Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Extinction people

globaldiver

3 minutes ago, London Wanderer said:

I would love to read your definition of anarchy sometime mate. 

I'm not claiming it will work. We're fucked & it's too late. Which is why so many climate scientists are currently going through therapy. Happy days 😁🍺

The Oxford dictionary is available to all. It’s the same definition that it’s always been. 
We are not fucked and it’s not too late.

Many scientists disagree with the many scientists that are going through therapy. 
What’s the score?

32 minutes ago, Boby Brno said:

The Oxford dictionary is available to all. It’s the same definition that it’s always been. 
We are not fucked and it’s not too late.

Many scientists disagree with the many scientists that are going through therapy. 
What’s the score?

"A state of disorder due to absence or non-recognition of authority or other controlling systems".

By that definition you could argue XRs third demand around citizens assemblies could risk anarchy. But other than that they're generally calling for more authority on the issue. 

We lost fella... but it's just the league cup. Next Saturday should give us a clearer idea. 

I tend to fluctuate between waves of pessimism and then hope. It's the tipping points that are most worrying. 

Pinning the whitecoats against the whitecoats was also done by big tobacco in the 60s and then by oil companies more recently. We are now being told that we can drill for more oil and capture the carbon released at source by a technology that hasn't even been proven as being efficient. In some cases it's outright lies and in others it's denial. 

But yes, there's always hope. 

Edited by London Wanderer

1 hour ago, kent_white said:

However will you find out what's going on in the world?

:)

Very good point.

I only buy the weekend papers, to read and digest whilst having a bath.

31 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Yes it does. But push too hard and you won't bring the public with you or risk an economic collapse.

The interventions need to be carrot and stick, and investment in new technologies with some legislation to back it up.

I recently contacted vauxhall to enquire about their new electric van. (Sent details and they failed to respond, but that's another story). Some government contribution available but it would appear to be the best part of 40k to start with, so I won't be bothering. That's why it can't be foisted upon folk too quickly. 

40K ! Jeesus. 

You can have my cargo bike for £20. You will also have to trim the lawns with a scythe to cut back on the diesal 👍

How are folks with their gardens these days? Do people seem more aware about planting stuff to support the pollinators or are plastic lawns still in fashion? 

• Site Supporter
2 minutes ago, London Wanderer said:

40K ! Jeesus. 

You can have my cargo bike for £20. You will also have to trim the lawns with a scythe to cut back on the diesal 👍

How are folks with their gardens these days? Do people seem more aware about planting stuff to support the pollinators or are plastic lawns still in fashion? 

Plastic is still fashionable. As is the continued trend of bare earth in borders.

Definitely more awareness of insect friendly plants- have a watch of the channel 4 programme - Jimmy's big bee rescue. 

13 minutes ago, London Wanderer said:

40K ! Jeesus. 

I have a plastic lawn. Do you want me to calculate how much energy I’m saving by not cutting it once a week with my electric lawn mower for 7 months of the year? 
My plastic lawn is made from recycled plastic. Is that ok with you? I have a compost heap where I recycle all my garden and household waste. No one told me how to do this. I haven’t done any ‘modules’ at university. It’s just natural.

Edited by Boby Brno
Minor spelling

19 minutes ago, London Wanderer said:

"A state of disorder due to absence or non-recognition of authority or other controlling systems".

By that definition you could argue XRs third demand around citizens assemblies could risk anarchy. But other than that they're generally calling for more authority on the issue. 

We lost fella... but it's just the league cup. Next Saturday should give us a clearer idea. 

I tend to fluctuate between waves of pessimism and then hope. It's the tipping points that are most worrying. 

Pinning the whitecoats against the whitecoats was also done by big tobacco in the 60s and then by oil companies more recently. We are now being told that we can drill for more oil and capture the carbon released at source by a technology that hasn't even been proven as being efficient. In some cases it's outright lies and in other it's denial. 

But yes, there's always hope. 

Edited by Boby Brno

• Site Supporter
4 minutes ago, Boby Brno said:

I have a plastic lawn. Do you want me to calculate how much energy I’m saving by not cutting it once a week with my electric lawn mower for 7 months of the year? 
My plastic lawn is made from recycled plastic. Is that ok with you? I have a compost heap where I recycle all my garden and household waste. No one told me how to do this. I haven’t done any ‘modules’ at university. It’s just natural.

