Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Mental Health/Depression

MancWanderer

Like Tomski, I’ve thankfully never been in this position, but my daughter is going through it all now and actually has been for the past few years. She’s tried several different meds, all of which have been mentioned on here but none have helped her yet, and her sleep patterns are erratic as fuck.

From the outside, I find it very hard and not fully understanding what is happening.

• Site Supporter
1 minute ago, miamiwhite said:

Like Tomski, I’ve thankfully never been in this position, but my daughter is going through it all now and actually has been for the past few years. She’s tried several different meds, all of which have been mentioned on here but none have helped her yet, and her sleep patterns are erratic as fuck.

From the outside, I find it very hard and not fully understanding what is happening.

Genuine offer mate, if you think it might be of help, I'd be more than willing to chat with her. Or both of you together if it that's any better.

Not from an instructional point of view, but purely as someone who also suffered from massive sleep issues. Maximum was 86 hours without sleep and it's horrendous. She's not alone, and you can get through it.

Fwiw, I still suffer from occasional bouts of poor sleep, but techniques help to accept it.

15 minutes ago, Rudy’s Message said:

Oh I know mate and to be fair I didn’t realise how common mental health issues and treatment was until I got help myself. Genuinely just thought that’s just how I am and it’s life and part of being a wanderers fan 😁

BWFC would be the shortest medication ever😂

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, Not in Crawley said:

You're missing out - first two weeks on them was ace - also they really help the hangovers, no longer get the fear. I'm not sure if that's the point, but I'm not complaining. 

I was pretty much the same, felt an improvement after a couple of days & I'm far more chilled out when I've had a few beers when usually my demons start to peck my head. 

• Site Supporter
1 minute ago, RONNIE PHILLIPS said:

I was pretty much the same, felt an improvement after a couple of days & I'm far more chilled out when I've had a few beers when usually my demons start to peck my head. 

Reckon I'm lucky in one way: whenever I felt a bit down, the last thing I wanted was a drink.

I know for some, it's the opposite, and that's when it can become a bit dangerous.

As you say your demons pecking your head after a few.

• Site Supporter
Just now, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Reckon I'm lucky in one way: whenever I felt a bit down, the last thing I wanted was a drink.

I know for some, it's the opposite, and that's when it can become a bit dangerous.

As you say your demons pecking your head after a few.

It wasnt a constant problem, just I was more prone after a few beers. I've had a lot of pressure to cope with these last few years & had to stay strong for others even though I was falling apart inside. Sertraline has helped immensely & the fact that I now seem to stay happy & jovial after a decent sesh is a pleasant bonus 😊

36 minutes ago, RONNIE PHILLIPS said:

It wasnt a constant problem, just I was more prone after a few beers. I've had a lot of pressure to cope with these last few years & had to stay strong for others even though I was falling apart inside. Sertraline has helped immensely & the fact that I now seem to stay happy & jovial after a decent sesh is a pleasant bonus 😊

Bollocks P......you’ve always been a miserable cunt :D

57 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Genuine offer mate, if you think it might be of help, I'd be more than willing to chat with her. Or both of you together if it that's any better.

Not from an instructional point of view, but purely as someone who also suffered from massive sleep issues. Maximum was 86 hours without sleep and it's horrendous. She's not alone, and you can get through it.

Fwiw, I still suffer from occasional bouts of poor sleep, but techniques help to accept it.

Thanks R, much appreciated pal.

My daughter is a stubborn sod though, I’ve got a mate who works at Roehampton as as well as having her own clinic on Harley St, who has offered her services for free but my daughter still won’t speak to them.

She’s only willing to speak to her GP and consultant now in Sheffield, who’ve actually given a different diagnosis to her original one here.

4 minutes ago, miamiwhite said:

Thanks R, much appreciated pal.

My daughter is a stubborn sod though, I’ve got a mate who works at Roehampton as as well as having her own clinic on Harley St, who has offered her services for free but my daughter still won’t speak to them.

She’s only willing to speak to her GP and consultant now in Sheffield, who’ve actually given a different diagnosis to her original one here.

