Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

The Owners

TrickyTrotter

On 24/09/2019 at 17:25, Mounts Kipper said:

Yes I am happy with this appointment same old muppets will be along soon to call fouls because he’s PG son.

Two things we can agree on.

Taken from a comment on AG's appointment on another site:

'' social media is abound by those who don't know the first thing about anything, sounding off their annoyance at his appointment. We truly are surrounded by 4ucking imbeciles''.

I went to the BWSA meeting last night, which was free for all to attend, I took Junior along and met one other poster off here.

It was poorly advertised (Junior told me about it) and subsequently poorly (60-ish?) attended.

The evening was bizarre and incoherent to be honest. It was set up as a meet & greet of Hill & Flicker, then a brea, then some words from the club chaplain Phil Mason and then Emma Beaugeard (CEO) & Suzanne Speak (hotel) would be the speakers.

Keith & Dave did a bit of Q&A ; usual stuff ie who are your role models, how did you get into football etc etc

Then you could go and get your photo with them (Junior did, I didn't!)

Then Keith & Dave left and there was a break.

Phil Mason (club chaplain) gave a bit of an inspirational/motivational talk about Harry Gosling, leadership and the recent plight of the club and the need for us all to be together and consider the services the club has to offer next time you're hosting an event / looking for a hotel etc etc as every penny is vital and will help rebuild the club. Common sense really.

Then the talk from Emma & Suzanne never materialised, they just opened the floor for questions to them, but they remained sat at their table in the corner and never once stood up to address the audience.

Questions like
the supply of half time beer tokens? 
why are there still some old BWFC logos (ie ribbon badge) still on the windows of the suites?
why does the East Stand still say Macron in the seat pattern?
will we be hosting rugby again?

I despair sometimes at some of the things going through folk's minds.

On a positive note, the hotel has already got more than double the events booked for the coming year than for the last one.

Then they had the raffle and that was it.

My thoughts were that if it had been promoted properly, there'd have been hundreds there putting ore money in the bar till, just like Mr Mason was asking us to!

Edited by Traf

56 minutes ago, Traf said:

I went to the BWSA meeting last night, which was free for all to attend, I took Junior along and met one other poster off here.

It was poorly advertised (Junior told me about it) and subsequently poorly (60-ish?) attended.

The evening was bizarre and incoherent to be honest. It was set up as a meet & greet of Hill & Flicker, then a brea, then some words from the club chaplain Phil Mason and then Emma Beaugeard (CEO) & Suzanne Speak (hotel) would be the speakers.

Keith & Dave did a bit of Q&A ; usual stuff ie who are your role models, how did you get into football etc etc

Phil Mason (club chaplain) gave a bit of an inspirational/motivational talk about Harry Gosling, leadership and the recent plight of the club and the need for us all to be together and consider the services the club has to offer next time you're hosting an event / looking for a hotel etc etc as every penny is vital and will help rebuild the club. Common sense really.

Then the talk from Emma & Suzanne never materialised, they just opened the floor for questions to them, but they remained sat at their table in the corner and never once stood up to address the audience.

Questions like
why are there still some old BWFC logos (ie ribbon badge) still on the windows of the suites?

On a positive note, the hotel has already got more than double the events booked for the coming year than for the last one.

My thoughts were that if it had been promoted properly, there'd have been hundreds there putting ore money in the bar till, just like Mr Mason was asking us to!

Shocking that only 60 folk attended, this under lines my point that it was badly advertised and the supporters association needs a complete overhaul. 

The club could help them by promoting and supporting the association, perhaps free membership should be part of the season ticket and the marketing and promoting of the association could be brought under the clubs wing.

2 years ago I by chance witnessed Schalke on their winter break in a hotel near Benidorm, they had invited their supporters association (at supporters own cost) to the same hotel for a few days where the fans had access to the players, they put on an open training session and the players and fans mixed at a BBQ put on by the club, it was refreshing to see, this type of close relationship builds fan loyalty and brings players and fans together, would be fantastic if BWFC attempted to build something similar.  

Edited by Mounts Kipper

1 hour ago, Traf said:

Questions like

Goslin not Gosling.

I once tried quite hard  to get the Grauniad's David Conn to do a piece on Harry Goslin, the Burnden Park disaster and how Harry's son, Bob, prevented a disaster at Hillsborough in 1981.

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/sheffield-wednesday-chairman-said-bks-7392874

Conn wouldn't print the story but how come the Beeno knew none of this when Bob died in 2008?

https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/news/3626999.former-police-chief-dies-after-illness/

2 hours ago, Carlos said:

The BWSA advertised the event heavily themselves, I'm not sure what more they can do. The club themselves retweeted it.

Correct.

As far as I'm aware the BWSA is the 'recognised' and 'official' fan body in the eyes of the club - but is totally independent from it - and thus why it would not be up to the club to notify individual ST holders of the event, in just the same way they wouldn't notify Season Ticket holders of any Supporters Trust meetings.

