Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Extinction people

globaldiver

23 minutes ago, Boby Brno said:

The problem I have with ER, who I assume you support, is that they don’t agree with the IPCC report. After years of denial, most people and governments now agree that things have to change. Ironically, ER are now dismissing a report that has a global consensus with thousands of references and almost a hundred authors. Just like the climate change deniers. Who are the experts in this cult who know better?

support some of their actions (to an extent) and I understand the desperation with which they act (to an extent). For that reason I've joined some of the protests. 

They're a pretty broad church to be fair. Whilst they do have some stereotypical swampy types, they are mostly made up of normal folk who are desperate for more urgent changes. 

I don't think they claim to ignore experts & I think claiming all of XR do is a pretty sweeping generalisation. 

Elements of XR & plenty of scientists think that the IPCC report summary is a relatively conservative assessment of the consequences we might face if global warming does exceed 1.5 degrees. It ignores the effects mass migration might have and tipping points (which are fucking terrifying). I think they have a point no?

I take it you were referring to this?

2 minutes ago, London Wanderer said:

support some of their actions (to an extent) and I understand the desperation with which they act (to an extent). For that reason I've joined some of the protests. 

They're a pretty broad church to be fair. Whilst they do have some stereotypical swampy types, they are mostly made up of normal folk who are desperate for more urgent changes. 

I don't think they claim to ignore experts & I think claiming all of XR do is a pretty sweeping generalisation. 

Elements of XR & plenty of scientists think that the IPCC report summary is a relatively conservative assessment of the consequences we might face if global warming does exceed 1.5 degrees. It ignores the effects mass migration might have and tipping points (which are fucking terrifying). I think they have a point no?

I take it you were referring to this?

Yes. The report that most of the worlds governments are using as their mandate towards reducing emissions. As I said who are the experts at ER that know better?

19 minutes ago, Boby Brno said:

Yes. The report that most of the worlds governments are using as their mandate towards reducing emissions. As I said who are the experts at ER that know better?

I don't know? Can you give an example of people in XR who have? Like I said, many scientists are saying the IPCC summary was too conservative in its estimates & that we should be doing more.  https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/oct/08/world-leaders-climate-change-ipcc-report

Therefore, XR want our govn to take this advice. XR have been very clear they aren't experts. They are asking our govn act on the advice of scientific research. 

• Members
3 hours ago, royal white said:

Dear god 😂😂🤦‍♂️ The lap dogs are out.

Unbelieveable. Hopefully Sweep was using his famed sarcasm which I have fallen victim to in past thinking he was serious.

The only nerve Knob Cheese could hit would be in his own glans.

9 minutes ago, royal white said:

What are the estimated costs of a new electric vehicle? 

Neighbour has one of those Tesla X malarkeys with the gull wings. Looks the absolute bollox but it's 70k!

Make em cheaper than a petrol one, with a 300 mile range and every fucker will buy one.

We're some way off that I think

7 minutes ago, mickbrown said:

Neighbour has one of those Tesla X malarkeys with the gull wings. Looks the absolute bollox but it's 70k!

Make em cheaper than a petrol one, with a 300 mile range and every fucker will buy one.

We're some way off that I think

My issue with electric car is that a 300 mile range isn't enough. I wouldn't be able to drive down south for a meeting/site survey and drive back in the same day ( I could get the train but currently it's only London that's accessible in a reasonable time ) 

2 minutes ago, Cheese said:

What was the estimated cost of a petrol-powered motor vehicle in 1890?

No idea I wasn’t knocking about then, but in reality how many folk who need vehicles are in a position or willing to buy a new electric one? My family need two cars, there’s not a chance I’ll be going out anytime soon spending a fortune on some electric wheels. 

3 minutes ago, dave2980 said:

My issue with electric car is that a 300 mile range isn't enough. I wouldn't be able to drive down south for a meeting/site survey and drive back in the same day ( I could get the train but currently it's only London that's accessible in a reasonable time ) 

I know less than fuck all about these cars, but couldn't it be charged up whilst you were in the meeting?

And could these cars not be self-charging via a dynamo type system?

We are only now starting to see some really advanced electric vehicles. Mind blowing what is coming believe me  

vans almost available now that will do 400 mile range on a charge. Electric trucks imminent too  

plus huge huge strides made in terms of charging infrastructure as well which at the moment is lacking and until this is sorted electric vehicles will not become a staple site on our roads 

Edited by Escobarp

Just now, Traf said:

I know less than fuck all about these cars, but couldn't it be charged up whilst you were in the meeting?

And could these cars not be self-charging via a dynamo type system?

I know about as much as you on the subject, but very few places have charging points that I'm aware of. I've only ever seen them at motorway services plus some other random paces.

I currently drive a Lexus Hybrid which does have an element of self charging but on pure electric it can only do about 8 miles. I'd love a PEHV or even a Tesla but the BIK value pretty much eliminates  the personal tax savings

• Site Supporter
16 minutes ago, royal white said:

No idea I wasn’t knocking about then, but in reality how many folk who need vehicles are in a position or willing to buy a new electric one? My family need two cars, there’s not a chance I’ll be going out anytime soon spending a fortune on some electric wheels. 

That's probably similar to what people thought in the early 1900's. Society changes.