Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Blackpool

burnden

14 hours ago, ZicoKelly said:

I'm sure he was more central - had a look and Lee and Eagles also started, then Hall was hauled off for Sordell

in any case, that was not the match to hand the lad his debut and fuck around with the formation to accomodate him

Fanny5 thought and probably still thinks that the dour Freedman was great. 

• Site Supporter

Blackpool fans missed the point and lacked class last night with their "Going down - Going down - Going Down" jibes. Especially as they then started a stadium-wide chant of "Fuck the EFL!"

First of all, they really ought to realise that they were in a similar position to us a year or so earlier.

Secondly, they ought to have looked at our crowds while we were in the shit. Their style was to stop attending; ours was to support the team.

1 minute ago, MickyD said:

Blackpool fans missed the point and lacked class last night with their "Going down - Going down - Going Down" jibes. Especially as they then started a stadium-wide chant of "Fuck the EFL!"

First of all, they really ought to realise that they were in a similar position to us a year or so earlier.

Secondly, they ought to have looked at our crowds while we were in the shit. Their style was to stop attending; ours was to support the team.

Thought the same. They sang going down - as though we don't know - or care. We're coming back - no ifs, buts or maybes. 

Thought we started with Bridcutt playing too deep and Lowe and Crawford playing too high but after some early pressure we matched them everywhere and were definitely good enough for the draw. Hobbs did a good job of sorting the back 4 out and Emmanuel and Zouma both had better games. Verlinden looks a bit uninterested at times for me but he does have the ability.

Could have done without the police horse outside the hotel standing on my toe but I'm old enough to avoid these things and just got distracted for a minute..

Always the same Blackpool fans always concentrate more on us than their own team, like last time we played they was chanting "staying down, staying down, staying down.." when couldn't beat them. Piss poor they was booing their own team also at the end of the match, they are 4th in league ffs!  

Edited by Okocha10

A draw was probably about right. Our defence was strong - i've had my doubts about Zouma but that was his best game so far & Hobbs made a couple of tremendous last gasp blocks,- & our midfield matched them with young Graham doing a good job replacing Bridcutt.

The problem is still scoring goals or even creating clear cut chances ( Politic was a bit off the pace ) but Murphy & Dodoo have the potential to get a few when they're fully fit & settled in......i wouldn't swap either of them for that streak of piss that B/pool had upfront.

Losing Buckley & Bridcutt is a sickener but there were still lots of positives.  MOM - Lowe.

• Site Supporter
18 minutes ago, ErnestTurnip said:

Thought we started with Bridcutt playing too deep and Lowe and Crawford playing too high but after some early pressure we matched them everywhere and were definitely good enough for the draw. Hobbs did a good job of sorting the back 4 out and Emmanuel and Zouma both had better games. Verlinden looks a bit uninterested at times for me but he does have the ability.

Could have done without the police horse outside the hotel standing on my toe but I'm old enough to avoid these things and just got distracted for a minute..

bridcutt plays deep because the centrebacks cant pass for toffee. but yes the other two midfielders were too far away from him to collect.

some of our passing was forced and not as fluid as it has been.

i thought we looked fairly solid. no real heartstopping moments.

it'll come. of that i have no doubt. I just don't think we have enough games to give ourselves a chance.

it will be intresting to see how the players perform as the chance of staying up slips away.

we need goals and quick.

• Site Supporter
18 minutes ago, HomerJay said:

bridcutt plays deep because the centrebacks cant pass for toffee. but yes the other two midfielders were too far away from him to collect.

it'll come. of that i have no doubt. I just don't think we have enough games to give ourselves a chance.

it will be intresting to see how the players perform as the chance of staying up slips away.

we need goals and quick.

Agree on much of that.

Hill has recognised that Bridcutt is the man to sit a bit deeper and start things moving.

Also lowe further forward to press and break things down further up.

It was no coincidence that, in the second half, when lowe dropped deeper that our passing was less effective and we ended up playing more long diagonals and less through midfield.

Politic seemed a yard behind mentally, not always on the move earlier enough and was often nullified.

Quite like Crawford, trying to make things happen, and likes the ball.

Not got the engine to get up and down continually perhaps, but can't expect everything.

Can see Murphy's experience but still a bit off the pace perhaps.

Overall, I felt we weren't as good as we have been previously, and in that regard it was a little disappointing, however with injuries again a point isn't that bad.

Zouma mom for me. Been under the microscope but produced a mature display.

1 hour ago, HomerJay said:

we need goals and quick.

Once Bridcutt went off, we lost that short option, went longer more and lost the ball more

Him coming deep is generally a good thing!

Overall thought the result was about right. 

Starting to look a lot more solid at the back - culminating in not shipping goals.  Still not sure at the other end.

Thought the left back for Blackpool was superb giving our winger little or nothing.

As pointed out, we looked fit and lively as a team for at least 75 mins, so hopefully by the time Rochdale rock up, we should nearly be there.

Can't believe our injury bad luck, but hopefully 1 or 2 will be back for next match.

Decent turnout for a Monday night live on TV.

Lowe MOM for me.