Jump to content
Wanderers Ways - passion not fashion
boltondiver

Extinction people

Recommended Posts

Are in Manchester today

Might pop down at lunchtime 

Wonder if they’ll take their plastic bottles home with them?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This may have been posted in one of the other topics but I try to avoid them. Seems as good a place as any though. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 30/08/2019 at 17:36, boltondiver said:

Are in Manchester today

Might pop down at lunchtime 

Wonder if they’ll take their plastic bottles home with them?

Might have to if it's jammed up their arse, the scruffy cunts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MancWanderer said:

They have a point but their modus operandi alienates almost all but the unwashed

Aye.

It was no doubt one of these types who painted the message on the bridge over the M60/61 junction. Using paint made from all sorts of chemicals and oil derivatives. From a plastic or metal container. Etc,etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Aye.

It was no doubt one of these types who painted the message on the bridge over the M60/61 junction. Using paint made from all sorts of chemicals and oil derivatives. From a plastic or metal container. Etc,etc.

Don't get me started. Posters, placards, paints, etc. Did they walk to their protest or take advantage of fossil-fuelled transport? If you take it to the extremes that they do then these are the stupid questions that you have to ask. There are far more sensible ways to promote ways of reversing climate change

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Reckon we need to start a company selling all manner of eco friendly protesting stationery. Sold from a wattle and daub hut heated by fermentation of animal shite, and delivered by ancient vw camper van, modified to run on old chippy oil and roof mounted solar panels.

 

Edited by Tonge moor green jacket

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I never usually comment on this forum. Just use it to scroll and keep updated with fans views on the club and any inside stories, especially with all the stuff that's been going on with bwfc lately.

But I couldn't resist with this thread. I live in Edinburgh, even though I started my profile on here when I was living in London. Anyway, I recently joined Extinction Rebellion. I've never been on a protest in my life and was expecting all sorts of Daily Mail stereotypes when I turned up to the new member’s induction meeting. However, I was shocked to discover that everyone smelt lovely and looked pretty fresh. It was a meeting of about 20 new members which included a whole range of people from pensioners to teachers and builders to single mums. Funnily enough all the meetings had recently been moved from a 6pm to a 7pm starting time because people weren't able to make it in time from their jobs (yes jobs, can you believe it)?


Now I'm all for a bit of banter when it comes to the soap dodger and great unwashed comments. But there is a common argument in this thread that because someone uses fossil fuel products then they don't have any right to protest. That could include driving there, going on a bus or drinking from a plastic bottle. Is it just me that thinks that argument is bonkers? We live in a fossil fuel society. Unless you want to completely separate yourself and live in a hut off-grid then it's pretty hard to avoid having a carbon footprint. Plus you’re going to be making very little impact to the global crisis. Surely if there is an argument to be had then it's about the movements tactics. Not what one of their dreadlocked members had for tea. 

Like I said, this protest movement thing is pretty new to me. Personally, having read a lot of mainstream Science papers and reports recently, I'm pretty terrified that sh*t is going to hit the fan in the next 20 years. By that I mean, massive crop failure due to soil erosion, unprecedented levels of migration, climate wars and a realistic prospect of the collapse of society. That used to be hippy talk but now it's being widely spouted by the scientific community and world health organisation. Where we land between 2 degrees and 4 degrees of warming will influence the severity of all of these problems and it depends on how well we can organise now. It isn't about right or left politics, it's about everyone’s future. 

So I went along to this meeting because I think that political legislation is the solution. Not all this hippy dippy talk of returning to nature, eating beanburgers and using reuseable coffee cups. I also went because I think our government has a duty to protect its citizens. And whilst they have declared an emergency they have brought in very little legislation that will meet our targets. We need to double our investment in tackling the climate crisis (because the cost down the line will be far greater) and we need to start moving investment from fossil to renewable energy. We also need to make drastic changes to our wasteful consumption habits so we are reusing products, repairing them and making things that last. That shouldn't primarily be up to individuals, it needs to be the companies that make the changes, for me responsibility lies with them and that's why we need legislation. Feel free to disagree with any of that, you might even be looking forward to shooting soap dodgers in the upcoming Armageddon. But I'll give it two comments before I hear a 'did you wash today', 'have you got a job' and 'did you type this on computer made of plastic' 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 31/08/2019 at 19:09, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Aye.

It was no doubt one of these types who painted the message on the bridge over the M60/61 junction. Using paint made from all sorts of chemicals and oil derivatives. From a plastic or metal container. Etc,etc.

Wrong. That message is written in purest woad carried there in half coconuts. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, London Wanderer said:

I never usually comment on this forum. Just use it to scroll and keep updated with fans views on the club and any inside stories, especially with all the stuff that's been going on with bwfc lately.

