Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Private schools

globaldiver

5 hours ago, jayjayoghani said:

Should abolish religious schools. Utterly divisive. 

Can’t say I was happy when my lad came home from his normal non religious primary school telling me all about how god created the world. 

No way should any part of that nonsense be allowed in the curriculum.     

• Members
1 hour ago, Winchester White said:

Because it is perfectly reasonable for a parent to want the best education for their child. I certainly couldn't afford to send my kids to private school but I don't resent those that can.

Having a choice - something Labour would like to take away from you.

5 hours ago, bolty58 said:

Yep. Agree 100%

No axe to grind with private schools. Grammar Schools - that's what there should be more of.

Totally incorrect re grammar schools as all the evidence the other way is incontrovertible - and my daughter is at one! 

Just about to go through the whole divisive process all over again with child number two.

• Members
1 hour ago, gonzo said:

Can’t say I was happy when my lad came home from his normal non religious primary school telling me all about how god created the world. 

No way should any part of that nonsense be allowed in the curriculum.     

How can it be taught if it’s not fact? 

• Members
5 minutes ago, Not in Crawley said:

Totally incorrect re grammar schools as all the evidence the other way is incontrovertible - and my daughter is at one! 

Just about to go through the whole divisive process all over again with child number two.

You would fink so. Power to the peepul.

It’s not a belief, all longitude studies show it does nothing to help bright kids from poorer backgrounds in any significant way, and indeed creates a further division at the wrong age of educational development. That’s aside from testing some very spurious stuff like the reasoning paper. Again though, you would know best from your position of not having used the UK’s education system for 40 odd years.

How silly of me not realise.

3 minutes ago, Rudy’s Message said:

How can it be taught if it’s not fact? 

By using the phrase, "According to the Bible..."

There is a possibility that Gonzo Junior did only quote part of what he was told. After all, he's only 6/7?

My daughter goes to a non-religious (tick), Grammar School (tick) and she's doing RS to GCSE as they are taught about lots of different faiths and each individuals book of faith (all fictional bullshit IMO, but that's another discussion for another day), so she gets told that...

...according to the Bible / Koran / Book of Mormon / Rothman's yearbook etc etc...

• Site Supporter
12 minutes ago, Not in Crawley said:

Been through this before.

Suffice to say non academic kids don't have to be cast aside.

A two pronged system to allow kids to explore more practical solutions to career aspirations. Mashing all into one doesn't work.

1 minute ago, Not in Crawley said:

It’s not a belief, all longitude studies show it does nothing to help bright kids from poorer backgrounds in any significant way, and indeed creates a further division at the wrong age of educational development. That’s aside from testing some very spurious stuff like the reasoning paper. Again though, you would know best from your position of not having used the UK’s education system for 40 odd years.

How silly of me not realise.

I'd have to disagree based on my own personal experience.

My daughter goes to a grammar school here in Rossendale and as it's a school who chooses its intake purely on an academical basis, there seems to be far fewer "wasters" at the school. I'm not saying the teaching is better, but it has got to be a better place to learn at than at the local comp where half the class just want to piss about.

• Members
6 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

A two pronged system to allow kids to explore more practical solutions to career aspirations. Mashing all into one doesn't work.

Excellent points. I see enough from the UK, despite creepy Crawleys assertions, to know that there are legions who can't (or won't) pronounce their 'th's' properly, struggle with the difference between 'is' and 'are'  or 'of' and 'have'. More Grammar schools would fix this.

There are of course those who see Grammar schools as 'elitist'. Utter bollocks of course but they believe it like Wiganers believe it is right to vote for a cow if it is wearing a red rosette. Wasting your time to try and change this thinking unless you happen to have a two foot length of 4" x 2" in your hand.

Edited by bolty58

I’ll ignore Bolty’s comments as they are just plain daft. Grammar school’s are not a fix on poor, well grammar. 

There are always anecdotal evidence but the facts are in Kent - the only county never to abolish the 11 plus - there has never been a significant step in academic achievement (across any demographic) 

Moreover, what happens is middle class parents bump the system by paying for private tutors, so you essentially get a two tier paid for by the tax payer state system. That’s crazy, and of no huge benefit academically.

The school my daughter goes to is an all girl grammar and to be honest it’s like a private school in all but name, middle class or very wealthy children and everyone else pays for that privilege.

If there was an academic argument for them, then fine but as I say, nothing concrete says that tax payers should be contributing to this antiquated system.

• Members
17 minutes ago, Not in Crawley said:

I’ll ignore Bolty’s comments as they are just plain daft. Grammar school’s are not a fix on poor, well grammar. 

There are always anecdotal evidence but the facts are in Kent - the only county never to abolish the 11 plus - there has never been a significant step in academic achievement (across any demographic) 

Moreover, what happens is middle class parents bump the system by paying for private tutors, so you essentially get a two tier paid for by the tax payer state system. That’s crazy, and of no huge benefit academically.

The school my daughter goes to is an all girl grammar and to be honest it’s like a private school in all but name, middle class or very wealthy children and everyone else pays for that privilege.

If there was an academic argument for them, then fine but as I say, nothing concrete says that tax payers should be contributing to this antiquated system.

I don't have a piece of 4" x 2" handy and you are too far away.

46 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Why would you want a two pronged system? Why should we arbitrarily set an age where kids are boxed off? Its nonsense. I can't believe that people from Northern towns would ever back something like this. We want our kids to achieve not be boxed off at age 11 into the "practical stream". I was useless in school till I hit 14 or 15 realised I needed to knuckle down and get qualifications and worked my arse off to do so. I got a first class degree. Yet at age 12 I was second bottom set and written off. Why would you want kids to be "filtered" at any point?

• Site Supporter
Just now, bwfcfan5 said:

Why would you want a two pronged system? Why should we arbitrarily set an age where kids are boxed off? Its nonsense. I can't believe that people from Northern towns would ever back something like this. We want our kids to achieve not be boxed off at age 11 into the "practical stream". I was useless in school till I hit 14 or 15 realised I needed to knuckle down and get qualifications and worked my arse off to do so. I got a first class degree. Yet at age 12 I was second bottom set and written off. Why would you want kids to be "filtered" at any point?

Re read the previous discussion. Not advocating boxing anyone off.

Providing the best pathway for all kids. If that means transferred between the two so be it.

You only relate to a previous system; not a modern version.