Got myself one of those old style push mowers for my postage stamp in the back. Its ace. 

3 minutes ago, Boby Brno said:

That's not okay with me mate. I'll be round with the eco warriors to D-lock myself to your gate until your sort it out. 

The plastic lawns was just a joke though, a way of asking TMJ if people were generally becoming more aware of our rapidly declining insect population. Biodiversity loss is a huge issue that is often overlooked when discussing the climate crisis. 

I'm sure you care as much as the next person about climate change and it's great that you're doing your bit. But individual consumer choice and actions won't be enough. I know folk who've given up meat because of deforestation in the Amazon, but then happily take 3 or 4 flights in a year. That's where we would need govn. intervention to tax frequent flyers, rather than relying on folk to make the sustainable choice. 

Yes the history modules comment made me sound arrogant, haha. It was only because you mentioned that I get all my info off Youtube and have never read a proper history book :)

6 minutes ago, London Wanderer said:

That's not okay with me mate. I'll be round with the eco warriors to D-lock myself to your gate until your sort it out. 

The plastic lawns was just a joke though, a way of asking TMJ if people were generally becoming more aware of our rapidly declining insect population. Biodiversity loss is a huge issue that is often overlooked when discussing the climate crisis. 

I'm sure you care as much as the next person about climate change and it's great that you're doing your bit. But individual consumer choice and actions won't be enough. I know folk who've given up meat because of deforestation in the Amazon, but then happily take 3 or 4 flights in a year. That's where we would need govn. intervention to tax frequent flyers, rather than relying on folk to make the sustainable choice. 

Yes the history modules comment made me sound arrogant, haha. It was only because you mentioned that I get all my info off Youtube and have never read a proper history book :)

TMJG could tell you more about environmental issues than you’ll ever know. It was you who told us about your modules. You do like to show links to YouTube stuff though. Fuck knows how we managed before 2005. 

• Site Supporter
13 minutes ago, mickbrown said:

I’ve never understood plastic grass. If I didn’t want grass I’d just have a bigger patio 

A softer feel than hardscaping. Good for the young uns to play on. Also drains much better than flagging.

Not for me neither, but each to their own.

Strangely, a lush, dense lawn isnt particularly 'eco' friendly. Monoculture and devoid of flowering plants that bees and hoverflies etc need.

Always a balance to be had.

13 minutes ago, mickbrown said:

I’ve never understood plastic grass. If I didn’t want grass I’d just have a bigger patio 

I have a patio (big patio) I also have a plastic lawn (big plastic lawn) 
The plastic lawn works out cheaper than the patio. 
If I just had a big patio It would be, well boring.

12 minutes ago, Boby Brno said:

TMJG could tell you more about environmental issues than you’ll ever know. It was you who told us about your modules. You do like to show links to YouTube stuff though. Fuck knows how we managed before 2005. 

I'm sure he could, always thought he has made lots of good points on here . I don't claim to be an expert on this, far from it. Most scientists would agree that the chances of modern civilisation continuing if we hit mid 3 or 4 degrees are pretty slim. We're heading for 3 degrees plus right now with no signs of emissions curbing. I'm yet to hit 30 years of age, so unless things change fast then the climate crisis will have a huge impact on my life and the future of my recently born niece. Would also like any kids I have of my own to be raised on a planet that is habitable. As we all would. 

I did - like I said. It was in defence to you telling me to read a proper book :) Never been the type to think that university modules make you an expert. As for Youtube - it depends on who you're watching on there and their credibility. 

22 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

A softer feel than hardscaping. Good for the young uns to play on. Also drains much better than flagging.

Not for me neither, but each to their own.

Strangely, a lush, dense lawn isnt particularly 'eco' friendly. Monoculture and devoid of flowering plants that bees and hoverflies etc need.

Always a balance to be had.

My lawn is no Wembley. Clover and daisies all over the shop, bees everywhere. 

1 hour ago, Boby Brno said:

I’ll repeat what I said in my very first interaction with you. This is a thread about the anarchist group ER. If you want to talk sensibly about climate change, many more people would contribute.

Out of interest....What have I said about climate change that isn't sensible? Or isn't backed up by scientific research?

9 minutes ago, London Wanderer said:

Out of interest....What have I said about climate change that isn't sensible? Or isn't backed up by scientific research?

I haven’t challenged your views on climate change.You’ve made some very valid points.  I’ve questioned your backing of ER.