But I couldn't resist with this thread. I live in Edinburgh, even though I started my profile on here when I was living in London. Anyway, I recently joined Extinction Rebellion. I've never been on a protest in my life and was expecting all sorts of Daily Mail stereotypes when I turned up to the new member’s induction meeting. However, I was shocked to discover that everyone smelt lovely and looked pretty fresh. It was a meeting of about 20 new members which included a whole range of people from pensioners to teachers and builders to single mums. Funnily enough all the meetings had recently been moved from a 6pm to a 7pm starting time because people weren't able to make it in time from their jobs (yes jobs, can you believe it)?


Now I'm all for a bit of banter when it comes to the soap dodger and great unwashed comments. But there is a common argument in this thread that because someone uses fossil fuel products then they don't have any right to protest. That could include driving there, going on a bus or drinking from a plastic bottle. Is it just me that thinks that argument is bonkers? We live in a fossil fuel society. Unless you want to completely separate yourself and live in a hut off-grid then it's pretty hard to avoid having a carbon footprint. Plus you’re going to be making very little impact to the global crisis. Surely if there is an argument to be had then it's about the movements tactics. Not what one of their dreadlocked members had for tea. 

Like I said, this protest movement thing is pretty new to me. Personally, having read a lot of mainstream Science papers and reports recently, I'm pretty terrified that sh*t is going to hit the fan in the next 20 years. By that I mean, massive crop failure due to soil erosion, unprecedented levels of migration, climate wars and a realistic prospect of the collapse of society. That used to be hippy talk but now it's being widely spouted by the scientific community and world health organisation. Where we land between 2 degrees and 4 degrees of warming will influence the severity of all of these problems and it depends on how well we can organise now. It isn't about right or left politics, it's about everyone’s future. 

So I went along to this meeting because I think that political legislation is the solution. Not all this hippy dippy talk of returning to nature, eating beanburgers and using reuseable coffee cups. I also went because I think our government has a duty to protect its citizens. And whilst they have declared an emergency they have brought in very little legislation that will meet our targets. We need to double our investment in tackling the climate crisis (because the cost down the line will be far greater) and we need to start moving investment from fossil to renewable energy. We also need to make drastic changes to our wasteful consumption habits so we are reusing products, repairing them and making things that last. That shouldn't primarily be up to individuals, it needs to be the companies that make the changes, for me responsibility lies with them and that's why we need legislation. Feel free to disagree with any of that, you might even be looking forward to shooting soap dodgers in the upcoming Armageddon. But I'll give it two comments before I hear a 'did you wash today', 'have you got a job' and 'did you type this on computer made of plastic' 

Wrong place mate. 

This neck of the woods is for dyed  (preferably the chemical sort) in the wool Tory expat types. You’ll be shouted down in no time. 

If you have any views that slightly diverge from the standard you’ll be tagged as a commie cunt. 

Welcome!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, mickbrown said:

Wrong place mate. 

This neck of the woods is for dyed  (preferably the chemical sort) in the wool Tory expat types. You’ll be shouted down in no time. 

If you have any views that slightly diverge from the standard you’ll be tagged as a commie cunt. 

Welcome!!

There is an work round though for this, just tag on the fact you’re taking anti-depressants at the end of the post, or you’ve just had a jr wanderer and bingo! All initially virulent anger coming your way is suppressed.

You’re welcome. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, mickbrown said:

Wrong place mate. 

This neck of the woods is for dyed  (preferably the chemical sort) in the wool Tory expat types. You’ll be shouted down in no time. 

If you have any views that slightly diverge from the standard you’ll be tagged as a commie cunt. 

Welcome!!

haha. Yes I read the forum fairly regularly and got that :) Thanks for the welcome anyway Mick. 

I actually don't know if my views in other walks of life really diverge from that standard. It's just this subject seems to have had an effect on me lately. A family friend sent me the IPCC Climate Report video and it terrified me. I also think we're at a tipping point when people will have to accept the Science, regardless of whether your a brexiter, remoaner, conservative or green party member. The idea that we could actually be facing extinction pretty soon has made it to the mainstream recently and it is backed up by pretty strong evidence. 

I'm definitely in the wrong place and I'm definitely going to be shouted down. But if my post persuades one person to pressure their MP a bit more or even just persuades a person to understand the science a bit more then i'll be happy. I'll also consider myself pretty lucky. 

Edited by London Wanderer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They are parked up near us, I'm entirely with them in principle.

