celtic for 4.75m

McAteer free sold to Liverpool for 6.25m - although there was a rumour that we gave Marine a set of shirts and a dozen footballs :)

John McGinlay £150k sold to Bradford for £730k

Gudni Bergsson bought for £95k and played for us until he retired a legend

Jussi Jaaskelainen bought for £150k but given away many years later

Nathan Blake bought for £1.68m sold to Blackburn for 5.95m - where he was crap :)

Pretty big money for us back in the 90s.

There are others and we made small losses and small gains with only one big loss - Deano - who for some reason we paid Wimbledon 4.8m for, but overall it was phenomenal scouting and trading during the Rioch and Todd years  that put the financial foundations back in place.

And there was the gate money for those phenomenal cup runs and Premiership/TV money for the first time.

All this before Eddie Davies joined the board in 1999 - same time as Sam arrived.

Not saying Sam didn't do well, but he sure didn't do it from scratch and he had a helluva lot more financial help than Rioch and Todd.

i call bullshit on a lot of your fees rerceived

1 hour ago, RONNIE PHILLIPS said:

He took us from near the bottom of the Championship to winning the play offs, bringing in journeyman pros & picking up a quality young striker from Walsall. The world class players came further down the line. Had he not performed so creditably to get us promoted in the first place the second bit would never have occurred. 

You seem to have omitted that bit from your memory bank so you can repeat ad infinitum but you will 

How can you suggest he practically saved us? He took over the club in October so the season had hardly started.

Journeyman pros? He didn't need to do much at all given that he inherited Eidur, Jussi, Mark Feeeesh, Claus Jensen, Deano, Bo Hansen, Andy Todd, Gudni, Michael Johansen and Bibi Gardner - and the rest of the squad were good players (Bob Taylor, Mike Whitlow, Branagan, Cox, Elliott, Paul Warhurst to name a few). Toddy resigned because Per Frandsen was sold to fund the new stadium but Sam hardly inherited a talentless squad - it was packed with internationals.

Or have you omitted that from your memory bank?

TBF he did have to get rid of Andy Todd after he decked Suntan and broke his jaw in training :)

1 hour ago, Spider said:

Unpopular opinion, but I’d genuinely liked to have seen what Parky could have done with all that weight lifted from his shoulders.

Tactics were off but we know he had little to play with.

A calming but experienced presence, with all that baggage removed and he may have done a job.

But we’ll never know and I’m just as happy to see new blood.

Not completely unpopular as that was how myself and those I go the match with felt also. 

I'd come round to realising that for a large enough section of the support there was no way back, they wanted rid of Parky and were never going to change their minds.

Given the toll that managing this madhouse would've taken and also perhaps FV's desire to start a new era off with a new man at the helm, it was probably for the best that he went when he did. 

Now he's gone and hopefully everyone can get round whoever comes in and there's a feeling of a fresh start, a clean slate and a manager full of energy and ideas with sufficient time and understanding from the support to build something that's sustainable in the medium and long term. 

• Site Supporter
43 minutes ago, Hoppy510 said:

How can you suggest he practically saved us? He took over the club in October so the season had hardly started.

Journeyman pros? He didn't need to do much at all given that he inherited Eidur, Jussi, Mark Feeeesh, Claus Jensen, Deano, Bo Hansen, Andy Todd, Gudni, Michael Johansen and Bibi Gardner - and the rest of the squad were good players (Bob Taylor, Mike Whitlow, Branagan, Cox, Elliott, Paul Warhurst to name a few). Toddy resigned because Per Frandsen was sold to fund the new stadium but Sam hardly inherited a talentless squad - it was packed with internationals.

Or have you omitted that from your memory bank?

TBF he did have to get rid of Andy Todd after he decked Suntan and broke his jaw in training :)

It was actually in the toilets on a night out... If my memory is correct 😊

4 minutes ago, RONNIE PHILLIPS said:

It was actually in the toilets on a night out... If my memory is correct 😊

Aye

Story I heard was Browny said to him "you were only in the team because of your dad" or words to that effect

Followed him into the toilets and smashed his jaw on the sink