Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Extinction people

globaldiver

Let's not overreact, now.

Let's just see how it pans out.

For example, I've no 'science' to back it up but I bet the asteroid that killed the dinosaurs chucked up more carbon in one foul swoop than all human activity put together, yet here we are.

Bloody experts were predicting we'd all be dead of monkey 'flu twenty odd years ago, yet here we are.

I have a hunch it'll be reet.

Edited by Youri McAnespie

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Took me a while to locate this thread.

They're back in the news up in Scotland. 10 day campaign targetting North Sea Oil and Gas. Much better tactics than standing on top of tubes.... In my humble opinion. 

https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/news/local/dundee/1062754/extinction-rebellion-activist-vows-to-go-down-fighting-as-protesters-scale-oil-rig-at-dundee-port-and-launch-occupation/

So they are stopping people who work on that rig from Going to work and earning and providing for their families instead?

We all know something needs to be done about the use of fossil fuels and climate change as a whole but what difference is this protest actually going to make to that cause ?
Zero other than to the people who work on the rig in my opinion 

• Site Supporter

Police etc vehicles will be burning fuel to drive to the scene. As will be employees doing overtime as required.

How did the protesters get there?

All unnecessary spending.

If they've got all this time, put some effort in to cleaning up rubbish etc from river banks, removing sources of pollution.

Rubber bullets.

4 hours ago, Escobarp said:

So they are stopping people who work on that rig from Going to work and earning and providing for their families instead?

We all know something needs to be done about the use of fossil fuels and climate change as a whole but what difference is this protest actually going to make to that cause ?
Zero other than to the people who work on the rig in my opinion 

The people working on the rig won't have their wages effected and this protest won't impact on their families like you suggest. In answer to your question, the purpose is that it raises public awareness and targets industry directly. The action wasn't taken lightly and they have communicated with workers. 

I've done a talk with some oil workers in Aberdeen and have a couple more planned in Fife in February. It's bloody terrifying but we had a decent dialogue and discussion. Most agree with the science that we have to leave oil in the ground.  

There's some bloody talented people working for North Sea Oil and Gas. We need that talent in renewable energy and we need them there now. Has to be a just transition that puts the workers first. 

Edited by London Wanderer

Just now, London Wanderer said:

The people working on the rig won't have their wages effected and this protest won't impact on their families like you suggest. In answer to your question, the purpose is that it raises public awareness and targets industry directly. The action wasn't taken lightly and they have communicated with workers. 

I've done a talk with some oil workers in Aberdeen and have a couple more planned in Fife in February. It's bloody terrifying but we had a decent dialogue and discussion. Most agree with the science that we have to leave them in the ground.  

There's some bloody talented people working for North Sea Oil and Gas. We need that talent in renewable energy and we need them there now. Has to be a just transition that puts the workers first. 

Do you know how much it would cost the company in lost revenue if that rig is delayed from getting back to see by 10 days?

the O&G company are just going to suck that up and it will have no effect on staff? You really believe that?

mate of mine is a kitchen hand on a rig (not that one). His contract is such that if he’s not on the rig he doesn’t get paid. Tell you what If his rig gets done the same I will send him your way and you can pay him that ok with you? His wife and three kids will be ever so grateful 

And if you honestly think this is the right way to raise public awareness by people scaling oil rigs and preventing them from going out to sea to work them I’m baffled. 

I hope the police throw the fucking book at the lot of them and they get chucked in the nick and receive a good twatting whilst in there too. 

does everything but make my awareness of the problem increase. Just makes my piss boil. And I won’t be alone. But you all crack on it you think its the way to save the world. 

4 hours ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Police etc vehicles will be burning fuel to drive to the scene. As will be employees doing overtime as required.

How did the protesters get there?

All unnecessary spending.

If they've got all this time, put some effort in to cleaning up rubbish etc from river banks, removing sources of pollution.

Rubber bullets.

The protesters got there on bamboo boats powered by all this extra wind produced by people engaging in Veganuary. 

Honestly TMJ, you're too wise a bloke than to use that argument. We all exist in this system, we're all hypocrites. Protests will always cost money and resources. It's a democratic right and I'm happy some of my taxes go on policing people's right to protest. 

Removing sources of pollution from rivers and beaches is an honourable act- but achieves fuck all. Better to target the producers of that pollution- name them, shame them- go to their factories. But do it in a way that shows consideration for the workers. 

Rubber bullets are mined in the Congo pal- any other suggestions?

• Site Supporter

Yes we're all hypocrites. But equally you can't keep using that argument to justify such action.

I agree wholeheartedly that these folk want redeploying into renewables as soon as possible- that however is a million miles from these protests.

As I've said before, focus efforts on proper, legitimate lobbying of politicians and companies, with positive strategies to help with this transition.

A modern social theme is to be very willing to be critical and disruptive, high horse attitudes won't help solve anything. At this particular time we need far more positivity, creativity and intelligence.