HOWEVER, they are still a bunch of scruffy cunts, it really just is rent-a-mob hippies, looks like Glasto down there. One cunt in an 18th century army jacket and mirrored Docs. Fuck off back to Somerset you cunt.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Carlos said:

They are parked up near us, I'm entirely with them in principle.

HOWEVER, they are still a bunch of scruffy cunts, it really just is rent-a-mob hippies, looks like Glasto down there. One cunt in an 18th century army jacket and mirrored Docs. Fuck off back to Somerset you cunt.

Genuinley the opposite of my experience up in Edinburgh. But I'm not disputing what you saw. Often it's the fella with a dread mullet or the lass with yellow hair and hariy pits that stands out and folk often forget to look at the majority of the other people. 

Glad that you're in agreement in principle though.

Edited by London Wanderer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can't really forget to look at the majority of them when I was specifically looking for any normal people among them. They 100% are people who protest about everything, lacks any impact, which is sad.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Glad to see someone who takes IPCC reports seriously. Have you ever considered running for  presidential office in the US?

Said it before and I'll say it again - lack of action on climate change and antibiotic resistance are worth going to prison for. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, kent_white said:

Glad to see someone who takes IPCC reports seriously. Have you ever considered running for  presidential office in the US?

Said it before and I'll say it again - lack of action on climate change and antibiotic resistance are worth going to prison for. 

Couldn't agree more and I hope it becomes a law in the coming years. There are plenty of lawyers campaigning for it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, Carlos said:

I can't really forget to look at the majority of them when I was specifically looking for any normal people among them. They 100% are people who protest about everything, lacks any impact, which is sad.

They do tend to dress up a lot and jazz themselves up during protests though. If you have a scroll through this you will spot plenty alternative looking people but also plenty of normal looking people. 

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/gallery/pictures-extinction-rebellion-march-through-16852410


To me what they look like  misses the point and if you make judgements such as their work profession and shower tally based on this then you're following pointless stereotypes. Not that I'm accusing you of this.

They are set to be the biggest civil disobedience movement in British history and to achieve that you've almost certainly got people outside of the 'they protest over anything' bracket. 

Whether or not their protest has any impact is also a really good point and kind of what I thought the argument should be about on this thread. Rather than where they work or how many showers they take. I would argue they have had quite a big impact so far but whether that will lead to any change is what really matters. 

Edited by London Wanderer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wouldn't disagree with a thing there LW.

However, it's how the protest is being undertaken that I can't agree with.

Blocking a city centre road, just adds to commuter difficulties, pissed folk off and potentially may cause more hold ups and increase pollution.

A more measured, effective approach: perhaps holding an event where companies can erect stalls and show alternative products.

Education, with genuine academics explaining things, with positive actions that can easily be done by families etc

There is indeed an inertia within society, and it needs changing to force big business to follow suit.

I also believe some legislation is necessary to give everything a bit more of a push, and politicians to be prepared to be quite radical at times. Maybe get some of these MPs to such events.

Make it more like "we're in it together".

Here's a prime example. I've got a van for my job. Because it's classes as a light goods vehicle I pay fairly high road tax.

Same engine in a car and it's less!

Where's the incentive for utilising a more fuel efficient system?

All sorts of lobbying to be done, and good luck with the aims: just don't expect a lot of support when you park a yacht in a city centre Street.

If you can get the organisers to change the approach to a more sensible and effective one, I'd be in.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd also add there are a large number of folk itching to be less impacting upon the environment; we need a movement that more fits our needs rather than antagonises. You said yourself the biggest civil disobedience movement: folk don't want that, rather be part of a civilized movement.

Get it more mainstream, part of everyday life and at the centre of economic activity and presto, you're onto a winner.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's worth mentioning that the march started this morning, and headed away from the original site. The people I saw left at the protest site were not part of the march. So MEN pictures where they've selected ones with any fit women in aren't representative of the hard core swampies.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think more action needs taking on climate change. However if there's one thing guaranteed to annoy me its scruffy professional protesters browbeating and lecturing. A number of them are in it more because they like the anti-capitalist element than the actual climate change element. If you want to drive folk away from the cause carry on behaving like smelly hippies, encouraging children to strike on school days and waving placards around. And David Attenborough is not a God.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

móngs the lot of em, Boris isn't interested in a bunch of peasants setting up a tent village, he will take absolutely no notice whatsoever and the filthy fuckers will continue to inconvenience normal folk. The sooner fed up Jo Public start twatting them the better, make sure Jo wears a mask around his face and an Antifa badge and call it political violence then you'll get some support from the mingers/labour/unite. Alternatively, throw a milk shake over them each time you walk past, that seems perfectly acceptable behaviour these days

Never taken anti depressants and no young children

Edited by Widnes Two Hats

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.