Keep her at it mate. Youngest totally disengaged from all help at one point. Things only changed when I funded her going private and she liked the consultant that she was seeing. No idea whether it was the setting, the weekly reviews or what but I guess the point that I’m making is that once they find someone that they’ll engage with it makes a massive difference in terms of recovery. Hope she comes through it mate. Like TMGJ I’m always at the end of a phone if you need. Might also catch you at my mums if the weather ever allows you to do her roof

2 minutes ago, MancWanderer said:

Keep her at it mate. Youngest totally disengaged from all help at one point. Things only changed when I funded her going private and she liked the consultant that she was seeing. No idea whether it was the setting, the weekly reviews or what but I guess the point that I’m making is that once they find someone that they’ll engage with it makes a massive difference in terms of recovery. Hope she comes through it mate. Like TMGJ I’m always at the end of a phone if you need. Might also catch you at my mums if the weather ever allows you to do her roof

Thanks mate, much appreciated again.

We’re just waiting on an apt for going private now, so fingers crossed.

If weather permits, a week on Saturday looks good for doing your mum’s roof.

5 minutes ago, miamiwhite said:

Thanks mate, much appreciated again.

We’re just waiting on an apt for going private now, so fingers crossed.

If weather permits, a week on Saturday looks good for doing your mum’s roof.

Hope it goes well mate

btw that wasn’t thinly veiled about my Mum’s roof 😁 I’ll be calling at hers that day on my way up North for a wedding so hopefully see you then

21 minutes ago, MancWanderer said:

Hope it goes well mate

btw that wasn’t thinly veiled about my Mum’s roof 😁 I’ll be calling at hers that day on my way up North for a wedding so hopefully see you then

Thanks pal.

Was going to text you the other day re the roof, but obviously you’d know the shite weather we’ve been having :D

2 hours ago, miamiwhite said:

I hope she gets sorted Miami and you can get some peace of mind. I know exactly what you mean on not fully understanding

9 minutes ago, tomski said:

I hope she gets sorted Miami and you can get some peace of mind. I know exactly what you mean on not fully understanding

Thanks Tomski.

Being on the outside looking in isn’t easy is it ?

To all those on meds on here, I genuinely wish you all the very best in your fight, current plight and recovery.

As I’ve said to Tomski, I find it incredibly hard watching and not fully comprehending what folk are going through.

Keep going chaps, all the very best to each and every one of you.

• Site Supporter
4 hours ago, Not in Crawley said:

You're missing out - first two weeks on them was ace - also they really help the hangovers, no longer get the fear. I'm not sure if that's the point, but I'm not complaining. 

Fucking hell I was the complete opposite! They made me feel utterly awful for a week then just crap for another week then it gradually got better and better.

• Site Supporter
3 minutes ago, Winchester White said:

Fucking hell I was the complete opposite! They made me feel utterly awful for a week then just crap for another week then it gradually got better and better.

Aye. Definitely felt worse on them for a bit. Remember walking down the garden path like a zombie.

Took around 6-8 weeks to start to balance out, then perhaps a little longer to really start to improve.

I suppose it might depend to an extent on how soon you get medication as opposed to when it might have been prudent to have started on it. Not delaying going to the to might be beneficial in this regard.

11 hours ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Sertraline are you on?

Can't remember to be honest.

If you felt ace in the first two weeks then you're a very fortunate individual.

Supping, unfortunately, counteracts it as alcohol is a depressant, so again you're lucky.

Wouldn't recommend it, especially in early days.

I guess so, not had much to compare it with. First two days I took them felt a bit odd but then for a couple of weeks was like coming up every morning but in a lovely cheery way. It’s taken away the anxiety and let me not over worry about things I can’t control. I’ve never been a ‘down’ person but the anxiety has been a drain.

• Site Supporter

This won’t be popular

Ive not had a drink since the Sunderland game, and I feel loads better.

we all know alcohol doesn’t help, but I’ve just never had the inclination to stop.

Now that I have, I’m not sure I want to start again. I didn’t realise how shit it was making me feel.

Rochdale match will be the first real test...

Not understanding what someone is going through but not judging them and supporting them regardless with their problems is a brilliant thing, and regardless of them being family it's not always going to be an easy thing.

Even though to this day I honestly still feel shame and embarrassment about it I've made sure my eldest kids know all my issues because should the time come I want them to know that the support will be there and it's better to get help than go it alone.

Edited by ErnestTurnip

57 minutes ago, Spider said:

This won’t be popular

Ive not had a drink since the Sunderland game, and I feel loads better.

we all know alcohol doesn’t help, but I’ve just never had the inclination to stop.

Now that I have, I’m not sure I want to start again. I didn’t realise how shit it was making me feel.

Rochdale match will be the first real test...

About 12 weeks since I last had a drink.

Don't miss it to be honest, but I've lost a stone and a half in the process.