The big difference in terms of getting the message of the meeting out was that of the local papers Chief Football Writer complete and utter silence on the matter, either by twitter - not event by means of a retweet - or flagging the event up in the paper.

He didn't attend last night and retweet just one comment on the night after the event had finished.

The event I remind you had the clubs manager, assistant manager, the CEO of Football Ventures, the Hotel Manager and the clubs Chaplin present.

Compare that to how Iles actively promotes (and attends!!!) the Supporters Trusts meetings (which to be fair are about as frequent of Preston Guilds these days - any sight of their long outstanding AGM/elections - or similarly over due accounts?  No, thought not!), which not only have NO club representation in attendance but have frequently been used to be negative towards the club owner and (more to the point) our future saviours, Mike James, FV and Eddie Davies Trust.

Another shining example of Iles utter bias and total lack of fair and responsible reporting to me - but of course I am totally obsessed by him apparently - or so I am told by some.

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, Roger_Dubuis said:

I reckon if the BWSA had asked the Bolton News to mention the event in the paper they would have done for free.

Blaming Marc Iles for a poor attendance at a BWSA event is being obsessive to be honest

A reasonable statement.

No need for anyone to be playing a blame game. Just ideas.

Seems reasonable to stick something (a meeting timetable for example) in the season ticket envelope for example.

2 hours ago, Roger_Dubuis said:

I reckon if the BWSA had asked the Bolton News to mention the event in the paper they would have done for free.

Blaming Marc Iles for a poor attendance at a BWSA event is being obsessive to be honest

Do you honestly think that Iles was completely unaware of a public meeting which included the clubs top paid employee, the manager and his assistant and the Hotel Manager?

Don't you think he might follow the football clubs twitter account - that DID tweet about the meeting?

Don't you think as someone PAID to report on the club, he might have bothered himself to attend the clubs 'official' supporters body and maybe even done a feature on Emma Beaugeard (her first public meeting in capacity as the clubs CEO) and also Suzanne Speak (good PR for feature for the hotel which was after all so crucial in the long and protracted take over of the club?

Even if you don't think he should have automatically tweeted and advertised the public meeting without being asked (do we know for sure he wasn't?) don't you think he at least should have attended in his capacity of the local newspapers football reporter - particularly following all that happened over the last several months?

Extremely strange then he didn't, didn't get anyone to go in his place, didn't bother to retweet either the BWSA tweet, or the clubs, retweet of theirs, didn't make any comments in his articles (or at least the ones I've seen) of last nights meeting - and to all intents and purposes completely 'blanked' the BWSA event of yesterday.

Certainly seems very strange behaviour to me.

Do you think he will completely ignore the next ST meeting - if of course they ever have one?

Spot on Sluffy. FV will know what a corrosive individual Iles can be even if his followers can't.

I think Iles sees himself as the champion of the workers against grasping mill owners without it ever dawning on him that the owners had been struggling to keep the mill open for decades, never able to afford the wages of the highest paid 'here today gone tomorrow' employees who, in turn, were not in the least bothered about the fate of the mill or the rest of the workforce.

FV have done everything they could to moderate their risk but they are taking a risk. Just wait and see what happens if their gamble doesn't come off or dare to take a profit if it does.

27 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

I agree with sluffy on this occasion, Iles really is playing at reporting on BWFC, could you imagine Gordon Sharrock not being present. 

I don't think Gordon Sharrock would have been there but Gordon Shorrock might have been.

Iles is usually hardworking and actually quite good at reporting on the footie. Its when he strays into other areas that he's a nightmare.

And btw, why do you think the name Goslin would resonate so loudly with me when Bob Goslin died in 2008 but did not seem to resonate at all with the Bolton Evening News? Had they never heard of Harry Goslin or the well-publicised part his son had played in avoiding a disaster at Hillsborough in 1981?

Edited by Chris Custodiet

On 25/09/2019 at 14:38, tomski said:

It seems pointless. I think most of us are now having a breather from 2/3 years off dross conversation about BWFCs finances and just want to concentrate on the games ahead.

No one knows what FV will do and we may as well sit back and enjoy the ride. FWIW I’m not sure your speculation is reasoned as I think FV don’t let anything out and long may it continue.

If you or anyone else wants to live in a football world bubble that is entirely up to you but in the real world the company that owns the club has to trade and that involves finance - there's simply no getting away from that - like it or not.

It's interesting to see Iles answer to a question in his match day blog about this matter today - 

Iles reply (from his blog) -

1:00pm

When it is ready to write. But to correct you - it's £40m of loan notes. The current business plan uses 52 per cent.

So I do indeed think my speculation is totally proved to be reasoned as FV certainly are not able to repay £20m plus from playing three years in the bottom tiers of the league, that it would appear that people obviously do know what FV are planning (they would not put up the money if they didn't) and FV have obviously let some of the plan be known if the least sharpest newshound, Iles from the Bolton News kennel, is already on the scent of it!

Apart from that have a nice day.