Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

New dawn for fans.

frank_spencer

• Members
1 hour ago, gonzo said:

They should leaflet drop all the mosques and kebab shops as well. Get the ray guns involved.

Often thought that such a big percentage of the local community has been completely overlooked , deffo missing a trick .....Have a look at the Punjabi Wolves lads as an example ....They have a big turnout home and away for them , loud and lively .

All of the above is aimed at getting the Bolton public through the turnstiles - and boiled down that's what we need. In some ways it doesn't matter who the owner is  - the universal truth is that if the club (any club) is to progress, its income from gates is key. So the town needs to decide whether it wants a successful football club or not. If it does it needs to back it, tangibly. And not just the die-hards on here. 

I hate getting in to this territory because it has to be fully acknowledged that it is financially difficult for some people, others live a long distance from Bolton (me) and there are all kinds of other circumstances that stop people attending. But this season and next (strong chance of League 2) people just need to rediscover the habit and the joy of Saturday afternoon supporting their town's team through thick and thin. 

As a town we need to be minimising the sub 10,000 gates, preferably averaging 11/12000 even in the difficult season ahead and next year. Then we can push on.

It really is down to the people of Bolton and the surrounding areas - we can help kick-start this ourselves if we consistently make the efforts.

Edited by paulhanley

It might not seem related to the thread (it is) but how many season tickets are people expecting us to sell for this season ?

When I was asking if anyone knew capacity of the lower home tiers the other day I was wondering how many seats would be available for one off fans/walk ons after season tickets, and also further to that what happens to LoV hospitality if the ESU is closed ?

Edited by ErnestTurnip

I don't know who owns the land, but I've always thought it would be a good idea to have a path down the wasteland between the lanes on De Havilland Way with maybe a bridge then crossing at the stadium

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Macron+Stadium/@53.5800582,-2.5317742,489m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x487b09aab37003ad:0x4ea3dea69347d31c!8m2!3d53.5813723!4d-2.5369749

Getting dangerous walking back now as thousands walk on the road.    Clear out that wasteland, get a decent walkway in with some stalls, burger vans.   Proper approach to the stadium .

43 minutes ago, Hoppy510 said:

And your target market is? No it's a great idea for outside the ground and for a certain section of the fans, but I reckon there could and should be a lot more happening inside the ground as well and for a broader audience. Need a bit more interest and glitz than dancing teenage birds if we're going to increase the fanbase. It needs to be a circus of and for the local community or perhaps more of a showcase.

Target market?
Everyone. Obviously there'd need to be stuff to occupy the kids etc 

You go away from home and watch Bolton and the atmosphere is tremendous. There's all ages from babes in arms to 90yr olds all having a great time and mixing freely.

That atmosphere is what we need to replicate. Make coming to a home game appealing again, and not a chore whereby you want to arrive at 2.55pm (or later) and get out 5mins before the end. Make it so folk want to get there at 12-1.00 and be able to pop back in for a pint after the game.

If they're using the old Fanzone area, then the access to/from ESL should also be open for as long as the fanzone is in operation, so folk can go and have a sit down with a drink at half time if they want to. Not everyone likes standing up in a crowd to have a HT refreshment.

Ive thought for years that some kind of permanent marquee  outside the shop/ticket office would be the perfect place to create a fanzone affair. 

Its not a huge area so nice and compact to create quite a busy, lively atmosphere. Most people seem to pass through on match days so with a few food vans and drinks stalls it could be ideal. 

Could also potentially drive more people in to the club shop and part with a bit extra money, especially day trippers (if we had any)

Sure someone can answer this-       when buying a ticket over the phone-does an email then get sent to you with details and barcode on that you just scan at the turnstile?          I got tranmere tickets from them and have to say I was pleasantly surprised at the efficiency.          If they can do it then surely we must.           Small steps as Keith n Dave say   

1 hour ago, W.cramp said:

Sure someone can answer this-       when buying a ticket over the phone-does an email then get sent to you with details and barcode on that you just scan at the turnstile?          I got tranmere tickets from them and have to say I was pleasantly surprised at the efficiency.          If they can do it then surely we must.           Small steps as Keith n Dave say   

It can be done, yes.

• Site Supporter
6 hours ago, Roger_Dubuis said:

A ticket booth in Bolton town centre, the club is losing out on some sales asking people to make a 12 mile round trip from Bolton to buy match tickets.

Didn't they have a stand-alone shop at one stage and then a corner of JD Shop in Market Place? Maybe it was deemed unnecessary once we left the Prem.

who owns the land next to Bolton arena? that the circus appears on?

I have always thought that would be ideal for Matchday,
it could rival the pubs on that side of the road &straight off the train & the bridge to the stadium is already set up. so no crossing issues 

like mentioned get local brewers and local foodies to pay for a pitch,  get bwfc stuff over there player photos/signings, live music etc
book out some of the 5 aside pitches on the arena for the kids, pen shootouts (noel Edmonds style with a guest keeper), 5 min matches for prizes etc 

Edited by Werder barmen

43 minutes ago, MickyD said:

Didn't they have a stand-alone shop at one stage and then a corner of JD Shop in Market Place? Maybe it was deemed unnecessary once we left the Prem.

Yes and I believe it cost a fortune for very little return. There was also a shop on Newport St going back to the late 90s. In this day and age, I’m not sure how much of an issue it is that people can’t just buy over the phone or online if they can’t get down to Middlebrook during the week, but that’s not to say it isn’t worth a go. 

1 hour ago, Leyther_Matt said:

Yes and I believe it cost a fortune for very little return. There was also a shop on Newport St going back to the late 90s. In this day and age, I’m not sure how much of an issue it is that people can’t just buy over the phone or online if they can’t get down to Middlebrook during the week, but that’s not to say it isn’t worth a go. 

Kitted out my bedroom from the club shop in Crompton Place