Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Extinction people

globaldiver

12 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Now then, if the BBC had shown the clip linked by boby, as in the full bit, then it would be different.

You're right, I've changed my mind, he aims a stamp on the fellas head and therefore can't complain if he gets lamped.

No need for the snide grey hoodie man, but if the protestor wants to give it, he needs to be prepared to take it.

Thing is none of these scruffy oinks can give it. And when it does come back in spades they don’t like it and there is uproar. 

There are ways to protest against things this isn’t the right way and they deserve every bit of anger that comes back at them for disrupting the lives of normal people going out to jobs they probably hate to put food on the table for their families  

• Site Supporter
5 minutes ago, Escobarp said:

Thing is none of these scruffy oinks can give it. And when it does come back in spades they don’t like it and there is uproar. 

There are ways to protest against things this isn’t the right way and they deserve every bit of anger that comes back at them for disrupting the lives of normal people going out to jobs they probably hate to put food on the table for their families  

No argument there from me.

Just found it a bit distasteful seeing a couple of blokes chucking in a snide boot. I get the feeling the protestor had already had what was due.

• Site Supporter
13 minutes ago, Escobarp said:

Where's the uproar? The vast majority seem to think the bellend deserved it.

What pisses me off the most about this is that there was a poll amongst XR members the other day asking if we should target the tube. 97% of the protestors voted not to target it- going for the strongly disagree option. 

Then these numpties go and do it. And they have the cheek to complain we need a better democracy to combat climate change.

I've supported minor disruption of roads so far because they have been directly outside Westminster, government departments, oil/gas fairs and media franchise. They have also be liaising with public transport and emergency services beforehand to minimise disruption. Being there for a few days, I can tell you the general public were mainly understanding, positive or up for a debate. 

Horrible scenes and a shitty image for the movement created by narrow minded idiots. If I'm alienated, then god knows how everyone else feels. There will always be people infiltrating movements to affect it's image, but the worst part about this is the people 'at the top' seem to be in agreement. 

1 hour ago, frank_spencer said:

Targeting public transport FFS.

That's just destroyed large chunks of support they have gained previously.

This will be the lasting image of XR for many people now.

No doubt the bloke receiving the kicking is now telling all his fellow activists about it, holding interviews with the papers, writing a "blog" and organising the next meeting....all on his smartphone naturally

https://phys.org/news/2018-08-ways-smartphone-environment.html

21 hours ago, SatanGreavsie said:

No doubt the bloke receiving the kicking is now telling all his fellow activists about it, holding interviews with the papers, writing a "blog" and organising the next meeting....all on his smartphone naturally

https://phys.org/news/2018-08-ways-smartphone-environment.html

Very much doubt it to be honest pal. The fellas who received a kicking have been given plenty of abuse by people in their own movement. Folk in XR are furious and rightly so, what were they thinking? Virtually nobody in XR wanted them to do this and they went and did it anyway. Knowing they would alienate the majority of their own movement and any public support they had gained. Fuck em. 

However... are we still going for the argument that you can't protest because at some point you used fossil fuels? Hardly the most enlightened of arguments. 

It's a good article though, thanks for sharing. Kind of highlights the issue. So many companies make huge profits from persuading you to buy shite you don't need or shite that doesn't last. There are better solutions. You can buy Fairphones but they cost a fortune. You can insulate your home more efficiently, replace your boiler, but it costs a fortune. You can get an electric car or buy pesticde free food, but it costs a fortune. Currently, many of the paths to going carbon neutral involve being wealthy and that's why we need a massive shift in our economy and company practice. 

Edited by London Wanderer

• Site Supporter

In the decades to come, oil prices surely will rise as availability lessens and it costs more to get it.

Putting global warming to one side, food production will need another revolution at some point as it can't continue as a fossil fuel based industry.

Technology is playing a part in helping reduce pesticide use, I would imagine bio fuels and electrification will play a part.

• Site Supporter

Had an interesting discussion with my mum about this last night. She's come to the conclusion that Climate Change is a massive lie - based entirely on 2 bellends standing on top of a train, and Piers Morgan talking to some cunt dressed up as a piece of brocolli. What a world.

XR had a spokeswomen on the news the other day saying 30 years of government have done nothing to combat climate change. Completely wrong and completely counter productive 

The same day it was announced by the national grid that for the third month running over 50% of our electricity was generated by renewable sources!! We now release less Carbon than we did when Queen Victoria died (when the population was half of what it is now). 

We are on track to recycle over 50% of all waste by next year and 10% of new cars sold are now electric or hybrid. 

But let these tickets go round telling people that nothing has happened! 

Let this lot protest and ruin people’s days whilst other people quietly go about making an actual difference 

21 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Putting global warming to one side, food production will need another revolution at some point as it can't continue as a fossil fuel based industry.

Absolutely. Which is why it annoys me that people are so opposed to GM foods. It's one of the most effective tools we'll have once the full effects of climate change start to become apparent.

I bet you a lot of the XR protesters pleading for governments to listen to the science on climate change aren't listening to the science on GM foods.

Just now, kent_white said:

Absolutely. Which is why it annoys me that people are so opposed to GM foods. It's one of the most effective tools we'll have once the full effects of climate change start to become apparent.

I bet you a lot of the XR protesters pleading for governments to listen to the science on climate change aren't listening to the science on GM foods.

I follow a guy on Facebook and one thing he's amazed by is the number of people who  bang in about science being the proof behind everything until it conflicts with their own personal views.

They'll babg on about the science showing climate change but then be dead against the science when it comes to vaccines or GM foods