Jump to content
Wanderers Ways - passion not fashion

Next manager


Recommended Posts

5 hours ago, Hoppy510 said:

Alan Thompson bought for £375k sold to Villa for 7.2m

Sasa Curcic bought for 2.5m and sold to Villa for 6m

Alan Stubbs free sold to Celtic for 4.75m

McAteer free sold to Liverpool for 6.25m - although there was a rumour that we gave Marine a set of shirts and a dozen footballs :)

John McGinlay £150k sold to Bradford for £730k

Gudni Bergsson bought for £95k and played for us until he retired a legend

Jussi Jaaskelainen bought for £150k but given away many years later

Nathan Blake bought for £1.68m sold to Blackburn for 5.95m - where he was crap :)

Pretty big money for us back in the 90s.

There are others and we made small losses and small gains with only one big loss - Deano - who for some reason we paid Wimbledon 4.8m

Shame we didn't get anything like those fees.

Nor did we pay £4.8m for Holdsworth.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 441
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Before we got Rioch I wanted Dario Gradi. I think we should go for him, as we need some better PR.

Lived in Rochdale for yonks and saw a lot of Dale over the years, especially in that spell that led to first promotion from L2, as has been said, never had any money but oversaw great work in the acad

Just heard from The Bantry Club on Derby St, that a well known local sauce company have been successful in their bid, with the proviso that the new manager plays five up front. It’s a clear case

6 hours ago, Hoppy510 said:

Alan Thompson bought for £375k sold to Villa for 7.2m

Sasa Curcic bought for 2.5m and sold to Villa for 6m

Alan Stubbs free sold to Celtic for 4.75m

McAteer free sold to Liverpool for 6.25m - although there was a rumour that we gave Marine a set of shirts and a dozen footballs :)

John McGinlay £150k sold to Bradford for £730k

Gudni Bergsson bought for £95k and played for us until he retired a legend

Jussi Jaaskelainen bought for £150k but given away many years later

Nathan Blake bought for £1.68m sold to Blackburn for 5.95m - where he was crap :)

Pretty big money for us back in the 90s.

There are others and we made small losses and small gains with only one big loss - Deano - who for some reason we paid Wimbledon 4.8m for, but overall it was phenomenal scouting and trading during the Rioch and Todd years  that put the financial foundations back in place.

And there was the gate money for those phenomenal cup runs and Premiership/TV money for the first time.

All this before Eddie Davies joined the board in 1999 - same time as Sam arrived.

Not saying Sam didn't do well, but he sure didn't do it from scratch and he had a helluva lot more financial help than Rioch and Todd.

Where in Christ’s name have you got these figures from? 

Bet you’ve got a ten inch nob as well 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Nobby for me... no brainer.

Would get it if Hill or Pearson get it given the experience, but Nobby has a 43% win record. Sacked prematurely at both clubs, who incidentally he had in or around the play offs, but then ended up being relegated from the league the season after he left.... some record that. 

Holden call is bonkers. Cannot believe people at saying get an assistant manager in with no experience over him to be honest...

Think it would be a bit of a PR coup as well for FV if they got Nobby in, especially if they could get him in with an experienced assistant, say Hill. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Hoppy510 said:

Alan Thompson bought for £375k sold to Villa for 7.2m

Sasa Curcic bought for 2.5m and sold to Villa for 6m

Alan Stubbs free sold to Celtic for 4.75m

McAteer free sold to Liverpool for 6.25m - although there was a rumour that we gave Marine a set of shirts and a dozen footballs :)

John McGinlay £150k sold to Bradford for £730k

Gudni Bergsson bought for £95k and played for us until he retired a legend

Jussi Jaaskelainen bought for £150k but given away many years later

Nathan Blake bought for £1.68m sold to Blackburn for 5.95m - where he was crap :)

Pretty big money for us back in the 90s.

There are others and we made small losses and small gains with only one big loss - Deano - who for some reason we paid Wimbledon 4.8m for, but overall it was phenomenal scouting and trading during the Rioch and Todd years  that put the financial foundations back in place.

And there was the gate money for those phenomenal cup runs and Premiership/TV money for the first time.

All this before Eddie Davies joined the board in 1999 - same time as Sam arrived.

Not saying Sam didn't do well, but he sure didn't do it from scratch and he had a helluva lot more financial help than Rioch and Todd.

When Sam arrived it was because Todd walked out over the players being sold. We were on brink of bankruptcy.

And football at that point was full of money. Rioch came just as money was flowing into the top end- the effects weren’t fully realised it was easier to build with little.

Allardyce picked up a club on brink of bankruptcy selling its best players got them to three semi finals lost them all and then lost his whole side and had a summer to rebuild with frees and a few hundred thousand for Ricketts. In an era where spending was increasing. The rest is history.

But it’s clear to me who the better manager was by a mile and their careers reflect that. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, bwfcfan5 said:

When Sam arrived it was because Todd walked out over the players being sold. We were on brink of bankruptcy.

And football at that point was full of money. Rioch came just as money was flowing into the top end- the effects weren’t fully realised it was easier to build with little.

Allardyce picked up a club on brink of bankruptcy selling its best players got them to three semi finals lost them all and then lost his whole side and had a summer to rebuild with frees and a few hundred thousand for Ricketts. In an era where spending was increasing. The rest is history.

But it’s clear to me who the better manager was by a mile and their careers reflect that. 

 

This ^

Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

Another manager we should take a look at is Mike Flynn, sadly he’s in a job so doubt we could get him but think he’s got a big future. 

