Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Extinction people

globaldiver

• Site Supporter

I think electric cars need a rethink.

Wouldn't it be better if the batteries were arranged in removable trays, say in a slot under the seats.

Instead of filling up with fuel, just pull into the station, remove the trays and replace with other precharged ones. Then pay.

• Site Supporter
4 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

I think electric cars need a rethink.

Wouldn't it be better if the batteries were arranged in removable trays, say in a slot under the seats.

Instead of filling up with fuel, just pull into the station, remove the trays and replace with other precharged ones. Then pay.

Batteries are bloody heavy but I see your point, if you could swap out at a station then that would be a bonus.

All cars/vans/trucks will be electric in time as battery tech improves.

Now we’re talking. If we are going to go back to the 70’s when people got married at their local church not Las Vegas, stag do’s were in Manchester not Prague, half the cars on the road, replace tv’s when they finally conked out, drink water out of the tap etc.etc.

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, Moon boy said:

Electric cars will never replace petrol/ Diesel engines, laws of physics 

Batteries will never be powerful enough/cheap enough/ light enough/ to cover long distance

Boffins need to come up with a new power source or type of engine, Hydrogen?

I think Honda have already made one but it is rather complex and hugely expensive.

1 hour ago, Cheese said:

Whether you like it or not, they already are doing. These things don't happen over night. 

I never said I liked it or I didn’t knobby,  I’m saying electric vehicles are not the answer, Dyson planned to invest £2billion in electric cars and batteries and he’s come to the conclusion it’s not going to work out

Meanwhile big companies will flog electric vehicles to rich eco warriors for the time being, it’s just creating more shit for the next generation to clean up 

• Site Supporter
5 minutes ago, Moon boy said:

I never said I liked it or I didn’t knobby,  I’m saying electric vehicles are not the answer, Dyson planned to invest £2billion in electric cars and batteries and he’s come to the conclusion it’s not going to work out

Meanwhile big companies will flog electric vehicles to rich eco warriors for the time being, it’s just creating more shit for the next generation to clean up 

You're talking shite Mongo. To use a local example - virtually every taxi in Blackpool is electric now, and I work with at least 10 people who drive electric cars. They're on the up, and they'll get increasingly more popular as the price comes down. You need to widen your horizons and listen to some actual experts rather than daft old men who refuse to accept progress. 

I don't think electric cars are the problem - I think the infrastructure is the problem.

Until you can fix a relatively cheap charge point at home - or it's a very quick battery recharge at a station I think people will struggle to be convinced.

If you can crack that problem (and it's a big problem) - I can't see any problem with electric cars. Especially if you're using It as a runaround about town and not for driving to the other end of the country.

If we're going to subsidise anything - electric cars and their home charging points would be a great place to start.

I can see a not to distant future where personal car use is limited and there's some kind of automated fleet that comes when you need it. Uber style.

• Site Supporter

There was a time when they said this new horseless carriage wontreplace one with a horse, it’s alreet, but you can’t go that far in it , roads are too muddy and not many chemists sell that gasoline stuff.

Necessity and advances in technology will make it happen, but not overnight and the advances in the last 20 years or show a good trajectory, don’t think we’ve hit the ceiling yet. 

The changes I’ve seen in that time in one branch of my job, where we used to have single cylinder diesel engines running temporary traffic lights , now replaced with Re chargeable batteries and not a single item remains with an engine now, didn’t think that would be possible as little as 10 years ago, but it’s happened. 

21 minutes ago, Cheese said:

You're talking shite Mongo. To use a local example - virtually every taxi in Blackpool is electric now, and I work with at least 10 people who drive electric cars. They're on the up, and they'll get increasingly more popular as the price comes down. You need to widen your horizons and listen to some actual experts rather than daft old men who refuse to accept progress. 

Electric taxis and other local vehicles may work but batteries use precious metals that are expensive to acquire, use up the worlds resources, cause pollution from mining, are not efficient after a short time, and will cause environmental problems to dispose off, unless everybody is happy with a milk float , they are not the answer

• Site Supporter
1 minute ago, Moon boy said:

Electric taxis and other local vehicles may work but batteries use precious metals that are expensive to acquire, use up the worlds resources, cause pollution from mining, are not efficient after a short time, and will cause environmental problems to dispose off, unless everybody is happy with a milk float , they are not the answer

As I said - you need to do some research, because you're talking out of your arse at the moment. 

5 minutes ago, frank_spencer said:

That's what I thought.

Nothing about the march that said 'we're all doomed sort it out'

But everyone looked to be having a nice day out so that's a win surely. 😁

Can’t beat a good day out I agree on that, though it’s making zero changes to saving the world. Hope you’ve not been buying clothes made in China and also hope you don’t eat in a restaurant later.....other than that fella, have a great time in Oxford St....hope it was the Bolton version of Oxford St, if not, then tha’s a hypocrite unless you walked there, and for that I applaud you loudly :D

Joking aside, have a great time.

Before Cheese gets obnoxious as always, I’ve absolutely no idea what to do to save the planet, it’s a very tough question to ask.

Just now, miamiwhite said:

Can’t beat a good day out I agree on that, though it’s making zero changes to saving the world. Hope you’ve not been buying clothes made in China and also hope you don’t eat in a restaurant later.....other than that fella, have a great time in Oxford St....hope it was the Bolton version of Oxford St, if not, then tha’s a hypocrite unless you walked there, and for that I applaud you loudly :D

Joking aside, have a great time.

Before Cheese gets obnoxious as always, I’ve absolutely no idea what to do to save the planet, it’s a very tough question to ask.

I'm here watching yanks play rugby wrong.

Train down and my t-shirt I bought was made in Japan. 

I'll probably buy some Vietnamese made Nike stuff at the game tomorrow

So balls to my green credentials

• Site Supporter
26 minutes ago, miamiwhite said:

Before Cheese gets obnoxious as always, I’ve absolutely no idea what to do to save the planet, it’s a very tough question to ask.:D

I'm honoured by your obsession. In good company. 

25 minutes ago, frank_spencer said:

I'm here watching yanks play rugby wrong.

Train down and my t-shirt I bought was made in Japan. 

I'll probably buy some Vietnamese made Nike stuff at the game tomorrow

So balls to my green credentials

Shame on you :D

Though you did say you were shopping in Oxford St....live for today fella.

Trump may solve the problems and nuke the entire world in the morning.