Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

The Owners

TrickyTrotter

4 hours ago, masi 51 said:

Apart from Kevin Davies I cannot think of a player  we have signed from another English club whose stock rose once he played for us.

Why did we not take a punt on players like Dean Ashton, Danny Murphy, Robbie Savage , Neil Lennon, Jamie Vardy  Danny ings

All released or went for next to nothing from local clubs.....You could proberbly add another 30 names on top of those yet we overlooked all these.

Kevin Davies was watched by Bolton  when he was at Chesterfield and we passed one of reasons being his size . Not sure if it was before or after he scored a hat trick against us but there you go. 

37 minutes ago, snowball said:

Kevin Davies was watched by Bolton  when he was at Chesterfield and we passed one of reasons being his size . Not sure if it was before or after he scored a hat trick against us but there you go. 

Chesterfield fan at the time told me after he scored the hat trick that they offered him to us. He was always out on the piss and they wanted rid 

3 hours ago, Mounts Kipper said:

Vardy was a massive miss, playing locally when we were in the prem could of nicked him for a million he could of made the difference if we’d of signed him, wonder if our scouts had a look. 

I understand that we considered Vardy and were offered him when he was at Halifax.

apparently we rejected him as too old.

just watch this video of him, you wouldn’t sign him would you? 😂 

9 hours ago, Mounts Kipper said:

Agree on the scouting and player selection you can go back to missing out on Alan Ball and Martin Dobson, it’s always been very poor. 

Martin Dobson was our youth product we just played him as a striker & sold him to Burnley who played him midfield .

Alan Ball brought his dad along so we fcked him off 😆

1 hour ago, masi 51 said:

In fact I would say going all the way back to Rioch our signings of English players has just not been good enough.

Look at Rioch s team   Brannigan, Stubbs McAteer, Lee, McGinley,Thomson...walker,coyle and mixu all signed for next to nothing bought  to the club and all went at a profit

9 Players who we bought for peanuts and went on to give the club good service..We have not had 9 players do that in the 25 years since

We've had a number of players ovee the years who we signed for nothing but went on to give great club service. Not many made a profit but that's mostly because we'd progessed to a high enough level that they didn't need to be sold.

Jaaskelainen, Gardner, Bergsson, Frandsen, Kevin Davies, N'Gotty, Okocha, Djorkaeff, Stelios, Campo, Diouf, Speed

That's just off the top of my head. There are probably more I've forgotten about.

7 minutes ago, Escobarp said:

I suspect faal’s highlight reel from this season and last is similar. But chino knows his onions and chooses not play him as he’s nowhere near ready 

Faal might come good (I certainly hope he does anyway) but there looks to be fair gap in ability between his highlights and the early Vardy videos.

31 minutes ago, Lt. Aldo Raine said:

Faal might come good (I certainly hope he does anyway) but there looks to be fair gap in ability between his highlights and the early Vardy videos.

Agree,  both seem to have pace, but Vardy has proved he is also is a natural finisher. 

Edited by Mounts Kipper

21 hours ago, masi 51 said:

The scouting has been the problem down the years at Bolton. Players like Dale Stephens, Ashley Fletcher are Born in the town yet they slipped the net, then Craig Dawson was playing for Radcliffe  Boro. Then we had Brookes and Ramsdale at b/mouth as kids Them two alone would cost £30m.

Craig Dawson. Interesting  one. Which manager gave him a chance in the league? 

On 05/03/2020 at 23:08, masi 51 said:

The scouting has been the problem down the years at Bolton. Players like Dale Stephens, Ashley Fletcher are Born in the town yet they slipped the net, then Craig Dawson was playing for Radcliffe  Boro. Then we had Brookes and Ramsdale at b/mouth as kids Them two alone would cost £30m.

I’d bet every club in the country could say similar about young folk they missed

Im not saying that the scouting is good enough but it happens everywhere that

On 05/03/2020 at 23:08, masi 51 said:

Are you sure on Brookes it says he started at Man City at 7 then went to sheff u. 

26 minutes ago, Mannyroader said:

I think we could have taken him on when he left City, but we passed on him. Not kicked a ball all this season.

He’s a quality player though and your have to wonder if our selection of players was up to scratch. 

Edited by Mounts Kipper

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, jules_darby said:

I’d bet every club in the country could say similar about young folk they missed

Im not saying that the scouting is good enough but it happens everywhere that

Any area with a glut of football clubs in a small area also have a glut of choice. Some parents pick a club where chances to succeed are greater rather than be blinded by the promises of great things IF their lad gets on. 

18 hours ago, Lt. Aldo Raine said:

We've had a number of players ovee the years who we signed for nothing but went on to give great club service. Not many made a profit but that's mostly because we'd progessed to a high enough level that they didn't need to be sold.

Jaaskelainen, Gardner, Bergsson, Frandsen, Kevin Davies, N'Gotty, Okocha, Djorkaeff, Stelios, Campo, Diouf, Speed

That's just off the top of my head. There are probably more I've forgotten about.

Gardner Fransen and Diouf all 7 figure fees.....I will give you Bergsson the rest all established on big contracts

I am talking about young English players who played local and we never picked them up.

1 hour ago, masi 51 said:

Gardner Fransen and Diouf all 7 figure fees.....I will give you Bergsson the rest all established on big contracts

I am talking about young English players who played local and we never picked them up.

I know, but I assumed you'd moved onto bargains in general because from the players you listed in Rioch's team only Lee and McAteer fit the bill of a young English player who played locally (I know McAteer played for Ireland, but still), and even then Lee went down south before he ended up here. We still picked up bargains after Rioch, we just found a different market.

Finding young English or British talent is something we're now going to have to do again, but I think a lot of that has to do with us dropping to the level we're now at.