Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Rotherham (a)

W.cramp

3 hours ago, bolty58 said:

As Hoppy said, we exist. Nothing else matters this season.

We all know that there will be a few highs against many lows so enjoy them when they do come along.

I think if we get any points  from our September fixtures they should be seen as a bonus  . 

In his head KH will be looking to having us competitive by the time the Blackpool fixture comes around at the beginning of October 

Points away from home against the likes of Rotherham and Portsmouth and home to Sunderland  ( 3 of the 5 favourites to win promotion this season ) would never be easy no matter what stage of this season you play  them  ,even with a proper fit squad in place ,  so  playing them over this next couple of weeks is a positive in my book . 

If come November we are losing by 4 and 5  to the likes of Accrington and Fleetwood , then that's the time to start asking questions 

• Site Supporter

It's fitness that's letting us down at the moment, no lack of effort.

It will come. If we are writing this season off we'll have the fittest team in L2. Match by match all we can hope for is an improvement this season. It didn't happen yesterday and probably won't at all this week but we're still battling.

In Aunty Sharon we trust.

I got a sense of a different kind of vibe from sections of our "support" yesterday.

Clearly the stress of relentlessly encouraging the U-23's has forced some back into their old ways of moaning their bollocks off all the way through the game, now that we've got a team of senior pros.

Let's have it straight : this is a hastily thrown together rag tag assortment of loans and freebies who nobody else wanted on the last day of trading, after several other deals we chased were rejected after the agents wanted too much money. We got 9 in, but I don't think many would have been in Hill's top 10 targets to be honest.

How many of them have done a full pre-season?
How many of them have played any football since May?

We had a left back turn out with the ink still wet on his contract and I thought he was possibly our best player. We had a willingness to attack, which was refreshing, but the defence obviously needs working on as a unit, as they didn't seem to know where each other was.

That said, ignore the pre-game league table : Rotherham were the best side we've faced so far. Quick, strong/physical, big lads, well drilled/organised. This season is a virtual write-off anyway, let's be happy we've games to go to and let's give the owners/managers/coaches and players time to gel etc.

PS FWIW, I reckon Rotherham would have put double figures past the team we put out in previous games.

Edited by Traf

10 hours ago, ianofcleveleys said:

Anybody who got giddy and thought we'd start winning from today was deluded. If we win one this month I'll be pleasantly surprised. Going to be another difficult season to watch but we need to stick together, be patient and keep getting behind the team. Even 9/10 signings still leaves us with a threadbare squad, and a lot of those signing were available for a reason

guilty was just more hope that we wouldnt get hammard again. 

• Site Supporter
11 hours ago, jeep said:

Another great away day following our team. 

Today's a reality check, we're going down so stop stressing about formations, how shit certain players are, the manager chewing spiggy,  etc, etc....

Just be thankful that we've got games to go to. That we can get pissed watching the Wanderers, have a crack with other supporters and each other.

Those who left at 3 or 4 down don't bother coming again. You obviously don't get it.

Coywm 

Chewing spiggy like that was just plain bad manners. No excuse, nothing to do with the club's current plight.

In fairness it's not just him, it's a bugbear of mine.

The rest I'll agree with.

• Site Supporter
11 hours ago, LeggyMountbatten said:

They’ll get a free pass because they’ve not been together long but that was a disgraceful performance today. It’s been two weeks supposedly they’ve been on the training ground together but it didn’t look like that today. Verlinden and Politic look great in possession but are a complete liability when we don’t have the ball hence the number of times the full backs were overloaded two vs. one. They only player I saw put in a tackle all day was Lowe. Very, very poor. Regardless of the circumstances. Emmanuel looked like he is running through treacle all the time. Massive, massive mountain to climb.

Dogshit

I missed our goal, train broke down on the tracks at Sheffield and nobody bothered to tell us, got a black bomber to rotherham and just got in for them to equalise.   The Rotherham fan, in the adidas shirt waving his wallet and cash at us on the left hand stand needs to grow a pair before he becomes a cropper some match, some fan will take him to the cleaners one day.

15 minutes ago, Breightmet Boy said:

I missed our goal, train broke down on the tracks at Sheffield and nobody bothered to tell us, got a black bomber to rotherham and just got in for them to equalise.   The Rotherham fan, in the adidas shirt waving his wallet and cash at us on the left hand stand needs to grow a pair before he becomes a cropper some match, some fan will take him to the cleaners one day.

