Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Private schools

globaldiver

1 hour ago, MalcolmW said:

It's not half! It's 68%.

Oxford has got back up to 60.5%. It was 60% over 50 years ago before most grammar schools were integrated into comprehensives. Since then low expectations and political bias by many teachers has reduced the proportion of working class entrants.

That's a very, very strange way of looking at it. In fact, I'd go as far to say it's bollocks

Only 6% of kids attend private schools though, so it's still way, way short of where it should be.

• Site Supporter
9 minutes ago, mickbrown said:

That's a very, very strange way of looking at it. In fact, I'd go as far to say it's bollocks

Only 6% of kids attend private schools though, so it's still way, way short of where it should be.

Does that illustrate the value of private schools then, in achieving good results?

I know Oxbridge sometimes are accused of bending the rules a little to ensure the child of a wealthy individual gets in, irrespective of academic ability, however if they operated heavily along those lines, then they would then be less successful in maintaining their academic excellence and reputation.

12 minutes ago, mickbrown said:

Precisely, and the apologist always say the same thing - the fact it so few people go to public school in the country and yet they are overwhelmingly over represented at our top academic institutions. Its got a massive way to go - even the universities themselves acknowledge this.

1 hour ago, MalcolmW said:

It's not half! It's 68%.

Oxford has got back up to 60.5%. It was 60% over 50 years ago before most grammar schools were integrated into comprehensives. Since then low expectations and political bias by many teachers has reduced the proportion of working class entrants.

Just seen this - this actually backs up what I'm saying, it doesn't disprove it.

55 minutes ago, Spider said:

Oxbridge only accepts the top quality candidates.

Sending Thicky Braydon from the rough estate just to hit some ridiculous equality target is batshit mental.

You wouldn't let some club-footed, 28 stone diabetic play for Bolton just because it ticks a box with the liberals.

Actually....

Clayton Donaldson

3 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Does that illustrate the value of private schools then, in achieving good results?

I know Oxbridge sometimes are accused of bending the rules a little to ensure the child of a wealthy individual gets in, irrespective of academic ability, however if they operated heavily along those lines, then they would then be less successful in maintaining their academic excellence and reputation.

I'm pretty sure every kid who gets into Oxbridge is clever as fuck.

There is some sort of bias going on. It ain't a level playing field. That's obvious.

I suppose that's what your money gets you, a leg-up

• Site Supporter
2 minutes ago, mickbrown said:

I'm pretty sure every kid who gets into Oxbridge is clever as fuck.

There is some sort of bias going on. It ain't a level playing field. That's obvious.

I suppose that's what your money gets you, a leg-up

I agree to an extent: it isn't a level playing field.

If a person has the academic ability and desire though, they will be accepted. Unless they spray "kill the rich" on a wall prior to interview!

3 hours ago, miamiwhite said:

I think you’re missing the point fella, Malc was screaming regarding your mathematics.

No wonder you think 48 is greater than 52 :D

No he wasn’t - and I’ve said before about the imbalance in the percentages of Oxbridge.

Also like your Kahn obsession what the buggery has public school’s got to do with Brexit?

Classic pub bore 😄

1 minute ago, Not in Crawley said:

No he wasn’t - and I’ve said before about the imbalance in the percentages of Oxbridge.

Also like your Kahn obsession what the buggery has public school’s got to do with Brexit?

Classic pub bore 😄

Yes it was.....the rest was about Oxbridge....

As for percentages.....It was humour......above your head.

7 minutes ago, miamiwhite said:

Yes it was.....the rest was about Oxbridge....

As for percentages.....It was humour......above your head.

You are ace. I reckon you’re a just an algorithm, composite of dreary know-it-all’s from the university of life. No one can be so constantly odd.

If not, I applaud your efforts; sterling work.

55 minutes ago, Not in Crawley said:

You are ace. I reckon you’re a just an algorithm, composite of dreary know-it-all’s from the university of life. No one can be so constantly odd.

Says the most complete know it all condescending twat on here.

Ive forgotten more than you’ll ever know.

Edited by miamiwhite

• Site Supporter

Plenty of evidence that setting children assists their education, hence why nearly every school in the UK do it..

Grammar schools are merely an option for parents to reduce the amount of sets their kid can be in. Ensuring that their kid is educated amongst other high attaining students. 

Private schools generally are not setted, with having entrance exams and a strict entry criteria, alongside assisted places to help children up that ladder. The system does work and helps people,and caters generally for high attaining students.

I know of a bloke from a council estate in Salford, his wife from Moss side, 3 kids went to a private school. One is a director for a global programming company, one is a middle manager for global brand and the other is a Teacher. That private school has helped them break the wheel as such.

If someone can pay for it, and it doesn't harm others, then why not.. and if the school is willing to offer a free place for a council estate kid that can do well, where is the harm in that?

• Members
15 hours ago, Not in Crawley said:

I wasn't condescending - I was just making a simple point about your lack of recent experience in this area, set against your robust beliefs.

Maybe listening instead of hollering might mean you don't make knee jerk comments or assumptions about what is best for UK kids in 2019?

Hollering? Yee-har dude!

No idea  what the correct answer is tbh. I got in to Bolton School in the last days of grants from the council if you passed the entrance exam. Loads in my year from Daubhill, Morris Green, Little Hulton, Salford, etc. No way parents could ever afford it but got the opportunity. Most did well, and probably better than if they hadn’t had the chance 

That said, both mine went to Rivi and did well

Spent the weekend with a mate who grew up in Kirkby/Huyton going to a horror story of a school. Managed to get to uni, get a degree and is now very high up at British Aerospace in Warton

Suppose the answer could be parenting rather than the actual school

The real answer is to insist that a significant proportion, say 20%, of all places shall be free and awarded to pupils whose families could not afford fees, in order to retain chartable status.

Abolition is simply not the answer. The major schools would up sticks and move to Switzerland or UAE or wherever, and maybe their British land sold for development.

I was able to have both my children educated at private schools. I chose to do so, at considerable expense, because the sort of education I had had was not available to them as Grammar Schools had been abolished in the area. My son had the added benefit of being in the same form and football team as Gartside junior, and each was eventually Best Man at the other's wedding.

21 hours ago, Not in Crawley said:

I will not have anything bad said about miamiwhite. He dealt with the biggest know-it-all, opinionated, Yarkshire battleaxe of all time today. My mother. She loves him. He’s ace. End of. No other opinion counts. According to her. So it’s true

5 minutes ago, MancWanderer said:

I will not have anything bad said about miamiwhite. He dealt with the biggest know-it-all, opinionated, Yarkshire battleaxe of all time today. My mother. She loves him. He’s ace. End of. No other opinion counts. According to her. So it’s true

Cheers mate.

Was lovely to meet your mum and give honest advice, unlike the previous people.

44 minutes ago, miamiwhite said:

Oh and for clarity NiC, my reply to you last night was an ironic piss take, good to see you saw something correctly for once.

Yeah! That’s a Miami Bingo 5 point bonus.

Calling out something and then pretending he meant it.

Turning every post into Brexit (1 point) or The mayor of London (2)

Signing off in Polish (3)

Commenting on how many ladies from Oxford there are on marches (6)

Endless Miami fun for all the (totally not racist me mate) family! 

14 minutes ago, Not in Crawley said:

You really are one boring twat.

Edited by miamiwhite

• Members
13 hours ago, Not in Crawley said:

I'd love this fine fellow to meet your best mate S. What a fucking shock to the system that would be for him.

Won't be long before NIC plays the Nazi card. There's usually a natural progression from a racist jibe (no matter how veiled) to a comparison with Adolf in a relatively short period from these types.