Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

The Owners

TrickyTrotter

33 minutes ago, Roger_Dubuis said:

Having a manager and both a Director of Football and CEO below the owner seems one job and wage too many for a lower divisions club to me.In Bolton's most successful era since the Nat Lofthouse days Allardyce and Gartside did those 3 jobs between them.And Gartside seemed to fit in his job with going to Australia working for other businesses he was involved with.

That FV are spending money on management with football experience fills me with a little more confidence, rather have Hill and Flicker making all the calls.     

Edited by Mounts Kipper

49 minutes ago, Roger_Dubuis said:

Having a manager and both a Director of Football and CEO below the owner seems one job and wage too many for a lower divisions club to me.In Bolton's most successful era since the Nat Lofthouse days Allardyce and Gartside did those 3 jobs between them.And Gartside seemed to fit in his job with going to Australia working for other businesses he was involved with.

CEO should have nowt to do with on-field stuff.

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, Mounts Kipper said:

That FV are spending money on management with football experience fills me with a little more confidence, rather have Hill and Flicker making all the calls.     

I've said since FV came in, it's probably going to take until summer at least to get the people on board we need to start making the fight back - i'm talking off field staff, both football side and commercial etc.

Once these are in place, then it's time to sort out the playing side. Bring in decent kids who might be a few years away from 1st team level all the while trying to make a success of it on the field. It's a long way back but certainly not out the question

• 4 weeks later...

Not sure the tone is right in that article - in essence this seems to be about cost-cutting - whilst I think it all makes sense for where we're at - U23 seems a bit pointless for a L2 side where your best 18/19 year olds will be with the 1st team squad...Its really a puff piece to say we're cutting costs - again understandable - but "exciting transformation" is a bit much!

Not sure I'm a fan of this, I understand Brentford do a similar model and it's part of the fabled 'moneyball' approach. 

But I think it's a bit short sighted in terms of player development and perhaps feels like we're resigned to life as a feeder club living at this level. I understand that may be the reality of what we have become but it still doesn't sit right with me. 

2 minutes ago, Anderson said:

Not sure I'm a fan of this, I understand Brentford do a similar model and it's part of the fabled 'moneyball' approach. 

But I think it's a bit short sighted in terms of player development and perhaps feels like we're resigned to life as a feeder club living at this level. I understand that may be the reality of what we have become but it still doesn't sit right with me. 

Not sure on the logic - how does having an U23 team stop you being a "feeder club"? Isn't it about fast-tracking players into the team earlier?

2 minutes ago, bwfcfan5 said:

Not sure on the logic - how does having an U23 team stop you being a "feeder club"? Isn't it about fast-tracking players into the team earlier?

Because your first team becomes a shop window for talent, rather than developing them within the club in the hope they're part of your future progression, they're brought in earlier than usual in the hope they look good enough for a 'big' club to give you a few mil. 

2 minutes ago, Anderson said:

Because your first team becomes a shop window for talent, rather than developing them within the club in the hope they're part of your future progression, they're brought in earlier than usual in the hope they look good enough for a 'big' club to give you a few mil. 

I'm just not sure that a club in our position, regardless of structure, is holding back a promising 18 year old to keep him hidden from other clubs.....I just don't buy that. Clubs have them taken at 17 straight from academies for peanuts.... This way if they are that good they play 50 games for us, help us win points then make us a big fee. That's surely a better way. 

So if a player hasn't shown up as being good enough for a place in the first team squad by age 18, or maybe 19 for some, then it is thank you and goodbye. I think that is fair enough.

Scouting will need to concentrate on those released from bigger clubs in the area. 

18 minutes ago, Flannel Truscott said:

Cat 1 to Cat 3 in 5 years. 

Anyone know the difference between 2 and 3?

it means less hours coaching, less coaches per player ratio.

It means the academy will be playing other CAT 3 teams instead of CAT 1 and 2 - so instead of playing Liverpool, Everton, City, United, Burnley Wigan we play Morecambe, Rochdale, Oldham, PNE, Fleetwood, Shrewsbury etc

4 minutes ago, peelyfeet said:

it means less hours coaching, less coaches per player ratio.

It means the academy will be playing other CAT 3 teams instead of CAT 1 and 2 - so instead of playing Liverpool, Everton, City, United, Burnley Wigan we play Morecambe, Rochdale, Oldham, PNE, Fleetwood, Shrewsbury etc

Also depressing reading. 

So the lads we do bring through are up against shite as well? 

We're already competing with so many other clubs in the area, not sure how offering less will aid us in any way. This is disheartening news. 

Just now, Anderson said:

Also depressing reading. 

So the lads we do bring through are up against shite as well? 

We're already competing with so many other clubs in the area, not sure how offering less will aid us in any way. This is disheartening news. 

Half of them shit clubs are better than we are. JSL.

• Site Supporter
5 minutes ago, LeggyMountbatten said:

How will cutting back expenditure on the Academy to the same level as Morecambe "support Bolton Wanderers back on its way to top flight football" as the statement says?

FV are skint.

I'd probably say being very careful with their money - i'm sure they wouldn't say no to an investor or 2 coming on board though.

4 minutes ago, jmjhb said:

I believe it means we get less compensation in the event of one of our youngsters getting poached 

goes down to £12,500 per year from £25,000 per year compensation for every year that a player is in the academy from U12-U16

Realistically it means that a local young talent would have the choice of joining City, Utd, Liverpool, Everton, Blackburn, Burnley, Wigan, Stoke, Crewe (possibly Leeds) before us, if they wanted to pick a higher rated academy from age 8 upwards.