We were on the same train. Fucking shambles to to not communicate what was going on.

We missed our's and there first goal.

16 minutes ago, jeep said:

We were on the same train. Fucking shambles to to not communicate what was going on.

We missed our's and there first goal.

There was a woman trying to get it started and two guards stood there doing nothing.  On the way back they announced three cancellations due to 'driver shortages, why they didn't tell us to make our own way i dont know?

Purposely  left my post until today giving time to reflect .

we need to stop conceding first , they have their work cut out as we look weak when attacked from the wings and we look like conceding every time a cross comes in.

i think we need another centre half 

good teams are built on a strong defence.

expected to lose yesterday but not by 5.

roll on Tuesday ....COYWM 

• Site Supporter
2 minutes ago, CSBWFC said:

we need to stop conceding first , they have their work cut out as we look weak when attacked from the wings and we look like conceding every time a cross comes in.

We scored first yesterday.

1 hour ago, Breightmet Boy said:

Exactly same here but fortunately just arrived in the stand  for our goal. Missed the train at Sheffield I was aiming for to get back down here as the rattler they had on at 5.30 from Rotherham had only one carriage. Absolute shambles - HS2 my arse, we can't even operate a fleet of converted buses.

6 minutes ago, CSBWFC said:

Sorry mate , comma in wrong place 

should have been after "conceding"

2 hours ago, Breightmet Boy said:

Two Rotherham fans sat close to away end, one in navy stone island jumper. Total knob heads. 

Went over at full time and told him outside now was gonna rip his fucking  head off. 

At least Hill and Flitcroft can be in doubt about the task that lies ahead now. Love their optimism but thought Hill's post match comments had a bit of the Owen Coyle about them, still it's early doors. The team will surely get fitter and develop some sort of understanding in the weeks ahead but as to whether they'll get to the point of being truly competitive against the less strong teams I can only hope.

I know Rotherham could’ve had more, but I thought we were a little unfortunate to be 3-1 down at half time. Politic and Verlinden (especially) both put it wide when they should’ve at least hit the target.

Lowe was decent when he came on, but I thought we struggled a bit more when Weir got injured.

As has been the case all season, we sorely lacked someone to hold the ball up.

Bridcutt looked great for the most part and the amount of talking he does off the ball is something else. 

Emmanuel was getting a world of abuse around me, and I honestly don’t think he was that bad. Better going forward than defensively mind. 

• The topic was unpinned
7 hours ago, Traf said:

I got a sense of a different kind of vibe from sections of our "support" yesterday.

Clearly the stress of relentlessly encouraging the U-23's has forced some back into their old ways of moaning their bollocks off all the way through the game, now that we've got a team of senior pros.

Let's have it straight : this is a hastily thrown together rag tag assortment of loans and freebies who nobody else wanted on the last day of trading, after several other deals we chased were rejected after the agents wanted too much money. We got 9 in, but I don't think many would have been in Hill's top 10 targets to be honest.

How many of them have done a full pre-season?
How many of them have played any football since May?

We had a left back turn out with the ink still wet on his contract and I thought he was possibly our best player. We had a willingness to attack, which was refreshing, but the defence obviously needs working on as a unit, as they didn't seem to know where each other was.

That said, ignore the pre-game league table : Rotherham were the best side we've faced so far. Quick, strong/physical, big lads, well drilled/organised. This season is a virtual write-off anyway, let's be happy we've games to go to and let's give the owners/managers/coaches and players time to gel etc.

PS FWIW, I reckon Rotherham would have put double figures past the team we put out in previous games.

I liked Chicksen, at least on the ball if not defensively, but clearly Bridcutt was easily our best player, as he should be.  A Championship player with a full pre-season and probably friendlies behind him, compared to the likes of Emmanuel who looks overweight and unfit.  A little bit bizarre that he was preferred to Lowe and Brockbank at this stage.  Yes Rotherham may have put double figures passed us, I'm grateful that our early season away thrashings were against teams that may not be top half as that fact kept it to 5 in each game.  Sunderland or Pompey away could have been embarrassing, and still might be, but I'm grateful for small mercies.

4 hours ago, BoltonBoy80 said:

Two Rotherham fans sat close to away end, one in navy stone island jumper. Total knob heads. 

Went over at full time and told him outside now was gonna rip his fucking  head off. 

That couple in front of him were his mum and dad.

we passed them all walking up to the main road after.

there are some very odd folk that support rotherham