Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

The Owners

TrickyTrotter

• Members
On 18/01/2020 at 06:08, Escobarp said:

You know what this means

the return of custard.  Mark my words the word takeover is like blood in the water he will be back analyzing the balance sheet in short order 

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

1 hour ago, Mounts Kipper said:

Bit more detail on Kenyon's involvement. Still not convinced that there isn't more to it.

Not sure why there would be more to it? Brittan's MO is finding someone with significant industry experience to consult and advise - that's all they've done here. Kenyon helped them out during the takeover too. Kenyon is rich but not football club owner rich by himself. 

2 hours ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Whatever happens, I hope we don't drop our academy system and youth teams.

Just feels wrong.

It's not working at the moment, it used to be category 1, with great facilities for the first team. They competed for young local talent, to an extent, with City, United, Everton, Liverpool.  Since they've dropped to Cat 2, and sold off Euxton, they've been overtaken by Blackburn, Wigan, Burnley, Crewe, Stoke, who all have better facilities, more money, .They are now competing with PNE, Blackpool, Accrington, Fleetwood, Oldham.     

• Site Supporter
2 hours ago, peelyfeet said:

It's not working at the moment, it used to be category 1, with great facilities for the first team. They competed for young local talent, to an extent, with City, United, Everton, Liverpool.  Since they've dropped to Cat 2, and sold off Euxton, they've been overtaken by Blackburn, Wigan, Burnley, Crewe, Stoke, who all have better facilities, more money, .They are now competing with PNE, Blackpool, Accrington, Fleetwood, Oldham.     

13 minutes ago, Mannyroader said:

No bang for the buck.

Point taken gents, the obvious question is then, why do these other clubs bother?

Would it not be prudent for us to get appropriate staff in to improve things?

As for money, we've sold a few in recent times, which have helped keep the club afloat. If we're going to become sustainable, won't we need to bring a few more in to sell on- Darcy and politic have both had rumoured suitors. Young centre half may have a bit about him too.

My concern about the alternative route, is the ready availability and suitability of other clubs' cast offs. 

The more that adopt this route, the fewer pickings become available.

I also can't help feeling Brentford are still viewed as a small fish in amongst many bigger London clubs.

We, after the Manchester and Liverpool clubs are arguably as big as anything else around. Surely we can attract young kids, with a bit of investment into it. Put the Kunterson era well and truly behind us.

Perhaps a slimmed down, more efficient system of development with a bit of both methods?

5 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Perhaps a slimmed down, more efficient system of development with a bit of both methods?

Personally I hope they keep the academy and develop it. 

going Cat 2 in 2015 to save a couple of £mil a year, selling Euxton in 2016, the Anderson era, and large investment into academy facilities by clubs like Burnley and Wigan has made us less attractive over the last 4 years, for new recruits, than possibly 10 other local teams.

For those who we did recruit before this (U12 upwards), they will be being watched by scouts from the 10 teams, who can now offer them more coaching hours, more matches, better training facilities, a school place, transport to and from training etc, and much higher wages, at an earlier age, than we can  ( and can buy the players from us for very little (£25k per season that they have been at our academy from U12 onward)) 

We are unfortunate geographically because between U12- U14,  players can play for any academy within 1.5hrs drive from their home, so that includes academies in Liverpool, Lancashire, Greater Manchester, parts of Yorkshire, and North Midlands. 

From U14 -U17 it gets worse, because Cat 1 academies can offer a full time scholarship to anyone in the UK, so it brings in a host of other teams who can take our players.

It's going to be extremely difficult to keep the best players from being poached at an early age, if we stay as we are.

A lot of the recent academy lads who have come through to the first team,  Darcy etc, received most of their training when we were Cat 1, so it was easier for us to attract and keep them.

If we don't do something, we will be paying coaches to train up lads who get cherry picked, for little, if any, profit, and the players we will be left with at U17 won't be good enough to make it, which means we then have to recruit for the 1st team.

Huddersfield closed their academy up to U17, a few years ago, for the same reason; all their best prospects were getting snapped up by bigger academies before making it into the 1st team.

Currently Wigan seem to get first dibs on all the Liverpool and Everton cast offs, and Burnley and Blackburn get the United and City players before us, so we need to change something.  

We need to improve the academy facilities if we want to attract and retain players like we did in the past, or scrap it altogether and concentrate on the 1st team pathway from U17 upwards.

I hope it's the former.

As others have said, if on a day to day basis we can't run the club with its currently capped wage bill on average crowds of circa 10k there's no hope (for us or any other club). 

However running costs and capital investment are different things. To move forward, refurbish the stadium,  get a better squad when allowed, pay off historic large bills for admin, etc we appear to need new investment. 

If FV haven't got it, they need to bring in new partners who have.

Have people forgotten how the takeover was partly  funded? And that the money they put in iirc was via loan notes and is repayable I’m 30months as such any club owner would be prudent to be looking forward and taking that into account 

plus we never believed well I didn’t that there was pots of cash available so I’m not sure what anyone’s getting uptight about. 

folk need to chill the fuck out and let them do what they are doing.  They’ve done a wonderful job so far so why don’t we just let them get on with it instead of the hysteria starting again 

Edited by Escobarp

• Site Supporter
3 minutes ago, TrickyTrotter said:

As others have said, if on a day to day basis we can't run the club with its currently capped wage bill on average crowds of circa 10k there's no hope (for us or any other club). 

However running costs and capital investment are different things. To move forward, refurbish the stadium,  get a better squad when allowed, pay off historic large bills for admin, etc we appear to need new investment. 

If FV haven't got it, they need to bring in new partners who have.

Agree, though I'd have thought they'd have had the money to pay the administrator sorted already. Not an unknown, and presumably the efl would want to see evidence of that prior to takeover.

Not worried at all.

Just now, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Agree, though I'd have thought they'd have had the money to pay the administrator sorted already. Not an unknown, and presumably the efl would want to see evidence of that prior to takeover.

Not worried at all.

They haven’t said they don’t have the money can someone show me where that’s been said? 

what’s been said is they are not yet in a position to pay them as they are still agreeing the figure which they hope to do this year. Admin is a complex business and there will be costs and claims in there that fv will be disputing and rightly so. This isn’t unusual.