Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Extinction people

globaldiver

11 minutes ago, mickbrown said:

Why hasn’t some smart arse worked out how to run a car on water yet. 

H2O

Hydrogen - flammable 

Oxygen - flammable 

Because separating the molecules into the two elements takes more energy than it would be using them for combustion 

that’s why 

1 hour ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

You said a while back that big news was to come this year. Brought the car ban forward, and now the buses. Is this what you were referring to, or are we in for more good news?

Car ban has been mooted to be expedited but nowt concrete. 
buses we were advised of late last year

but there’s more to come. But maybe I will see it as exciting and you guys won’t so m but it’s very much needed and all part of the future. Sorry to be so cryptic 

• Site Supporter

I know it could probably be found by google, but thought I’d ask here, but how do heaters work in electric cars? No hot water to draw heat off . Would imagine electric resistance heaters is the obvious answer, but that would have a dramatic effect on battery life in winter when on constantly. 

1 minute ago, fatolive said:

I know it could probably be found by google, but thought I’d ask here, but how do heaters work in electric cars? No hot water to draw heat off . Would imagine electric resistance heaters is the obvious answer, but that would have a dramatic effect on battery life in winter when on constantly. 

Works off the battery. Not a massive drain really all things considered. 
i has a hybrid and best thing was you could set the car temp before you even get in.  So lay in bed freezing cold set it to 24 degrees and when you go out it’s all defrosted and warm inside. Also works in summer where you can cool it down. It’s magical. 

Big blow for the governments and industries who've been arguing that carbon capture will save us. But a welcome report nonetheless.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-51389404?utm_campaign=Carbon+Brief+Daily+Briefing&utm_medium=email&utm_source=Revue+newsletter&fbclid=IwAR06IfYfaKGBJLcIW0shes9XgsGgp3qlCi2DhLiiF3v6lKxUXva1M8U0fiM

Comes as no surpise really- considering it has been pushed the harderst by the oil and gas companies who want to use it to continue with increased drilling. 

I really hope we stop allowing these industries to set the agenda from now on- there just isn't the time. Solutions are pretty clear- a rapid and 'just' transition to renewables; a massive reforestation project worldwide and restoration of our coastal seawaters, soil and grasslands. Time for the government and industry to stop wasting time with piss solutions and listen to the science. 

Watched this in the cinema the other day- highly recommend it to anyone interested in how we can solve the issue using the things available to us now. 

• Site Supporter
7 minutes ago, Escobarp said:

Works off the battery. Not a massive drain really all things considered. 
i has a hybrid and best thing was you could set the car temp before you even get in.  So lay in bed freezing cold set it to 24 degrees and when you go out it’s all defrosted and warm inside. Also works in summer where you can cool it down. It’s magical. 

Imagine would work off the battery but are they regular heater elements or have they produce some efficient / different way of doing it? 

I have this image of a glowing red coil and fan draining the battery like fuck as you struggle with the choice of turning it off and freezing or leaving it on and going flat and needing to walk home. Possibly windscreens could be embedded circuit to keep that clear rather than de mister but blow heating would surley draw a lot or at least reduce the battery charge. 

Probably overthinking it but just interested in that and how they’d overcome any issue with it .

5 minutes ago, fatolive said:

Imagine would work off the battery but are they regular heater elements or have they produce some efficient / different way of doing it? 

I have this image of a glowing red coil and fan draining the battery like fuck as you struggle with the choice of turning it off and freezing or leaving it on and going flat and needing to walk home. Possibly windscreens could be embedded circuit to keep that clear rather than de mister but blow heating would surley draw a lot or at least reduce the battery charge. 

Probably overthinking it but just interested in that and how they’d overcome any issue with it .

Sorry yes electric resistance heaters. The tech side of things isn’t my bag I just dip in and out but can ask the question if you are that interested 

• Site Supporter
Just now, Escobarp said:

Sorry yes electric resistance heaters. The tech side of things isn’t my bag I just dip in and out but can ask the question if you are that interested 

Cheers, nah it’s ok, not obsessed or owt, was just asking as it’s freezing driving home tonight , there’ll be something else occupying my mind in half an hour, like who’s drank all the fucking milk meaning I have to go out again , real 1st world problems :D 

cheers though 

• Site Supporter
14 hours ago, Escobarp said:

Car ban has been mooted to be expedited but nowt concrete. 
buses we were advised of late last year

but there’s more to come. But maybe I will see it as exciting and you guys won’t so m but it’s very much needed and all part of the future. Sorry to be so cryptic 

Eee you tease! :)

look forward to whatever emerges.

Presumably, behind the scenes, government has been collaborating with industry to push for greener alternatives. A sudden announcement like this, while welcome, wouldn't have gone down well with the bus industry without any prior warning.

42 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Eee you tease! :)

look forward to whatever emerges.

Presumably, behind the scenes, government has been collaborating with industry to push for greener alternatives. A sudden announcement like this, while welcome, wouldn't have gone down well with the bus industry without any prior warning.

A lot going on and whilst I’m not privy to any Major detail I do know that there are very high level and advanced discussions underway around infrastructure for electric vehicles and allowing us as a country to achieve our aims in terms of Significant electrification of our vehicles 

• 2 weeks later...
19 minutes ago, miamiwhite said:

These lot did the same outside the Home Office the other day, why isn't anyone being arrested for criminal damage etc ?

Because it might upset someone. This type of person appears to be immune to the same laws and treatment as the rest of us. 

yet again they do something like this which will require a team of people to come down in motorized vehicles to undertake the work to repair the damage as well as the transport for the turf etc. but. They are saving the planet its all good. Ming boggling 

• Members
8 hours ago, Escobarp said:

Because it might upset someone. This type of person appears to be immune to the same laws and treatment as the rest of us. 

yet again they do something like this which will require a team of people to come down in motorized vehicles to undertake the work to repair the damage as well as the transport for the turf etc. but. They are saving the planet its all good. Ming boggling 

Good mob of football lads run round the corner, a quick kicking and disappear into the night.

Make them think twice in future?

5 hours ago, bolty58 said:

Good mob of football lads run round the corner, a quick kicking and disappear into the night.

Make them think twice in future?

I’ve suggested as much myself pal. Problem is the unwashed untouchables would probably be given compensation for their injuries. 
Look at the uproar when that scruffy cunt got pulled off the train/tube in London And got a shoeing a while back. I think he got off lightly but the snowflakes on here were aghast.