Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Rotherham (a)

W.cramp

They say football is a results driven industry. 

I disagree when you see the masses of Wanderers and friendships forged over many years, nay decades, and the new unity we have. Today being another example.

Three weeks ago I was physically and mentally drained when it was reported the liquidation button was being pressed the following day at 09:00am.

After everything we have been through, some more than others, the fact is we are still here under a new regime that we can all relate to and there will be teams throughout the lower leagues that can only wish to have the numbers and passion that we take all over the country. 

Born to be a Wanderer. 

4 minutes ago, only1stig said:

I disagree when you see the masses of Wanderers and friendships forged over many years, nay decades, and the new unity we have. Today being another example.

Three weeks ago I was physically and mentally drained when it was reported the liquidation button was being pressed the following day at 09:00am.

After everything we have been through, some more than others, the fact is we are still here under a new regime that we can all relate to and there will be teams throughout the lower leagues that can only wish to have the numbers and passion that we take all over the country. 

Born to be a Wanderer. 

Agreed and well put.

The support was fantastic today - once again.

Even after all these years it still makes me proud when i see the first fan with a Wanderers shirt on when i first land at an away game, also hearing our fans today - loud and proud.

We'll be back.

What did people expect? Christ. Some real angry types behind me. On players back from kick off. We scored. But this is a team of strangers and if we are honest with ourselves even if they’d had a pre season and were fully fit and organised, it’s still a group of cast offs.

But today is the start of a long journey back. It’s going to take a long time not happen overnight. 

32 minutes ago, burnden said:

I thought he should have done much better for 3rd, 4th and 6th.

Of those 3, I'd say the 3rd could have been saved, but watching it 'live' it all happened so quick, I think he was wrong footed.  Not defending him, just think he would have had to be massively sharp to react in time.  The 4th was a header from point blank range by a striker in form, not sure how he was supposed to save that.  6th, no idea what you mean, the defender put him in no man's land with that attempted clearance, no blame to the keeper at all.

10 minutes of dreamland and 80 minutes of reality.

we did ok in spells, but they were quicker, faster, stronger and more direct.

we had Buckley, O’Grady and Murphy not playing so small steps.

great to see the support right to the end and it will get better.

on the goalie front, I thought Matthews was at fault for at least 1 - when he spilled a simple cross, cost us a goal at Wycombe.  Granted had a lot to do in all games, but I bet hill will ring the changes to see what we have.

31 minutes ago, radcliffewhite1 said:

No but he has conceded a shit load 

he needs a break 

I agree, if we've got an adequate stand in (Alnwick), we should be rotating especially when there's a midweek game.  To be fair the same could be said of Hobbs, we can debate how much at fault he was, but the fact is 5 of the 6 goals today (all but the excellent 1st goal) was scored from his territory.

4 minutes ago, bwfcfan5 said:

What did people expect? Christ. Some real angry types behind me. On players back from kick off. We scored. But this is a team of strangers and if we are honest with ourselves even if they’d had a pre season and were fully fit and organised, it’s still a group of cast offs.

But today is the start of a long journey back. It’s going to take a long time not happen overnight. 

It seemed like an eternity watching us getting relegated from Division One in 80, to getting back on track to the promised land in the Prem in 95. It was a struggle, but we stood by the team with the bad times and the great times.

38 minutes ago, only1stig said:

Born to be a Wanderer. 

Well said.  Its a wierd feeling to lose 6-1 and not be absolutely gutted.  But like you say it doesnt even come close to that feeling of dread that I've had for much of the last x number of months and even years that we might not exist.  And we are in good hands.  If we'd won 10-0 today but Bassini was in charge and Parky had signed a 5 year contract I'd be less happy than I am now.

• Site Supporter

FWIW

murphy and/or weir ahead of lowe was a dogshit shout. be suprised if it happens tuesday.

matthews is fine, but id prob still take him out of the firing line. its a lot of goals to conceed for any keeper.

hobbs is poor, i was suprised we signed him again, but beggars cant be choosers and all that.

no point in commenting on new players. too early yet. but bridcutt looks very decent!

all in all, the team just need time to gel. no concerns here. onward and upward.

Edited by HomerJay

Having a few of seniors being injured today didn’t help one bit today either, Murphy, O’Grady & Buckley all not playing. Hopefully they will be fit on Tuesday & we will see a difference. Like to see how we play with someone with a bit of presence upfront even though we  are conceding left right & centre 

Edited by Okocha10

A reality check, but to be expected really, with so many new to us but ringrusty ( & some who may not be good enough ) players to try & gel into a team. Hill is having to experiment on the hoof  - shifting Emmanuel away from full back & trying unsuccesfully with 3 different players up front during the game. We're screaming out for a striker/forward who can hold the ball up.

Positives ......A nicely worked goal, Bridcutt looks like a good player, Lowe should be starting every game & the support was top class again....a pity a small number had to flounce early.

& Rotherham were possibly the best team we've played so far. The difference in their teamwork & ours was clear....& understandable.

To the bell ends who screamed at the team & highlighted every mistake today & then left early, please fuck off.

Wycombe away was a bloody brilliant moment in time without numpties.

The team need to gel, we need a unit upfront, we need Bridcutt to sign for 3 years & we need Alnwick back.

OINO