43 minutes ago, Escobarp said:

Do you know how much it would cost the company in lost revenue if that rig is delayed from getting back to see by 10 days?

the O&G company are just going to suck that up and it will have no effect on staff? You really believe that?

mate of mine is a kitchen hand on a rig (not that one). His contract is such that if he’s not on the rig he doesn’t get paid. Tell you what If his rig gets done the same I will send him your way and you can pay him that ok with you? His wife and three kids will be ever so grateful 

And if you honestly think this is the right way to raise public awareness by people scaling oil rigs and preventing them from going out to sea to work them I’m baffled. 

I hope the police throw the fucking book at the lot of them and they get chucked in the nick and receive a good twatting whilst in there too. 

does everything but make my awareness of the problem increase. Just makes my piss boil. And I won’t be alone. But you all crack on it you think its the way to save the world. 

The profit these companies make off the destruction they cause is vast. If they can't pay their workers because of a protest then that just highlights their greed. These kind of protests have been happening more frequently in recent years and I'm yet to hear of oil and gas workers being denied wages because of them. I will hold my hands up if it turns out they have but I heard nothing from the oil workers I spoke to. Have you heard of them impacting on people's wages? Oil and gas companies willl often sub the cost themselves or be reimbursed through insurance. But as for your mate- if these actions did happen to prevent him earning- then yes, send him our way. One of the things that came out of my talk is that there should be a fund for people who are affected if the company refuses. But this is yet to happen. 

It's always going to baffle some people, of course you're not alone. These actions are tough and they do impact some people. But I believe they're neccessary and can make an impact. Nobody wants to be doing it and the law will come down hard. But many people are willing to go to prison for this. 

North Sea Oil and Gas aren't planning a reduction in their activities and politicians are refusing to bring in legislation that binds fossil fuels industry to the paris agreement. Just look at Australia- fully committed to opening ever more coal mines in the face of a crisis. Companies have been deforesting and sucking groundwater out for decades despite the warnings from scientists. If the government won't act and continue to subsidise then we need these kinds of actions. I would have thought exactly the same as you five years ago. 

34 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Yes we're all hypocrites. But equally you can't keep using that argument to justify such action.

I agree wholeheartedly that these folk want redeploying into renewables as soon as possible- that however is a million miles from these protests.

As I've said before, focus efforts on proper, legitimate lobbying of politicians and companies, with positive strategies to help with this transition.

A modern social theme is to be very willing to be critical and disruptive, high horse attitudes won't help solve anything. At this particular time we need far more positivity, creativity and intelligence.

My point is you can't bloody move without having a carbon footprint. Why can't someone protest because they used fossil fuels to do so? It's impossible to avoid. Even if you get a train there and use a pedalo. 

I agree we need more positivity. The solution to all this doom and gloom is actually a healthier society, with localised energy sources, more nutritional food and restored ecosystems. Bring it on. 

Many of these activists do focus on legitimate lobbying. But it isn't always effective. Especially when you're up against the likes of Shell and Exon who up until recently were lobbying that man made climate change is nonsense. I've met scientists and lobbyists who've taken up activism because they've spent the past 30 years trying to lobby the truth in the face of distortion tactics by fossil fuel companies. 

But yes- I agree with you- we must lobby politicians and companies. But the situation is too urgent not to also combine this with direct action that raises public awareness and disrupts the industry directly. It just has to be done in a way that is considerate of the workers. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • Site Supporter
1 minute ago, miamiwhite said:

Any thoughts on this ?

I've no idea, so please don't shoot your duff at the messenger 

https://mobile.twitter.com/ClimateRealists/status/1222527761673310209?s=09

First I've heard.

I suppose the rate of melting is the major concern.

Not sure if the article covers it (cba reading it all!) but I would assume these volcanoes have been active for a considerable period of time and the ice hasn't retreated massively in this time.

Interesting nevertheless: I posted on china thread the other day about how some of the BBC stuff is contradictory at times. This also illustrates my other gripe; wish they'd be more complete at times.

On 29/01/2020 at 20:15, miamiwhite said:

Any thoughts on this ?

I've no idea, so please don't shoot your duff at the messenger 

https://mobile.twitter.com/ClimateRealists/status/1222527761673310209?s=09

Not shooting the message :) However- Climate Realists are a bunch of flat earth idiots. Their website is manned by one conspiracy theorist who recently wrote a statement apoligising saying he no longer had the time to update it. Hardly an accurate or reliable source. Their page is full to the brim of shite that man-made climate change is a lie and eco terrorists are controlling the media. http://climaterealists.com/

Scientists are analysing to see the effect the volcano's are having. This has been in the news for years, it's hardly a conspiracy. Ice sheets there have existed on top of them for tens of thousands of years but they could be playing a small effect on the warming. Still, what's clear from the recent research out there is that it is the warming seas surrounding the glacier that are warming the ice underneath. 

Oceans are waming and acidifying all over the world at an alarming rate, and it isn't just ice in Antartica that is retreating. 

Was looking at the Daily Mail's reporting of the Antartica research and this was the most liked comment- "hmmmm they drill below a glacier using hot equipment and wonder why it's melting" - Why do these people still exist?