That's not a bad shout I remember they had some decent results in the FA cup a few years back, beating Leeds and then drawing at home to Spurs.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, gonzo said:

Where in Christ’s name have you got these figures from? 

Bet you’ve got a ten inch nob as well 

a) t'internet - figures are in EUROS not £'s - my apologies. So e.g. Jussi was signed for just 150 thousand euros - genius!

b) I wish

c) Anelka cost us 12m euros from Fenerbahce and we sold him for 18m euros

Don't you honestly think that our recruitment and signings during those years were brilliant? Or do you think that being pernickety about the currency invalidates the point?

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Site Supporter
2 minutes ago, Hoppy510 said:

a) t'internet - figures are in EUROS not £'s - my apologies. So e.g. Jussi was signed for just 150 thousand euros - genius!

b) I wish

c) Anelka cost us 12m euros from Fenerbahce and we sold him for 18m euros

Don't you honestly think that our recruitment and signings during those years were brilliant? Or do you think that being pernickety about the currency invalidates the point?

No, but your perception of Allardyces reign does.. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, RONNIE PHILLIPS said:

No, but your perception of Allardyces reign does.. 

For the third time I'll repeat that I thought Sam did well but am merely pointing out that he came in at the right time, in the right circumstances and with the right money at his disposal to make his particular skillset work.  What he didn't do was pluck young players from obscurity who went on to do great things for us, although he dabbled a lot and he didn't have to manage on a less then ideal budget as his departure proved. His skillset was different from  RIoch or Todd as he excelled in attracting high salary disaffected world class players and introducing American ideas e.g Prozone to the English game.

We can't do that now and given that this conversation is about our next manager I am trying to make the point that we need someone more capable of working on a lower budget and finding obscure talent. Like Rioch.

Edited by Hoppy510
Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Hoppy510 said:

For the third time I'll repeat that I thought Sam did well but am merely pointing out that he came in at the right time, in the right circumstances and with the right money at his disposal to make his particular skillset work.  What he didn't do was pluck young players from obscurity who went on to do great things for us, although he dabbled a lot and he didn't have to manage on a less then ideal budget as his departure proved. His skillset was different from  RIoch or Todd as he excelled in attracting high salary disaffected world class players and introducing American ideas e.g Prozone to the English game.

We can't do that now and given that this conversation is about our next manager I am trying to make the point that we need someone more capable of working on a lower budget and finding obscure talent. Like Rioch.

You seem to have a complete blank as to the time Sam came in. We were about to go pop. Todd resigned with us near the foot of the championship and his best players being sold to cover the debts.

Allardyce did have a good side. Who were then all sold over the summer and he had to rebuild on absolutely nothing. 

Do you remember that or not? He then took us up and kept us in the top flight where his only summer signing was Pedersen for £800K. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Site Supporter
35 minutes ago, Hoppy510 said:

For the third time I'll repeat that I thought Sam did well but am merely pointing out that he came in at the right time, in the right circumstances and with the right money at his disposal to make his particular skillset work.  What he didn't do was pluck young players from obscurity who went on to do great things for us, although he dabbled a lot and he didn't have to manage on a less then ideal budget as his departure proved. His skillset was different from  RIoch or Todd as he excelled in attracting high salary disaffected world class players and introducing American ideas e.g Prozone to the English game.

We can't do that now and given that this conversation is about our next manager I am trying to make the point that we need someone more capable of working on a lower budget and finding obscure talent. Like Rioch.

He took us from near the bottom of the Championship to winning the play offs, bringing in journeyman pros & picking up a quality young striker from Walsall. The world class players came further down the line. Had he not performed so creditably to get us promoted in the first place the second bit would never have occurred. 

    You seem to have omitted that bit from your memory bank so you can repeat ad infinitum but you will 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, ErnestTurnip said:

Still think Gary Rowett for me, Hill will never get a team out of L1 while he's got a hole in his arse and so would be a short-term appointment with an eye on us going down. 

Gary "spunk millions" Rowett...

Behave!!

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Site Supporter

Unpopular opinion, but I’d genuinely liked to have seen what Parky could have done with all that weight lifted from his shoulders.

Tactics were off but we know he had little to play with.

A calming but experienced presence, with all that baggage removed and he may have done a job.

But we’ll never know and I’m just as happy to see new blood.

Edited by Spider
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Hoppy510 said:

Alan Thompson bought for £375k sold to Villa for 7.2m

Sasa Curcic bought for 2.5m and sold to Villa for 6m

Alan Stubbs free sold to Celtic for 4.75m

McAteer free sold to Liverpool for 6.25m - although there was a rumour that we gave Marine a set of shirts and a dozen footballs :)

John McGinlay £150k sold to Bradford for £730k

Gudni Bergsson bought for £95k and played for us until he retired a legend

Jussi Jaaskelainen bought for £150k but given away many years later

Nathan Blake bought for £1.68m sold to Blackburn for 5.95m - where he was crap :)

Pretty big money for us back in the 90s.

There are others and we made small losses and small gains with only one big loss - Deano - who for some reason we paid Wimbledon 4.8m for, but overall it was phenomenal scouting and trading during the Rioch and Todd years  that put the financial foundations back in place.

And there was the gate money for those phenomenal cup runs and Premiership/TV money for the first time.

All this before Eddie Davies joined the board in 1999 - same time as Sam arrived.

Not saying Sam didn't do well, but he sure didn't do it from scratch and he had a helluva lot more financial help than Rioch and Todd.

i call bullshit on a lot of your fees rerceived

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Announcements


×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.