Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Blackpool

burnden

17 minutes ago, paulhanley said:

The games against these is the biggest derby of the season by a mile. I dislike them. No loss at home against them since 1986. That's something worth maintaining. COYWM.

Same here

I've got my Dad's ticket for the 53 final along with his season ticket for that season in the Manny Road stand

My Dad was an absolute gentleman. Never a bad word for anyone (other than Louis Edwards and that bent club in Trafford - mentioned in another thread)

However...........even in his latter days, approaching 90 years old, racked with dementia, I would sit and talk to him about BWFC and get his memories from the 30's onwards, to try to stimulate him to get his memory going

Jesus Christ. That 53 final would light a fire under him. The Matthews Final - pah!! Only played well because Eric Bell was a passenger for a lot of the game with an injury and no subs were allowed in those days. Mortensen hat-trick - lucky - deflected first(?) goal

He hated the hype about Blackpool and that final. Bitter would be an understatement. Apparently we demolished them the first half and would have done more second half if Bell hadn't been injured. Never had a good word to say about Blackpool after that

One of those weird things that you inherit from your Dad. To my dying day I will always see Blackpool as our biggest local rivals. You follow your club thanks to your Dad, and you pick up his feelings

No sense in it at all really but there you go

1 hour ago, paulhanley said:

The games against these is the biggest derby of the season by a mile. I dislike them. No loss at home against them since 1986. That's something worth maintaining. COYWM.

That games a complete blank in my memory.  What score did they beat us? 

I went to my first away game in Blackpool in the mid 70s (0-1 loss). I've been about 9 or 10 times since and never seen us win there. I missed our 2-0 win in 77 (?)

30 minutes ago, MancWanderer said:

Same here

I've got my Dad's ticket for the 53 final along with his season ticket for that season in the Manny Road stand

My Dad was an absolute gentleman. Never a bad word for anyone (other than Louis Edwards and that bent club in Trafford - mentioned in another thread)

However...........even in his latter days, approaching 90 years old, racked with dementia, I would sit and talk to him about BWFC and get his memories from the 30's onwards, to try to stimulate him to get his memory going

Jesus Christ. That 53 final would light a fire under him. The Matthews Final - pah!! Only played well because Eric Bell was a passenger for a lot of the game with an injury and no subs were allowed in those days. Mortensen hat-trick - lucky - deflected first(?) goal

He hated the hype about Blackpool and that final. Bitter would be an understatement. Apparently we demolished them the first half and would have done more second half if Bell hadn't been injured. Never had a good word to say about Blackpool after that

One of those weird things that you inherit from your Dad. To my dying day I will always see Blackpool as our biggest local rivals. You follow your club thanks to your Dad, and you pick up his feelings

My Dad was the same about the 53 cup final in that he hated all the hype surrounding it & always said that the game was decided by Bolton injuries, not Matthews. He had contempt for Matthews who he claimed would often succumb to a mystery injury in the week leading up to a Bolton game because he didn't fancy facing Hartle & Banks. (fwiw he admired Tom Finney )

For me, rivalry has mostly stemmed from off the field stuff......apart from thuggery, the likes of Aldridge at Tranmere or the overall bellendery of Wolves, but Blackpool have never really registered.

2 hours ago, bolton va va said:

My Dad was the same about the 53 cup final in that he hated all the hype surrounding it & always said that the game was decided by Bolton injuries, not Matthews. He had contempt for Matthews who he claimed would often succumb to a mystery injury in the week leading up to a Bolton game because he didn't fancy facing Hartle & Banks. (fwiw he admired Tom Finney )

For me, rivalry has mostly stemmed from off the field stuff......apart from thuggery, the likes of Aldridge at Tranmere or the overall bellendery of Wolves, but Blackpool have never really registered.

Yeah my Dad loved Finney as he played with him in the same Lancashire Youth team as him. Finney was the winger and my Dad was one of the centre forwards. Matthews was an enigma for my Dad. He didn't like him, possibly for the reasons that you say, but I remember him saying that he would travel to non-BWFC games in the 50's just to watch him play he was that good. Same with Duncan Edwards. He had a massive hatred against the clubs but put it aside to watch the player. Different days to now!!!! 

20 hours ago, Duck Egg said:

That games a complete blank in my memory.  What score did they beat us? 

I went to my first away game in Blackpool in the mid 70s (0-1 loss). I've been about 9 or 10 times since and never seen us win there. I missed our 2-0 win in 77 (?)

It was 1-3 at home on Easter Monday in 85/6 played in wind, sleet, rain. We'd actually won 1-3 at Wigan on the Saturday, their first home defeat in about 40 games. So it was disappointing to lose the second derby. They'd not even played at Bolton for eight years. Yep - the 0-2 win with 25000 on at Bloomfield Road, half of them from Bolton. That was our last win there in any competition. The Freight Rover Northern Final thing was a draw - but a win over two legs.

20 hours ago, MancWanderer said:

Same here

There is no sense but that's exactly how I feel. More to the point it is exactly how they feel. This is a big game for a lot of people - but not everyone. I enjoy our win over these more than I do over Burnley and Preston and equal to Blackburn and Wigan. 

Both of my Grandads were the same about 1953 - circumstances conspired against us. Then in the 60s when we were in decline they had the indian sign over us for a bit. There was payback in the 70s to at least some degree but nonetheless. Bolton fans introduced to Burnden Park between 1953 and about 1990 do not like Blackpool. Bolton fans thereafter don't care so much.

• Moderators
47 minutes ago, paulhanley said:

It was 1-3 at home on Easter Monday in 85/6 played in wind, sleet, rain. We'd actually won 1-3 at Wigan on the Saturday, their first home defeat in about 40 games. So it was disappointing to lose the second derby. They'd not even played at Bolton for eight years. Yep - the 0-2 win with 25000 on at Bloomfield Road, half of them from Bolton. That was our last win there in any competition. The Freight Rover Northern Final thing was a draw - but a win over two legs.

Julian Darby debut?

And the Wigan game, the marc Gavin one 

They're nowhere near as unlikeable as Wigan but playing them more regularly and with the high chance we're going to cross paths repeatedly in the coming seasons might mean the rivalry is rekindled. Had some great days at the away fixtures there over last 5-6 years.

3 minutes ago, leigh white said:

No love lost between Bolton and B/Pool in the 70s and 80s.

For sure, heard some of the worst stories of the lot from our fixtures.

Think the away game is on 3rd round day just after new year this time so there's a chance it'll be a Tuesday night job again.